Notices
928 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: 928 Specialists

Ultimate High Output Bosch Alternator fits 1985-1995

 
Old 12-09-2016, 01:14 PM
  #46  
GregBBRD

Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
GregBBRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 9,543
Default

Originally Posted by hlee96 View Post
Can I reserve one for my car?
Yes. Thank you for your support!

Will also reserve you the later drive pieces and mounting pieces for the later 6 rib belt.

To think a "V" belt or the early 3 rib belt will drive one of these monsters is ridiculous. Porsche figured out they couldn't do this, reliably, with just over 100 amps!
GregBBRD is offline  
Old 12-09-2016, 01:30 PM
  #47  
Speedtoys
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Speedtoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
Posts: 9,806
Default

Originally Posted by Speedtoys View Post
Let me be the first to say..

I'll take it.

We'll install it when I bring Mr. Leaky down for warranty inspection.
Just makin sure you saw this.
Speedtoys is online now  
Old 12-09-2016, 02:07 PM
  #48  
hlee96
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
hlee96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Near Mushroom Capital of the World
Posts: 2,527
Default

Thanks Greg! Looking forward to my "GB928" in the future.
-Hoi
Originally Posted by GregBBRD View Post
Yes. Thank you for your support!

Will also reserve you the later drive pieces and mounting pieces for the later 6 rib belt.

To think a "V" belt or the early 3 rib belt will drive one of these monsters is ridiculous. Porsche figured out they couldn't do this, reliably, with just over 100 amps!
hlee96 is offline  
Old 12-09-2016, 04:52 PM
  #49  
GregBBRD

Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
GregBBRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 9,543
Default

Originally Posted by Speedtoys View Post
Just makin sure you saw this.
Yup, got it.

Just not counting it, because I don't have to build it and Mary doesn't have to ship it, right now.
__________________
greg brown




714 879 9072
[email protected]

There's always different ways to do a particular job.

The trick, in life, is to know which of those ways are stupid....
GregBBRD is offline  
Old 12-09-2016, 06:08 PM
  #50  
BC
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 24,489
Default

Such great products coming out of GB's shop.
BC is offline  
Old 12-10-2016, 01:06 AM
  #51  
Ducman82
 
Ducman82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 6,948
Default

OK! for us OB/SOB folks. Now my car has the S3 PS/Alt bracket, and obviously the crank pullet to go along with it. The exchange from my GM unit to the Uber unit took all of about 20 min. and most of that was due to having to pull up the shark fan shroud to get the long bolt out (not needed with the new bolt provided).

photos are pretty self explanatory. MM pics are at idle, and at idle with every single thing i can turn on turned on.

On the drive home in LA traffic i used my Laptop (mega squirt system/Tuner Studio) to watch the voltage that the CAR sees. not just at the jump post. never dropped below 14v, even when heat soaked in traffic. lowest i ever saw was 13.7 when coasting to a stop, and it recovers to 14v in a heart beat.

i will report more on real world results as i DD this baby.
Attached Images        
Ducman82 is offline  
Old 12-10-2016, 02:29 AM
  #52  
GregBBRD

Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
GregBBRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 9,543
Default

Originally Posted by Ducman82 View Post
OK! for us OB/SOB folks. Now my car has the S3 PS/Alt bracket, and obviously the crank pullet to go along with it. The exchange from my GM unit to the Uber unit took all of about 20 min. and most of that was due to having to pull up the shark fan shroud to get the long bolt out (not needed with the new bolt provided).

photos are pretty self explanatory. MM pics are at idle, and at idle with every single thing i can turn on turned on.

On the drive home in LA traffic i used my Laptop (mega squirt system/Tuner Studio) to watch the voltage that the CAR sees. not just at the jump post. never dropped below 14v, even when heat soaked in traffic. lowest i ever saw was 13.7 when coasting to a stop, and it recovers to 14v in a heart beat.

i will report more on real world results as i DD this baby.
Interesting stuff, there.

Because my alternator is equipped with a one way clutch on the pulley, the alternator will freewheel when the engine slows down rapidly.

That is why you see a voltage drop, which instantly recovers.

As I recall, the GM conversion was supposed to be better than the stock alternator.

Any idea of what the output of the GM alternator would be, in the same drive?
GregBBRD is offline  
Old 12-10-2016, 02:48 AM
  #53  
Rob Edwards
Archive Gatekeeper
Rennlist Member
 
Rob Edwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 13,596
Default

Yeah, when letting off the throttle after accelerating past 4500 or so, there's a very tranisent dip on the voltmeter as the pulley freewheels. Like a manifold pressure gauge when the the blowoff valve operates.
Rob Edwards is online now  
Old 12-10-2016, 03:04 AM
  #54  
dr bob
Chronic Tool Dropper
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
dr bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 17,604
Default

Originally Posted by GregBBRD View Post
Interesting stuff, there.

Because my alternator is equipped with a one way clutch on the pulley, the alternator will freewheel when the engine slows down rapidly.

That is why you see a voltage drop, which instantly recovers.

....
Scratches head again. The alternator speed will never be less than the crank drive speed, always at or above idle speed while the engine is running. Meanwhile, Rob and Jake's tests show that the alternator will deliver enough current to maintain about 14 Volts even at idle speed. No reason to expect the voltage drop. In fact, you are selling the idea that there won't be one.

The one-way clutch seems like it won't do much if anything an auto gearbox car. Just the rotating mass of the crank plus the torque converter would seem to prevent rapid crank slowdown on throttle lift. Any real-world feedback on that yet?
dr bob is offline  
Old 12-10-2016, 04:50 AM
  #55  
Speedtoys
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Speedtoys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
Posts: 9,806
Default

Originally Posted by GregBBRD View Post
Yup, got it.

Just not counting it, because I don't have to build it and Mary doesn't have to ship it, right now.
Nope. When we work on Mr Leaky, we'll install it.
Speedtoys is online now  
Old 12-10-2016, 09:48 AM
  #56  
GregBBRD

Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thread Starter
 
GregBBRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 9,543
Default

Originally Posted by dr bob View Post
Scratches head again. The alternator speed will never be less than the crank drive speed, always at or above idle speed while the engine is running. Meanwhile, Rob and Jake's tests show that the alternator will deliver enough current to maintain about 14 Volts even at idle speed. No reason to expect the voltage drop. In fact, you are selling the idea that there won't be one.

The one-way clutch seems like it won't do much if anything an auto gearbox car. Just the rotating mass of the crank plus the torque converter would seem to prevent rapid crank slowdown on throttle lift. Any real-world feedback on that yet?
I disn't initially think much about this one way clutch until I saw it in action....this "piece" is very new, to me.

While I knew it would come into action when the crankshaft quickly quit spinning (engine shutdown), it also makes sense (to me), that it must also work when there is a rapid deceleration of the engine, like when shifting or slowing down.

While the alternator obviously is making its own resistance to turning because it is working to produce electricity, it also has an inertial factor involved.....that armature is spinning very fast.

If the engine slows quicker than the alternator, the one way clutch seems like it should come into play, until the rpm requirement equalizes....taking all of this load away from that belt, which would normally have to "absorb" this rpm change.

I'm thinking that the rapid transient drop in voltage output while slowing or shifting, with the rapid return to prior voltage output might be a sign of this activity.

My actual total knowkedge of what is happening would only occupy a couple of your brain cells....I'm just trying to be logical about what I am seeing.

I'd be happy to hear a professional power generation expert's "spin" on what is really happening.
GregBBRD is offline  
Old 12-10-2016, 10:00 AM
  #57  
[email protected]
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Park Ridge, IL (near Chicago)
Posts: 2,772
Default

Idle voltage looks good. What temp conditions apply. I find with a hot engine on a hot day, the voltage goes down.
Nice product. As usual from Greg.
Dave
j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net is online now  
Old 12-10-2016, 11:12 AM
  #58  
Ducman82
 
Ducman82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 6,948
Default

Greg, during the same drive with the GM alternator, when hot id see about 12.8 at the ECU/CE panel, and at hot idle a tad less than that. now nice an cold/fresh in the AM i could see around 13.8 at idle but it did drop pretty harshly due to heat soak.

This week i will take my IR gun with me and take some immediate temp readings and MM reading when stopped after stop and go, and freeway driving. I can tell you that after the drive home yesterday and getting home, and getting the kiddo in the house the case temp (id say about 10 min) was 93F. but I'm surest cools off fast.
Ducman82 is offline  
Old 12-10-2016, 12:51 PM
  #59  
the flyin' scotsman
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
the flyin' scotsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Alberta, Canada
Posts: 10,615
Default

Superb Greg........looks and performance.........I'll take one please.

PM sent.
the flyin' scotsman is offline  
Old 12-10-2016, 01:11 PM
  #60  
Alan
Electron Wrangler
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 11,925
Default

What Dr Bob says - there is no explanation for a voltage drop here... The one way clutch allows the alternator to spin faster than it would without the clutch - not slower.

It will always spin at least at the crank RPM * Crank:Alt pulley ratio and is allowed to spin faster than that on deceleration - so while 'freewheeling' it can generate better not worse.

There are other alternator pulleys available - the Litens OAD clutch pulley has not only a freewheel mode like this but also a soft drive decoupler to soften the impact of engine pulses on the belt and provide a smoother drive - avoiding common causes of belt slip and extend the belt life.

http://www.decouplerpulley.com/

Alan
Alan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ultimate High Output Bosch Alternator fits 1985-1995


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: