944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Your Top Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 09:01 PM
Pearceman3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im done argueing with you but i just want to say that everytime you drive you take a risk and pretty much put innocent people in a state of risk...even though the risk you pose is somwhat out of your control. I do agree that 100mph+ is rekless (i mean if a cop radared you youd get a rekless endangerment ticket) but i tried to do it in a controled enviroment...and sorry i couldnt go to a track but i do not have extra money as i did pay for my car insurence and gas. And sorry if i affended you at all Z-man i didnt mean to pick a fight with you if you think i did.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:31 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pearceman:
No, you haven't offended me, and I too, don't mean to pick a fight with you. Obviously, we don't see eye to eye on this issue.

I do suggest that you save up $$ and try a track event. The $$ spent is well worth the thrill you will get!

Peace,
-Z.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:21 PM
ttwirz
Racer

Wink

This is all relative. Yes they are public roads. Yes 100+ is excessive. I am a new owner of my loved 944. Lets be real, why did I buy it. It's a Porsche. (My time was up on the go fast two wheelers) what do Porsches do. They go fast and handle well. they were designed to drive at higher speeds meaning they are equipped with better handling characteristics to take on such a task. A mini van was designed to move people and stuff. 100 + in a minivan with your wife and kids at 5 in the afternoon is reckless. Stepping it up a bit in your 944 one evening when traffic is scarce is a bit different. (notice I did not say it was not reckless). I read through this thread and felt like I was reading a political editorial. everyone way off the the extreme of the point they are trying to make. When I first got mine people the first think people would ask is "How fast does it go" I would reply fast enough. Finally I had to find out. I have driven 170 on two wheels on public roads (reckless) so I am familiar with speed. I ran my 944 up to 130 felt satisfied and left it at that. none the less I had to check it out. I don't think I was being reckless. I was on a known strait on an interstate, no cars in site. I stopped at 130 because thats as far as my experience would alow me to run the new car I was not 99% familial with. Both sides have truth to them when not viewed in the extreme. My personal favorite was the toddler at 2 am, although theoretically it could happen. If life and risk is guided by such extremes in either direction we may as well bring the Pinto back and be happy (no wait those would explode on impact)
Old 12-02-2003, 01:01 AM
Eric 930
Instructor

What's going on here?? The guy asked a simple question here and he gets pounded by a bunch of politician wana-be's. Why don't you ****** just answer his original question and keep your stupid religious beliefs and politics to yourself. If you can't, then find another forum that caters to this type of BS. If you don't like his question then skip it and find another one that you do like. Opinions are like *** Holes, everyone has one and they all stink. I don't know about you guys but I don't want this form to fill up this garbage.

Pearceman, As far as your original question goes, I've hit 115 in my S2 a couple of times without pushing it very hard. I'm kind of curios though what is the top speed of a S2.

Eric

79 930
89 S2
Old 12-02-2003, 10:14 AM
ttwirz
Racer

Thumbs up

I ran my 944 up to 130
I am mid install on an SFR SC so That number may change.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:02 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Matt said it very well. We all have broken the law at times. Luckily I know the secluded highways and byways of the West very well. I've topped 140 numerous times in the 951, 125 in the 944, 140 in the Miata, and and 155 in the Q45. Was this stupid, dangerous, irresponsible behavior? You tell me. The roads I choose for this I know as intimately as I now the operating condition of the car I take them on. I've tracked cars for years and done things on secluded public roads that would put me in jail. I never drive at speed on any road where the safety of others comes into play nor do I drive like an idiot in traffic. There are plenty of opportunities to speed but the risk isn't worth it. I agree the track is always the best venue for sating the beast but if I waited for track days to blow the carbon out I'm afraid I might as well buy a Yugo.

I've been driving for over 40 years with only one speeding ticket in 1985. I've never caused an accident of any kind.

That said "Ya all be careful out there"
Old 12-02-2003, 05:48 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

tut tut tut children
whats the average age on this forum anyways ? 16!?...
Old 12-03-2003, 12:04 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by Eric 930
...Why don't you ****** just answer his original question and keep your stupid religious beliefs and politics to yourself. If you can't, then find another forum that caters to this type of BS...
The same can be said about posting stuff about excessive speed. After all, the Rennlist forums are about Porsches and performance driving, NOT about excessive, reckless, and illegal driving.

BTW, there's a forum that caters to the type of threads that you'd like to see: www.clubsi.com.

Thank you, and have a nice day.
-Z.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:49 AM
drew_816
Advanced

Default oh come on

I routinely go 80. Where I live, you get high-beamed if you are doing 75 in the passing lane on the highways. I've hit 120 several times in an integra. In my 928, I haven't exceeded 90, but thats because I need to restore it some more.

I hear in some states everyone drives under and around the speed limit. In the bay area, you go 5mph over in a 35 zone or you get tailed. At 2 in the morning on my way home with a nice 4 lane freeway empty for miles in front and behind, I have 4 lanes to avoid an animal or something and a giant straightaway.

If you guys want to go quietly into your graves and not take any minor risks, fine, but don't be calling us stupid.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:17 AM
Eric 930
Instructor

Z-man, I didn't single you out, but since you responded I guess you felt the word ***** fits your description and you need to defend your fellow ******.

I don't know about your state, but in mine if you take off from a red light and hammer through the gears until you hit the speed limit you can be ticketed for reckless operation of a vehicle and also excessive show of speed. If you say you've never done this before your a liar. I'm not saying you've ever topped it out on a public road but I am saying you've done a few jack rabbit starts before.

PS. Keep your favorite web sites to yourself, I'm sure you have all kind of bling bling on your civic but this is a Porsche everything forum and we're not interested in your Honda.

Eric

79 930
89 S2
Old 12-03-2003, 01:36 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by Eric 930
Z-man, I didn't single you out, but since you responded I guess you felt the word ***** fits your description and you need to defend your fellow ******.

I don't know about your state, but in mine if you take off from a red light and hammer through the gears until you hit the speed limit you can be ticketed for reckless operation of a vehicle and also excessive show of speed. If you say you've never done this before your a liar. I'm not saying you've ever topped it out on a public road but I am saying you've done a few jack rabbit starts before.

PS. Keep your favorite web sites to yourself, I'm sure you have all kind of bling bling on your civic but this is a Porsche everything forum and we're not interested in your Honda.

Eric

79 930
89 S2
Eric,
Thank you, thank you so much for joining in: you have brought this thread to a completely new low.

This debate has been brought up time and again, and while people have gotten emotional and a bit hot under the collar (myself included), we have kept control for the most part. You may want to read a little more of what was written in this thread so you can understand the approach most of us (on both sides) have been taking.

Resorting to name calling and such is really uncalled for. I do not consider myself to be a *****, nor others who believe the same way I do about speeding. I also do not enjoy being labeled as one. It is very interesting how based on what you've read here, you feel you know me enough to cast such judgement upon me. I prefer that you obstain from further judgement: it would be much appreciated.

I do not own a civic, nor am I a part of the "Bling! Bling!" crowd. I do NOT frequent clubsi.com. I was just offering up an alternative website where posting stories about excessive speeds on public highways would be welcomed and accepted. As you can see, there are plenty of people on Rennlist who object to such topics.

Comparing 'street-light to speed-limit' acceleration to 130+ mph speeds is like comparing apples to oranges. Assuming that I'm against living life to it's fullest just because I don't condone high speeds on public roads is simply a bad assumption. But then again, I find your sense of judgement to be questionable at best.

So, Eric, let's make a deal: I will gladly get off my soapbox and stop discussing the evils of speed, if you stop posting such nonsense.

Warmest regards,
-Zoltan.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:07 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Why can't it be seen that "wreckless" driving isn't some objective, numerically-based idea that is set in stone. To scald others for going x mph in circumstances unknown is about as mature as the old "your mom..." jokes. "Wreckless" driving, although nicely stated for us by law (20 over limit, or anything above 80mph in VA), is based on too many factors to bicker about. Driving ability, knowledge of environment, weather and conditions, awareness of risk, etc. all effect how "wreckless" or dangerous the driving can be. As for giving examples of children running out into streets at all hours of the night onto highways... thats absolutely absurd! Get real! And furthermore, do those giving this example expect anyone to really believe that going the speed limit, say 65 or 70mph, on that road and going 100+ on that road are so different? Would you be able to avoid an obstacle at 70 at night from the time they enter your sight, but not be able to at 100?

Basing absurd scenarios on one persons post and judging him/her as a bad driver or a menace to society is stupid. Whether their driving is wreckless is mere conjecture.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:31 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by FSAEracer03
And furthermore, do those giving this example expect anyone to really believe that going the speed limit, say 65 or 70mph, on that road and going 100+ on that road are so different? Would you be able to avoid an obstacle at 70 at night from the time they enter your sight, but not be able to at 100?
It is a documented fact that it takes a longer time and a greater distance to stop when going at a higher speed.

Here's an example:
At 65mph, it takes 345 ft to come to a complete stop.
At 90mph, it takes 584 ft to come ot a complete stop, a notable difference. (Source: http://www.csgnetwork.com/stopdistinfo.html).

This is not rocket science, it's simple algebra!

-Zoltan.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:44 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Z,

in your example, the difference is 239 feet. However that is at 15fpsps decelleration rate. Our cars can easily do 30fpsps, or 1g+. The difference in that case would be less than 100' which would practically be negligable - as you would definately see the obstacle before 100' and have ample time to react.

the stopping distance has nothing to do with how close the obstacle is to you when it jumps into your path. If a deer jumps out at you 10' in front of your car, at 60mph, you may as well be going 100 becuase you're ****ed either way.

A lot of people say that going faster is more unsafe only because it takes more time to stop. well the major fault in that arguement is, for example, my cavalier at 60mph takes more room to stop than my 951 at 100mph. And that is threshold braking for both cars.

Anyways, I'm just amazed that this thread is still going. I thought by now it would die.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:56 AM
ttwirz
Racer

This is a forum for Porsches right? The near supper car. The fact that the banter goes on about excessive anything is is pretty funny. I think all this has little to do with speed really and more so to do with personal opinion and personal rules which we guid our lives by. Just think if you are going 150 then the deer would jump out behind you.

Quick Reply: Your Top Speed?