944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Your Top Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 04:34 PM
peter_euro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Pearceman3
LoL thanks for some answers guys...wut color is your 3000gt? i really like those cars...they actually look like a sport car unlike the stealth...lol just sick of people who know nothing about cars say there is no difference
LOL, this is really a toss up to decide which one looks better...

this:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...329_1_full.jpg

or this: (the car got vandalized really really bad a while ago and is being completely repainted - from the original black pearl to Porsche black (LOL)... when it comes back it should be awesome with all decals gone and after bare metal repaint.... I do not have any older pics with me right now but here is the link to what it looked after being vandalized.... but you should get a pretty good idea what it will be like when it comes back....

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/5d2095/...SAE1_A_.u8wm8k)
Old 12-04-2003, 05:14 PM
ttwirz
Racer

Peter Nice rims. You wonder what goes through someones head when they key up a car. I have an 88 na. I am in the process of putting an SFR Super charger so it should have some more go. I Have the phone dials and want to up grade. I like the profile of your set up. Are your rear rims / tires wider than the fronts. if so What is the size and offset of the rim and what size tires do you have. I have asked this question wanting to know what size rim tire I can fit on the rears but know one replies.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:18 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttwirz:
You can definately go with 8" rims in the rears. 245/45-16's on 8" rims are really nice.

A friend of mine has 8.5x16 rims in the rears, and he doesn't experience any rubbing issues.

BTW: You can put 8" rims on the fronts as well. IMHO, doing that, and running with 245/45-16's at all four corners makes the car handle so much better: much of the inherent understeer our cars exhibit is nicely dialed out!

Regards,
-Z.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:33 PM
peter_euro
Instructor

Originally posted by ttwirz
Peter Nice rims. You wonder what goes through someones head when they key up a car. I have an 88 na. I am in the process of putting an SFR Super charger so it should have some more go. I Have the phone dials and want to up grade. I like the profile of your set up. Are your rear rims / tires wider than the fronts. if so What is the size and offset of the rim and what size tires do you have. I have asked this question wanting to know what size rim tire I can fit on the rears but know one replies.
Not sure which car you are talking about, LOL... The Porsche has 8f and 10r wheels with 225/40/18 and 255/35/18 (my previous 18s worked fine with 265/35 tires but these wheels and/or tire combination causes rears to rub in 265 size so I had to downsize to 255) . VR4 uses 245/35 on 19/8.5 all around... BTW, my Pathfinder runs real well on 265/70 tires over 17/8.5 rims (after a 3in suspension lift)... I think it is pretty cool with that 17,18 and 19 progression...
Old 12-04-2003, 05:46 PM
Florida951
Racer

155 in the 951 following a friend in an N/A that might or might not post here! =) Clear road, no houses, no people, no other cars well except for my friend, light poles by the road, one lane, no room for error my life at risk =) .
Old 12-04-2003, 06:59 PM
ttwirz
Racer

155 in an NA cool

BTW, my Pathfinder runs real well on 265/70 tires over 17/8.5 rims (after a 3in suspension lift)... I think it is pretty cool with that 17,18 and 19 progression...
I have 32 1/2 x 11 1/2 on 16s, 1 1/2 Rancho lift, Downy headers with catback K&N intake and filter. It sounds fiercer then its bite. I was going to get a Toyota Super Charger when I came across a cool red car on a used car lot and my life has changed forever

SC went to the new found love. If the truck had feelings I think it would need some prosaic since it also got kicked out of the garage.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:06 PM
peter_euro
Instructor

155 in an NA cool

I have 32 1/2 x 11 1/2 on 16s, 1 1/2 Rancho lift, Downy headers with catback K&N intake and filter. It sounds fiercer then its bite. I was going to get a Toyota Super Charger when I came across a cool red car on a used car lot and my life has changed forever

SC went to the new found love. If the truck had feelings I think it would need some prosaic since it also got kicked out of the garage.
hehe, I have options with my truck that you do not... if anything ever happen to the motor, there will be a 300ZX twin turbo in there... I already checked and it is doable
Old 12-05-2003, 12:22 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

Back to the speed issue, I did 160 in my 89 944 T, (it was still pulling) here in Ohio...and NOT on a racetrack. It was perfectly legal. Those of you who were around a few years back may remember how I did it.

Back to the discussion, there is a difference between reckless and a calculated risk. Both are relative (and subjective)
Old 12-05-2003, 12:30 AM
ttwirz
Racer

PHP Code:
It was perfectly legal 
???
Old 12-05-2003, 12:33 AM
peter_euro
Instructor

Originally posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
Back to the speed issue, I did 160 in my 89 944 T, (it was still pulling) here in Ohio...and NOT on a racetrack. It was perfectly legal. Those of you who were around a few years back may remember how I did it.

Back to the discussion, there is a difference between reckless and a calculated risk. Both are relative (and subjective)
amen
as long as nobody else is being at risk, it is my business to get this shot of adrenaline... WTF have high performance cars if you never find out what they can do... 160 in 951S or 89 951 (same thing) sounds about right...
Old 12-05-2003, 01:04 AM
ttwirz
Racer

Whats the top end on an 88 na? I need to do some shock and tire replacement before I can see for myself.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:39 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PHP Code:
It was perfectly legal 
???

Old 12-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Z-man
Race Director

I've heard this said often:
As a driver, if I only had the reaction times of youth coupled with the experience of age, I'd win more races!
I am not trying to make this into a youth vs. old fart argument, but the quote above kinda does apply.

First off, the biggest assumption I have here is that MOST people who are into high speed (130+mph) driving on vast stretches of public highways are of the younger demographic. If this statement is untrue, then the rest of my post here is meaningless.

So, if it is the younger crowd that typically is involved in such activities, then something that must be considered in the 'safety' part of the equation is the fact that while they may have faster reaction times than the old farts, they have far less experience driving.

Here's an example of this: it's going to snow here tonight. Some people tonight, who have never driven in the snow aren't going to know what to do when they start sliding a little, yet others will have no problem getting home. The difference? Experience driving in the snow.

The same can apply to high speed driving: driving at high speeds in a relatively straight line is pretty easy. However, when things start to go not necessarily as planned, it is experience, not reaction times that will most likely bring things back under control.

As such, I'd much rather be riding as a passenger with an experienced driver at 100 mph vs. a newbie at 75.

Just another thing to consider. Any thoughts, comments?

-Z.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:39 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Z,

There are a few 25 year olds that have way more experience with high speed car control than many 50 year olds.

For example, lets take me, my dad, and the last instructor I had at PRI, Tom.

I'm 24, my dad's 55, and I'm guessing Tom was in his late 50s too.

I have much quicker reflexes than my dad, and better car control.

Tom however, has much better car control than myself and WAY more experience. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Tom's reflexes are just as good or better than mine.

So it varies greatly...

Also, someone is going to jump in and say something about F1, CART drivers all being relatively young. Yes, but that is because of two reasons:
1: Racing sleeps with Advertising, and young drivers sell better than old ones.
2: Younger drivers still have that youthfull exuberance that dies with old age (not with everyone.. i know..)
3: While F1 still requires driving skill, it also requires intense fitness, focus, and aggression. I have a hard time believe that these drivers become more aggressive with age.. That aggression has to be balanced with patience - just the right amount. Some guys develop too much patience and loose all their aggression. Those are the older guys you see in F1 that start loosing.. and go race Enduro or something else.

anyways.. too many generalisations..
Old 12-07-2003, 11:00 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Rich: good points: very valid views. Thanks!

Anyone else have input?

I like the way this thread is going now...

-Z.

Quick Reply: Your Top Speed?