944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Your Top Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 09:41 AM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Matt Olde
I'll go 90 or 95 on a 70 or 75 mph road any day if it means passing/getting in front of idiots who can't drive, signal to change lanes, are drunk, or are your average American inconsiderate, distracted driver. There is nothing magical about 100 mph -- what makes 100 mph any less safe then 70 or 80 mph? Either way you're going to be toast if you wreck. And who is the government (besides the governing body) to determine what is safe? Me at 90 passing idiots at 75 on their cell phones is much more safe for me then driving near those same idiots.

Speed limits are stupid -- they server one major purpose -- generate income for the governing body of that particular area.

What makes going 70 during the time when the national speed limit was 55 any less safe then going 70 when that same road is now 70?

I adhere to the speed limit for one reason and ONE reason only -- to keep my record clean of speeding tickets. If there were no limits, I would go the speed that was prudent for me, the car, the weather, traffic, and time of day. I don't need anyone else telling me what is and what is not safe.

With that said, if this guy wants to go 100+ on some highway somewhere, and understands the risks associated with that, have at it. Now, if you do it in conditions not suited to that sort of driving, you're an idiot and shouldn't have a license, and I'd be glad to take it from you. If you do it racing some buddy down a major strip in rush hour, I hope you wreck your car into a pole and kill yourself before you kill someone else.

Maybe it's from living in Germany for 8 years, but speed isn't a big deal to me. I don't speed any more then 10 over at the max, but I only do that for the reason listed above. Other then that, there is nothing magical about 100 mph, seeing how you better be in the far right lane if you'll be cruising at that speed on the Autobahn.

Drive safe,
Matt
Well said Matt!!
Old 11-30-2003, 07:51 PM
Pearceman3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just to clear things up when i was doing a 100+ it was on a country road at 10:00 pm. O yea and if u think ur cavalier hitting 100 is crazy.... my 97 t100 4 banger pickup truck has seen 115...on a track of course
Old 11-30-2003, 11:29 PM
Pearceman3
Addict
Rennlist Member

O yea and all i meant by "the 944 section of this forum is gettin boring" is that no new topics have been posted in a while and no one has really seemed to be responding to much to the ones allready posted...sorry i really didnt mean anything by it, i really enjoy this forum
Old 12-01-2003, 01:04 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

BTW Pearceman, in the second to last paragraph on my post, I wasn't specifically referring to you when I said I hope you die before you kill someone. I was referring to people who race in heavy traffic, which I have seen end up fatal before, fortunately only for the racers, and you obviously do not fit this as this is not what you were doing.

Be safe!

-Matt
Old 12-01-2003, 02:34 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I might as well jump in to this mess. There is a HUGE difference between 100+mph and 1 to 10 mph over the limit: if you even try to justify 100+ mph speeding by equating it to +1 mph (even 10 mph) over the limit, well, you're just an ignorant person, plain and simple.
Driving 100+ mph in the USA on ANY road, I consider to be excessively speeding.
Originally posted by Pearceman3
Just to clear things up when i was doing a 100+ it was on a country road at 10:00 pm.
So, lemme get this straight: you feel that on a country road at 10:00pm it is safe for you to drive over 100mph? Some questions for you, Pearceman:

1. What was the speed limit on said road?
2. Were there any side roads where a slower car could have gotten in your path?
3. How close were the houses to the road?
4. What animals (deer, foxes, dogs, cats...etc) are in the area?
5. What condition was the road you were driving?
6. What condition was your car? When was the last time your lug nuts were torqued on your wheels? Your ball-joints checked? Your suspension looked at?
7. How many other cars did you see on the road when you did your little stunt?
8. What condition were you in? Sleepy, drained after a long day?
9. What was the visibility like at 10:00pm on a country road? (I'm assuming there were no street lights, were there?)

I think on even a 'deserted' country road, there are too many uncontrolable circumstances that make what you did dangerous. Heck, even on a racetrack, there are situations that are uncontrolable, but there, at least everyone is aware of the dangers, and willing to be responsible for their actions, and suffer the consequences!

For me, the bottom line is this: there is no excuse for excessive speeding on public roads! No matter how you try to justify it, that is simply not the place to testing your ability and your car's ability.

Besides, as alluded to above, any dumb idiot can to 100+ in just about any modern car. So why bother?
Matt H
Why own a sports car if you are not going to enjoy it?
Matt: I do own a sports car, and I do enjoy it, in the proper venue! I NEVER drive excessively fast on public streets, especially with my Porsche. HOWEVER, when I drive my 944 on the track, I drive very, very differently! Sure, I can hit 100+ mph on the track (I regularly do!) but for me the fun comes at the end of the straight, when I've gotta get on the brakes, shift into a lower gear, and tear though an apex! In terms of driving a car, there is nothing more thrilling for me than to drive my car on a racetrack. It is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Most of you people who drive excessively fast on public roads have not EVER driven their cars in the best environment suited for such drivng: the racetrack. Do yourself a favor: try a DE event, or get into club racing: you will soon see how stupid it is to drive excessively fast on public roads.

Getting off my soapbox, and putting on my Nomex suit, (flame away),
-Zoltan.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:34 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt - your first response was well said, much better with words than I am as it is exactly the message I was trying to get across.

Z-Man - I have driven numerous cars on track. I am not that fast (though I will be working on that next year!) I have lots of track experience but I am still learning. I am going to start from scratch next year with a new instructor and see what I can learn.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:46 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Originally posted by Z-man
Well, I might as well jump in to this mess. There is a HUGE difference between 100+mph and 1 to 10 mph over the limit: if you even try to justify 100+ mph speeding by equating it to +1 mph (even 10 mph) over the limit, well, you're just an ignorant person, plain and simple.
Driving 100+ mph in the USA on ANY road, I consider to be excessively speeding.

So, lemme get this straight: you feel that on a country road at 10:00pm it is safe for you to drive over 100mph? Some questions for you, Pearceman:

6. What condition was your car? When was the last time your lug nuts were torqued on your wheels? Your ball-joints checked? Your suspension looked at?
9. What was the visibility like at 10:00pm on a country road? (I'm assuming there were no street lights, were there?)

I think on even a 'deserted' country road, there are too many uncontrolable circumstances that make what you did dangerous. Heck, even on a racetrack, there are situations that are uncontrolable, but there, at least everyone is aware of the dangers, and willing to be responsible for their actions, and suffer the consequences!

For me, the bottom line is this: there is no excuse for excessive speeding on public roads! No matter how you try to justify it, that is simply not the place to testing your ability and your car's ability.

Besides, as alluded to above, any dumb idiot can to 100+ in just about any modern car. So why bother?

Matt: I do own a sports car, and I do enjoy it, in the proper venue! I NEVER drive excessively fast on public streets, especially with my Porsche. HOWEVER, when I drive my 944 on the track, I drive very, very differently! Sure, I can hit 100+ mph on the track (I regularly do!) but for me the fun comes at the end of the straight, when I've gotta get on the brakes, shift into a lower gear, and tear though an apex! In terms of driving a car, there is nothing more thrilling for me than to drive my car on a racetrack. It is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Most of you people who drive excessively fast on public roads have not EVER driven their cars in the best environment suited for such drivng: the racetrack. Do yourself a favor: try a DE event, or get into club racing: you will soon see how stupid it is to drive excessively fast on public roads.

Getting off my soapbox, and putting on my Nomex suit, (flame away),
-Zoltan.
Zman you can be my lawyer any day of the week
Old 12-01-2003, 02:52 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by 944S2NUT
Zman you can be my lawyer any day of the week
Sure thing!

Just don't ask me to get you out of a speeding ticket!
Old 12-01-2003, 02:59 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Never had a speeding ticket in my life. Only ticket I ever got was going thru what she saw was a amber light, when in fact it was green! It turned amber as I was midway thru the intersection, she figured it was amber before I enter the intersection! ERRR
Old 12-01-2003, 04:40 PM
Pearceman3
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Z-man
[B]

Heres my approach...if you never live life a little bit dangeriously then real saftey never means **** to you! If i wanted to tighten ever nut or bolt on my car before i drove it 25 mph to mcdonalds or something (which im guessing you do if you ask yourself all of these questions before you go driving) i would not have bought a porsche! Hope i dont sound mean just wanted to say what i was thinking.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:58 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Pearceman:
100+ mph is not living a "little bit dangerously," it's living ALOT dangerously, especially if you consider innocent lives that you may effect if things go wrong.

Not trying to be mean, but if you feel 100+ mph is ok, then you have no idea what real safety is about.

-Z.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:33 PM
Pearceman3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pearceman:
100+ mph is not living a "little bit dangerously," it's living ALOT dangerously, especially if you consider innocent lives that you may effect if things go wrong.

Not trying to be mean, but if you feel 100+ mph is ok, then you have no idea what real safety is about.

-Z.
my advise to you is never go over to germany or places like it because EVERYONE LIVES DANGERIOUSLY THERE ..you would prolly have a nervouse breakdown with all the people "putting innocent lives in danger"
Old 12-01-2003, 06:53 PM
Z-man
Race Director

my advise to you is never go over to germany or places like it because EVERYONE LIVES DANGERIOUSLY THERE ..you would prolly have a nervouse breakdown with all the people "putting innocent lives in danger"
Oooo: now I'm scared.

The fact is, you live in the USA, and drive recklessly here. What the folks do in Germany has nothing to do with it. And, I never said anything about driving fast on the autobahn: there, higher speeds are expected.

And, you may want to read some of the posts on the 924/944/968 board regarding your post. Be informed before you post.

You have no clue, my friend.
-Zoltan.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:00 PM
Pearceman3
Addict
Rennlist Member

You have no clue, my friend.
-Zoltan. [/B]
I think ur the clueless one. You just attack me thinking im just plowing down preschool recess yards or something. I chose where i go fast very carefully, i drive the same road 3 or 4 times a day with 3 houses total on the road (like i said out in the country) and i rarely see any cars on the road, and ive never seen one on it after 6:00 pm. How dare u call me clueless when you know nothing about my situation except that i was speeding.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:38 PM
Z-man
Race Director

I think ur the clueless one. You just attack me thinking im just plowing down preschool recess yards or something. I chose where i go fast very carefully, i drive the same road 3 or 4 times a day with 3 houses total on the road (like i said out in the country) and i rarely see any cars on the road, and ive never seen one on it after 6:00 pm. How dare u call me clueless when you know nothing about my situation except that i was speeding.
The only thing I know about your situation THAT MATTERS is the fact that you are doing these high speed runs on PUBLIC ROADS. Let me spell it out for you: PUBLIC ROADS means that OTHER people have the ability to drive on, across, over these roads. Other people, especially those who live in the houses you state are on said road, may want to check their mail, or take out the garbage. And just becuase YOU haven't seen anyone on the road after 6:00pm does not guarantee there is no one else on these roads! The fact that there are houses on the roads MEANS there are people there.

Oh, and you never addressed my 9 questions before.
-Zoltan.

Quick Reply: Your Top Speed?