Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   New Panorama praise for 928 (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/841743-new-panorama-praise-for-928-a.html)

William A 11-03-2014 12:29 PM

I found PCA members in my region were welcoming from the get go, about 15 years ago. However, there is definitely a cooler appreciation of 928's at social, track, and rally outings.

I don't care where it is, but when at C&C Irvine and you get more folks drooling over a 912 than even ask a question about a 928, I just shake my head.

In my opinion the 928 remains the most underappreciated and invisible iconic car of all time.

When Panorama gives little press to the extraordinary story that is the 928, it is clear they just pander to an interest group (a huge one at that) instead of being a champion of all things Porsche.

davek9 11-03-2014 03:47 PM

Our local PCA "SEMPCA" has been very welcoming to the Detroit 928 group, and like already said here "it's about participating" with-in the club and the getting involved with the events and the people.

Thanks for pointing out the Letter section, I had only noticed on page 1 the "original" 928 oil filters being sold by Porsche classic genuine parts and that made me smile. :)

Dave K

Adk46 11-03-2014 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by davek9 (Post 11774895)
Thanks for pointing out the Letter section, I had only noticed on page 1 the "original" 928 oil filters being sold by Porsche classic genuine parts and that made me smile. :)

I noticed that also. The point of these ads doesn't seem to sell the parts they list, but to impress us with how obscure they can be. I was impressed!

Captain_Slow 11-03-2014 11:14 PM

I once took mine to a car show in Winchester, VA. It was the only Porsche of any kind entered. It caught the eye of a lot of attendees who assumed it was something exotic. Some questioned why I had antique plates (they didn't believe it's age, or didn't remember Porsche ever made it). Had a guy who seemed familiar with the 928s go around my car asking a lot of questions and showing great interest. After about 10 minutes he says "Well, it's still not a 911" and walked away. Just a non-Porsche owner who knows enough to know the 928 is the black sheep in the family. Don't care. There is something really great about the 928 and the owners that appreciate them. I think only Avanti owners have a similar experience.

dr bob 11-04-2014 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Captain_Slow (Post 11776140)

After about 10 minutes he says "Well, it's still not a 911"...

And never desired to be, thank goodness! It's a giant step up.

The 911's of the time (late '70's to mid-90's) were "cars for the masses", relatively. They had a loyal following obviously, but the bulk of 911 folks today were not 911 folks at those times. Even if they were, the 911 was a bargain sports car, priced well below the 928 and a different market targetted. I think the Turbo cars were gettting into the same lofty price (and performance) segment, and they are similarly rare as the 928. The later 911 cars have grown to be a lot more like the 928 than to the 911, in size, weight, and to a lesser extent in driving dynamics. I'm not trying to take anything from the late 911's, particularly the 997 and 991 which are truly excellent cars. But it's a dozen years since the last 928 iteration was layed out for production so they are not good comparisons.

sweet928 11-04-2014 02:29 AM

I've owned two 911's and four 928's. Case closed. I have no desire to own another 911. Glad to have tried them out but the 911's and even the NSX were short term toys. No V8, no fun. Nothing beats 8 cylinders except 10 or 12 or 16!

uraniummetallurgist 11-04-2014 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by sweet928 (Post 11776432)
I've owned two 911's and four 928's. Case closed. I have no desire to own another 911. Glad to have tried them out but the 911's and even the NSX were short term toys. No V8, no fun. Nothing beats 8 cylinders except 10 or 12 or 16!

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT! 8 is GREAT. IMHO TORQUE IS THE 928's GREATEST ATTRIBUTE. GOTTA WIND THOSE 911s WAY UP TO MAKE THEM GO!

Captain_Slow 11-04-2014 10:03 AM

The 928 torque advantage is noticed immediately, but I think it's the combination of power and torque that the 928 produces from low to high revs that sets it apart from even other V8s I've experienced. It's very usable power and torque overall. It's impressive how the acceleration from 0-30 feels similar to 50 to 80, etc.

But the advantages and advances in the 928 were no match for "groupthink" (i.e. it's not a Porsche if the engine isn't flat 6, air cooled, and in the back).

Adk46 11-04-2014 11:05 AM

My 928 roars. My Cayman screams. Very appropriately for each car. I'm not sure what is appropriate for a modern 911 - it's a bit of an odd duck, isn't it?

WyattsRide 11-04-2014 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by William A (Post 11774323)
When Panorama gives little press to the extraordinary story that is the 928, it is clear they just pander to an interest group (a huge one at that) instead of being a champion of all things Porsche.

This statement "hits the nail on the head"!

I love Panorama Magazine because I love all Porsches. But, it pisses me off that there is never any 928 content.

Another all Porsche magazine came out a couple years ago called Classic Porsche Magazine. This new magazine is out of the UK and is from the same publishers as 911 & Porsche World Magazine (I'm pretty sure). I thought when I bought some of the first issues at around $12 each, that finally a "Classic" Porsche magazine that will have 928 content. I think I bought 8 issues. NOT ONE MENTION OF THE 928 IN THEM. Plenty of 911, 912, 356 stories. Even some 944 and 914 content. How could that be? NO 928 content in 8 issues? Frustrated, I stopped buying them. Who knows if there were ever any mention after the ones I bought.....rant off...

As far as PCA events and other general car gatherings and car cruises locally. My car (and other local 928s) get a lot of attention and love. At one of the biggest weekly car cruises in the US there are times when I'm not even out of my parked car before someone is asking questions about it and drooling over it.

Crumpler 11-04-2014 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by WyattsRide (Post 11777218)

I love Panorama Magazine because I love all Porsches. But, it pisses me off that there is never any 928 content.

Another all Porsche magazine came out a couple years ago called Classic Porsche Magazine. This new magazine is out of the UK and is from the same publishers as 911 & Porsche World Magazine (I'm pretty sure). I thought when I bought some of the first issues at around $12 each, that finally a "Classic" Porsche magazine that will have 928 content. I think I bought 8 issues. NOT ONE MENTION OF THE 928 IN THEM. Plenty of 911, 912, 356 stories. Even some 944 and 914 content. How could that be? NO 928 content in 8 issues? Frustrated, I stopped buying them. Who knows if there were ever any mention after the ones I bought.....rant off...

As far as PCA events and other general car gatherings and car cruises locally. My car (and other local 928s) get a lot of attention and love. At one of the biggest weekly car cruises in the US there are times when I'm not even out of my parked car before someone is asking questions about it and drooling over it.

:to_order:
Rick, this borders on brow-beating!
You must stop your public ire before the editor finds you!
:biggulp:

linderpat 11-04-2014 01:24 PM

...As far as PCA events and other general car gatherings and car cruises locally. My car (and other local 928s) get a lot of attention and love. At one of the biggest weekly car cruises in the US there are times when I'm not even out of my parked car before someone is asking questions about it and drooling over it.

yes, we have it pretty good here. I am seeing more awareness of the model as well. More people getting interested, and asking about it. Now my Boxster, on the other hand, gets no love from anybody whatsoever:crying::icon501::icon107:

(I had to add this, because you see the same type of threads on the Boxster boards as well; they cry because they get no "respect" from the 911 crowd or magazines either; My view is always that is the people, not the car, that determines what you get back (unless of course you have a Ferrari, then you get respect no matter what:surr::evilgrin:))

The Fixer 11-04-2014 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Crumpler (Post 11777279)

Originally Posted by linderpat (Post 11777459)
yes, we have it pretty good here. I am seeing more awareness of the model as well. More people getting interested, and asking about it. Now my Boxster, on the other hand, gets no love from anybody whatsoever:crying::icon501::icon107:

(I had to add this, because you see the same type of threads on the Boxster boards as well; they cry because they get no "respect" from the 911 crowd or magazines either; My view is always that is the people, not the car, that determines what you get back (unless of course you have a Ferrari, then you get respect no matter what:surr::evilgrin:))

We should have Kick Started flussig magazine to get it to print.

Pablo is super cool and a great person.

Why not make it happen? He is doing a terrific job with very little (but talented help)

I really am impressed that you guys are finally speaking up about this. I couldn't see why all the kissing up by the others..

Dave, you are The Man.

I stopped reading these magazines too when i owned a tribute 911 IROC that i made. It just grew tiresome reading about another 911.

WyattsRide 11-04-2014 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Crumpler (Post 11777279)

Maybe more brow-beating is needed to get the message accross! :biggulp:

Originally Posted by linderpat (Post 11777459)
yes, we have it pretty good here. I am seeing more awareness of the model as well. More people getting interested, and asking about it. .......

It helps when the 928s that show up are as nice as ours. Right Ed? :p

Originally Posted by The Fixer (Post 11777539)
We should have Kick Started flussig magazine to get it to print.

Pablo is super cool and a great person.

Why not make it happen? He is doing a terrific job with very little (but talented help)

I really am impressed that you guys are finally speaking up about this. I couldn't see why all the kissing up by the others..

Dave, you are The Man.

I stopped reading these magazines too when i owned a tribute 911 IROC that i made. It just grew tiresome reading about another 911.

Matt,
Flussig and Pablo are awesome for sure. The articles that I've read were very interesting and fun. I'm no writer, so I couldn't add much. But, a Kick Start is something I would have backed, like Jim's wheels.

I don't think I ever "Kissed up" But, if I didn't get Panorama for being a PCA member, I wouldn't buy it. I'm a PCA member because I DO have a Porsche. Hey Panorama, (and the Editor) 911s and 356s aren't the ONLY Porsches! :rolleyes:

Hemmings Sport and Exotics is the only magazine that I buy now. They give the 928 some magazine space. :rtfm: (Read The F$%kin' Magazine!)

:thumbsup:

oldfrat 11-04-2014 06:53 PM

You folks who are complaining about Panorama may have missed this earlier thread, which included what I thought was a very fair and good response from Panorama.
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...-magazine.html

Brad