Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   New Panorama praise for 928 (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/841743-new-panorama-praise-for-928-a.html)

uraniummetallurgist 11-01-2014 09:35 AM

New Panorama praise for 928

There is a nice recognition of the 928's place in the history and development of Porsche in the LETTERS section of the October 2014 PANORAMA: More Ferdinand than Ferry by David Soares with a note from the editor to acknowledging the 928 as "...Porsche's first truly great GT."

But then we already know that............

Jerry Feather 11-01-2014 10:04 AM

I'm sure that kind of attestation does not set well with the bulk of PCA'rs. My wife and I went to the holiday celebration of the Rocky Mountain Region of the PCA a couple of years ago, ( I hadn't been there for actually several decades) and we were the only ones there having a 928. I had taken one of my fully formed and hand made 928 Spare Tire Covers to donate as a door prize. During that part of the celebration I was asked to come up and tell about what I had brought to give away. When I started by explaining how the 928 was the first real clean sheet of paper Porsche design for a sports car rather than just another workover of the VW Bug, I was boo'd off the podium. The odd thing is that since there was no other 928 folks there they did not give my Cover away, but they still kept it. I haven't yet been able to find out what might have become of it.

(The Booing was of course in good nature and was taken well by us, but it still told the story about how the 928 is looked upon by most of the 911 crowd, I think.)

Bertrand Daoust 11-01-2014 10:35 AM

I didn't read my Panorama yet but will soon.

There is not many - if not any - articles on our car there unfortunately.

Thanks for the info.

I did few events with our PCA club (Rennsport) in the past few years and always had nice comments on my car.
People appreciate the model more and more as time past.
I think things are changing...

Adk46 11-01-2014 11:39 AM

I posted the full text of that letter and the editor's response here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...rry-think.html

No good can come from uttering "vee dubba you" at a PCA meeting! At the last meeting I attended, the fellow across from me was clearly not enthusiastic about the Panamera, but liked that the 991 (with its longer wheelbase) had become a proper GT (he had one, 25,000 miles in one year). He appreciated that the 928 was a proper GT.

linderpat 11-01-2014 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry Feather (Post 11769591)
... When I started by explaining how the 928 was the first real clean sheet of paper Porsche design for a sports car rather than just another workover of the VW Bug, I was boo'd off the podium. )

Do you think there was any connection between the two? I mean what do you think the reaction would be when you went to the podium and dumped all over everyone's cars.

Jerry Feather 11-01-2014 12:27 PM

Ed, I thought it would be about what it was.

F4GIB 11-01-2014 09:59 PM

The 911 guys will let you in the door and some will speak to you, as a person, not as a Porsche owner. As I told one recently, I'd be happy to blow him away at BIR but my pristine 1995 is simply too valuable to risk since I can't just buy a new from one from a dealer tomorrow.

MGW-Fla 11-02-2014 12:15 AM

I have been very active in PCA for many years & most are very accepting of 928s, no matter what model Porsche they own. I can't remember the last time I heard anything derogatory. In fact, at almost every car event I have one of my 928s at the past 9 yrs, I've received positive attention and comments.

I imagine if a 911 aficionado stood in front of the 928 crowd at a SITM, Frenzy, or Sharktoberfest gathering & proceeded to diss on the 928, he'd likely get a bit worse than just some good natured booing. Like if someone sauntered over from one of the 911 forums here on RL to share such unkind thoughts?? Not exactly the best way to endear yourself or our already mostly misunderstood model to the opposing Porsche crowd.

17prospective buyer 11-02-2014 12:19 AM

Biggest niche car and one of the most underrated cars ever made! Glad i got one.

Keith Coe 11-02-2014 12:40 AM

I am also very active in my Lone Star Region of PCA. I own both a 911 and 928 and never feel any issues with other owners concerning my 928.

Tony 11-02-2014 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Keith Coe (Post 11771168)
I am also very active in my Lone Star Region of PCA. I own both a 911 and 928 and never feel any issues with other owners concerning my 928.

What wheels are those on the car in your avatar? look great.

Hilton 11-02-2014 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tony (Post 11771210)
What wheels are those on the car in your avatar? look great.

They're 18" panamera 5-spokes. Very nice, and about the best 928-offset of any modern factory 18" wheel (ET59 front from memory)

soltino 11-02-2014 04:15 PM

Got me wondering whether this 928 vs 911 is unique in the history of cars or if it is, how about any other situation that is public knowledge?

tino

dr bob 11-02-2014 05:47 PM

I'm pretty sure the issue isn't the cars so much as it is the owners. If a 911 owner showed up at a predominantly 928 event and started spewing about how their model is the "only true Porsche", they would likely get the reception that 928'ers do when they show up at a PCA gathering and suggest that the 928 is the only true clean-sheet design. Walk into a crowd with your fists cocked, and you get some instant pushback, either way.

It's about the people, and most are in PCA for the social side. A small minority of 928 owners regularly come to events. Don't be surprised when the friendships you haven't fostered yet aren't as solid as those among members who participate all the time.

oldfrat 11-02-2014 06:05 PM

The Corvette C3's (1968-82) don't get much respect from the Corvette community for anything other than body styling. The difference is that they generally earned this with performance and quality issues. I had a tee shirt back in the late 70's that read, "Sure they made Corvettes after 1967, but who the hell cares?"

C2's are beloved icons and their prices are sky rocketing. C4 and C5 got the make back on the performance track, while C7s are getting great reviews for both performance and a major interior upgrade.

Brad

William A 11-03-2014 12:29 PM

I found PCA members in my region were welcoming from the get go, about 15 years ago. However, there is definitely a cooler appreciation of 928's at social, track, and rally outings.

I don't care where it is, but when at C&C Irvine and you get more folks drooling over a 912 than even ask a question about a 928, I just shake my head.

In my opinion the 928 remains the most underappreciated and invisible iconic car of all time.

When Panorama gives little press to the extraordinary story that is the 928, it is clear they just pander to an interest group (a huge one at that) instead of being a champion of all things Porsche.

davek9 11-03-2014 03:47 PM

Our local PCA "SEMPCA" has been very welcoming to the Detroit 928 group, and like already said here "it's about participating" with-in the club and the getting involved with the events and the people.

Thanks for pointing out the Letter section, I had only noticed on page 1 the "original" 928 oil filters being sold by Porsche classic genuine parts and that made me smile. :)

Dave K

Adk46 11-03-2014 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by davek9 (Post 11774895)
Thanks for pointing out the Letter section, I had only noticed on page 1 the "original" 928 oil filters being sold by Porsche classic genuine parts and that made me smile. :)

I noticed that also. The point of these ads doesn't seem to sell the parts they list, but to impress us with how obscure they can be. I was impressed!

Captain_Slow 11-03-2014 11:14 PM

I once took mine to a car show in Winchester, VA. It was the only Porsche of any kind entered. It caught the eye of a lot of attendees who assumed it was something exotic. Some questioned why I had antique plates (they didn't believe it's age, or didn't remember Porsche ever made it). Had a guy who seemed familiar with the 928s go around my car asking a lot of questions and showing great interest. After about 10 minutes he says "Well, it's still not a 911" and walked away. Just a non-Porsche owner who knows enough to know the 928 is the black sheep in the family. Don't care. There is something really great about the 928 and the owners that appreciate them. I think only Avanti owners have a similar experience.

dr bob 11-04-2014 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Captain_Slow (Post 11776140)

After about 10 minutes he says "Well, it's still not a 911"...

And never desired to be, thank goodness! It's a giant step up.

The 911's of the time (late '70's to mid-90's) were "cars for the masses", relatively. They had a loyal following obviously, but the bulk of 911 folks today were not 911 folks at those times. Even if they were, the 911 was a bargain sports car, priced well below the 928 and a different market targetted. I think the Turbo cars were gettting into the same lofty price (and performance) segment, and they are similarly rare as the 928. The later 911 cars have grown to be a lot more like the 928 than to the 911, in size, weight, and to a lesser extent in driving dynamics. I'm not trying to take anything from the late 911's, particularly the 997 and 991 which are truly excellent cars. But it's a dozen years since the last 928 iteration was layed out for production so they are not good comparisons.

sweet928 11-04-2014 02:29 AM

I've owned two 911's and four 928's. Case closed. I have no desire to own another 911. Glad to have tried them out but the 911's and even the NSX were short term toys. No V8, no fun. Nothing beats 8 cylinders except 10 or 12 or 16!

uraniummetallurgist 11-04-2014 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by sweet928 (Post 11776432)
I've owned two 911's and four 928's. Case closed. I have no desire to own another 911. Glad to have tried them out but the 911's and even the NSX were short term toys. No V8, no fun. Nothing beats 8 cylinders except 10 or 12 or 16!

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT! 8 is GREAT. IMHO TORQUE IS THE 928's GREATEST ATTRIBUTE. GOTTA WIND THOSE 911s WAY UP TO MAKE THEM GO!

Captain_Slow 11-04-2014 10:03 AM

The 928 torque advantage is noticed immediately, but I think it's the combination of power and torque that the 928 produces from low to high revs that sets it apart from even other V8s I've experienced. It's very usable power and torque overall. It's impressive how the acceleration from 0-30 feels similar to 50 to 80, etc.

But the advantages and advances in the 928 were no match for "groupthink" (i.e. it's not a Porsche if the engine isn't flat 6, air cooled, and in the back).

Adk46 11-04-2014 11:05 AM

My 928 roars. My Cayman screams. Very appropriately for each car. I'm not sure what is appropriate for a modern 911 - it's a bit of an odd duck, isn't it?

WyattsRide 11-04-2014 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by William A (Post 11774323)
When Panorama gives little press to the extraordinary story that is the 928, it is clear they just pander to an interest group (a huge one at that) instead of being a champion of all things Porsche.

This statement "hits the nail on the head"!

I love Panorama Magazine because I love all Porsches. But, it pisses me off that there is never any 928 content.

Another all Porsche magazine came out a couple years ago called Classic Porsche Magazine. This new magazine is out of the UK and is from the same publishers as 911 & Porsche World Magazine (I'm pretty sure). I thought when I bought some of the first issues at around $12 each, that finally a "Classic" Porsche magazine that will have 928 content. I think I bought 8 issues. NOT ONE MENTION OF THE 928 IN THEM. Plenty of 911, 912, 356 stories. Even some 944 and 914 content. How could that be? NO 928 content in 8 issues? Frustrated, I stopped buying them. Who knows if there were ever any mention after the ones I bought.....rant off...

As far as PCA events and other general car gatherings and car cruises locally. My car (and other local 928s) get a lot of attention and love. At one of the biggest weekly car cruises in the US there are times when I'm not even out of my parked car before someone is asking questions about it and drooling over it.

Crumpler 11-04-2014 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by WyattsRide (Post 11777218)

I love Panorama Magazine because I love all Porsches. But, it pisses me off that there is never any 928 content.

Another all Porsche magazine came out a couple years ago called Classic Porsche Magazine. This new magazine is out of the UK and is from the same publishers as 911 & Porsche World Magazine (I'm pretty sure). I thought when I bought some of the first issues at around $12 each, that finally a "Classic" Porsche magazine that will have 928 content. I think I bought 8 issues. NOT ONE MENTION OF THE 928 IN THEM. Plenty of 911, 912, 356 stories. Even some 944 and 914 content. How could that be? NO 928 content in 8 issues? Frustrated, I stopped buying them. Who knows if there were ever any mention after the ones I bought.....rant off...

As far as PCA events and other general car gatherings and car cruises locally. My car (and other local 928s) get a lot of attention and love. At one of the biggest weekly car cruises in the US there are times when I'm not even out of my parked car before someone is asking questions about it and drooling over it.

:to_order:
Rick, this borders on brow-beating!
You must stop your public ire before the editor finds you!
:biggulp:

linderpat 11-04-2014 01:24 PM

...As far as PCA events and other general car gatherings and car cruises locally. My car (and other local 928s) get a lot of attention and love. At one of the biggest weekly car cruises in the US there are times when I'm not even out of my parked car before someone is asking questions about it and drooling over it.

yes, we have it pretty good here. I am seeing more awareness of the model as well. More people getting interested, and asking about it. Now my Boxster, on the other hand, gets no love from anybody whatsoever:crying::icon501::icon107:

(I had to add this, because you see the same type of threads on the Boxster boards as well; they cry because they get no "respect" from the 911 crowd or magazines either; My view is always that is the people, not the car, that determines what you get back (unless of course you have a Ferrari, then you get respect no matter what:surr::evilgrin:))

The Fixer 11-04-2014 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Crumpler (Post 11777279)

Originally Posted by linderpat (Post 11777459)
yes, we have it pretty good here. I am seeing more awareness of the model as well. More people getting interested, and asking about it. Now my Boxster, on the other hand, gets no love from anybody whatsoever:crying::icon501::icon107:

(I had to add this, because you see the same type of threads on the Boxster boards as well; they cry because they get no "respect" from the 911 crowd or magazines either; My view is always that is the people, not the car, that determines what you get back (unless of course you have a Ferrari, then you get respect no matter what:surr::evilgrin:))

We should have Kick Started flussig magazine to get it to print.

Pablo is super cool and a great person.

Why not make it happen? He is doing a terrific job with very little (but talented help)

I really am impressed that you guys are finally speaking up about this. I couldn't see why all the kissing up by the others..

Dave, you are The Man.

I stopped reading these magazines too when i owned a tribute 911 IROC that i made. It just grew tiresome reading about another 911.

WyattsRide 11-04-2014 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Crumpler (Post 11777279)

Maybe more brow-beating is needed to get the message accross! :biggulp:

Originally Posted by linderpat (Post 11777459)
yes, we have it pretty good here. I am seeing more awareness of the model as well. More people getting interested, and asking about it. .......

It helps when the 928s that show up are as nice as ours. Right Ed? :p

Originally Posted by The Fixer (Post 11777539)
We should have Kick Started flussig magazine to get it to print.

Pablo is super cool and a great person.

Why not make it happen? He is doing a terrific job with very little (but talented help)

I really am impressed that you guys are finally speaking up about this. I couldn't see why all the kissing up by the others..

Dave, you are The Man.

I stopped reading these magazines too when i owned a tribute 911 IROC that i made. It just grew tiresome reading about another 911.

Matt,
Flussig and Pablo are awesome for sure. The articles that I've read were very interesting and fun. I'm no writer, so I couldn't add much. But, a Kick Start is something I would have backed, like Jim's wheels.

I don't think I ever "Kissed up" But, if I didn't get Panorama for being a PCA member, I wouldn't buy it. I'm a PCA member because I DO have a Porsche. Hey Panorama, (and the Editor) 911s and 356s aren't the ONLY Porsches! :rolleyes:

Hemmings Sport and Exotics is the only magazine that I buy now. They give the 928 some magazine space. :rtfm: (Read The F$%kin' Magazine!)

:thumbsup:

oldfrat 11-04-2014 06:53 PM

You folks who are complaining about Panorama may have missed this earlier thread, which included what I thought was a very fair and good response from Panorama.
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...-magazine.html

Brad

The Fixer 11-04-2014 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by WyattsRide (Post 11778326)
Maybe more brow-beating is needed to get the message accross! :biggulp:

It helps when the 928s that show up are as nice as ours. Right Ed? :p

Matt,
Flussig and Pablo are awesome for sure. The articles that I've read were very interesting and fun. I'm no writer, so I couldn't add much. But, a Kick Start is something I would have backed, like Jim's wheels.

I don't think I ever "Kissed up" But, if I didn't get Panorama for being a PCA member, I wouldn't buy it. I'm a PCA member because I DO have a Porsche. Hey Panorama, (and the Editor) 911s and 356s aren't the ONLY Porsches! :rolleyes:

Hemmings Sport and Exotics is the only magazine that I buy now. They give the 928 some magazine space. :rtfm: (Read The F$%kin' Magazine!)

:thumbsup:

Yep i buy Hemming's S &E too. But a Kick Start wouldn't be only our responsibility it would come from 924, 44, 51, 68, (and Boxster) as Pablo
would include all the Porsche Step Children.

So a Kickstart would be very cheap collectively between all the forum members.

Originally Posted by oldfrat (Post 11778439)
You folks who are complaining about Panorama may have missed this earlier thread, which included what I thought was a very fair and good response from Panorama.

Brad

We always get these but somehow nothing materializes.

Talk is cheap.

MGW-Fla 11-04-2014 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Having an odd one out receive a bit of static from the mainstays can go both ways. I remember at SITM in '08 someone brought this Boxster as a spoof 928 WannaBe to the Saturday Gathering at the Meadow. Someone can clarify, but I seem to recall it was owned by a fellow shark owner who brought this instead(perhaps because it was for sale maybe?). Well I heard more than one person grumble about it being there in the field of the 928s. So needless to say, it was not well received. I believe it was made to be moved to the fringe of the field.

The Fixer 11-04-2014 10:18 PM

I just got word from flussig Editor in Chief:

Heeeeeey Matt!!! Thanks for the props hombre, I really really appreciate your kind words. The money is the easy part…the hard part is finding the time to lay the whole thing out, but I’m willing to dive right in and just ****ing do it already. I’m all too excited to hold this labor of love in my hand.

I wanna chat with ya Friday, catch up, ya know?

^^Is this guy awesome or what?

I emailed him that he needs to go to print with flussig.

Important Note regarding talk being cheap:
I'm sure if/when Pablo does decide h's ready,
the established Porsche magazines all of a sudden will decide to throw us Porsche "stepchildren" owners a couple pity articles...

Well Pablo really loves these cars and we should support it.

I would think that divided by all of the forums $100 per person would do it. and get an annual subscription to the magazine.

I know Pablo, he is a very hard working rock solid guy. He can be trusted to make this happen.

I say let's stop moaning and make OUR magazine happen.

Crumpler 11-04-2014 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by oldfrat (Post 11778439)

Brad

Yes, I was there.
I heard that.
I can paraphrase the rest of the thread as well...

I do not have an axe to grind with the magazine, I will continue to get it because it comes with my PCA membership (unless they pull my card:biggulp:). My only dog in this fight is that Matt is a friend of mine, who completed a very cool project -- that I find much more interesting then the next "Driving a 356 In Modern Times" story that will get featured in Panorama.

Let's just say it's easier for me to believe that there are (in fact) no 928 stories in recent history in this magazine because Mr. Stout has chosen not to run them -- then it is for me to believe that he wants to run them, but can't, because one of us zany characters hasn't stepped forward to provide copy for him.

So my gripe here is not that Pete prints what he thinks the majority of Porsche owners want to read, it's the old concept of someone pissing on my head and telling me it's raining.

If we see 928 features in Panorama, it will be because 99.9% of the myopic general public can no longer afford to get into the air-cooled Porsche market. Their interest would be the driving force, not me "browbeating" a defensive editor.:to_order:

Ninjaxz750 11-04-2014 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Fixer (Post 11779030)
I just got word from flussig Editor in Chief:

Heeeeeey Matt!!! Thanks for the props hombre, I really really appreciate your kind words. The money is the easy part…the hard part is finding the time to lay the whole thing out, but I’m willing to dive right in and just ****ing do it already. I’m all too excited to hold this labor of love in my hand.

I wanna chat with ya Friday, catch up, ya know?

^^Is this guy awesome or what?

I emailed him that he needs to go to print with flussig.

Important Note regarding talk being cheap:
I'm sure if/when Pablo does decide h's ready,
the established Porsche magazines all of a sudden will decide to throw us Porsche "stepchildren" owners a couple pity articles...

Well Pablo really loves these cars and we should support it.

I would think that divided by all of the forums $100 per person would do it. and get an annual subscription to the magazine.

I know Pablo, he is a very hard working rock solid guy. He can be trusted to make this happen.

I say let's stop moaning and make OUR magazine happen.

Wait: are you suggesting/ saying that you/he/ we should create a 928 magazine? Oh man, thus begins the name of the magazine thread........
:corn:

I'll start with a softball of "The Nine Two Eight"

jcorenman 11-04-2014 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Fixer (Post 11778799)
...Talk is cheap.

Secret of life: Show up.

This is has been discussed before, but I think we keep forgetting that Panorama is the house rag for the national PCA. Many of us participate locally, and I think generally feel welcome-- as long as we don't stand up and say something silly. And if we participate locally, we get some pictures and press in the local magazines or newsletters.

But Pano isn't a local magazine. The national events are Parade and Escape (the un-Parade, usually on the other side of the country). Parade this year was in Monterey, 1200 cars and (I think) four 928's. Do the math: 0.3%.

Talk is cheap, but if we could somehow break into two-digit participation at the national level then I think folks might notice.

The Parade concours is also a very interesting reality check for folks who think their car is in terrific shape. There are cars there, and I include Mark's "grandprixweiss" 84, that will brings tears to your eyes with the care that was taken.

Matt, from what you've written you've done a great job building the car that Porsche didn't. And if you believe that, then bring it.
:cheers:

linderpat 11-05-2014 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ninjaxz750 (Post 11779187)
Wait: are you suggesting/ saying that you/he/ we should create a 928 magazine? Oh man, thus begins the name of the magazine thread........
:corn:

I'll start with a softball of "The Nine Two Eight"

No; that magazine already exists, as an e-zine, and it already has a name - Flussing. Matt is talking about moving it to a print distributed ersion. It covers all front end water cooled cars.

The Fixer 11-05-2014 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by linderpat (Post 11779835)
No; that magazine already exists, as an e-zine, and it already has a name - Flussing. Matt is talking about moving it to a print distributed ersion. It covers all front end water cooled cars.

Yes and i think the other under appreciated but great Porsches
like the "ugly" 996, the Boxster, 914 etc.

Re showing up,

I do and brought my Son Matt to Frenzy and the PCA event at Summit Point.

I'm not suggesting tearing up your PCA membership, (no ire LOL) just another magazine that would be fun to flip through. (a Festivus for the Rest of Us !)

Be a PCA member and receive the magazine if that makes you happy. But continuing to complain that there is no 928 content is also discussed at length and growing tiresome.

This has been the case ( i have the old mags as proof) and always will be the case..

They may try and please us here and there but it won't be consistent or meaningful to the 928 model.

If flussig went to print it would also help kickstart new 928 interest with it.

Being seen as a collected Porsche not a disregarded one right when we are starting to see more interest in the car.

Pablo along with his 993 911 and 968 actually owns a 928, he is restoring a black '78.

He really loves these cars.

I hope he wants to do it, would be fun.

SeanR 11-05-2014 10:33 AM

I guess one question would have to be asked though, how many 928 owners are members of PCA? If the number is as small as I'd guess, why would Panorama print articles that are not of interest to it's readers?

MGW-Fla 11-05-2014 11:21 AM

I think some of the articles in Pano are written by the car owners, or someone who knows the car & owner; not just directly by Pano only. Or they're based on articles sent in by the owners. So how many 928 owners have ever submitted an article about a 928 for Pano's consideration? I know some have. I'd imagine Pano gets many requests every month. So those really wanting articles on 928s in Pano should continue to submit some candidates for them to consider.

Also you'd have to think that PCA/Pano gets some pressure from Porsche to stay more focused on the current models or their predecessors to help sell new Porsches. So that might limit the number of articles they are willing to print about older models that have not been in production for 19 years and have no current derivative being sold. They also have articles on Porches in most forms of racing too.

Since they've changed the format to a full size magazine, I think Pano is better than ever before. Not only the full size of the magazine, but much more variety & quality of the articles, photos, etc. To me, Pano is worth the meager cost of PCA membership alone.

WyattsRide 11-05-2014 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by SeanR (Post 11780076)
I guess one question would have to be asked though, how many 928 owners are members of PCA? If the number is as small as I'd guess, why would Panorama print articles that are not of interest to it's readers?

Or what you really mean - "that are not of interest to the MAJORITY of it's readers.

That's a good question about the amount of 928 owners that are PCA members. I have a E-mail into the PCA to see if that statistic is available. I'm guessing it wont be. It sure would be interesting to know though.

Manny Alban 11-05-2014 12:33 PM

I can assure you that Porsche exerts no influence on what appears in Panorama. It's a printed magazine. It's comes out once a month. For the most part, the articles and photographs are by professionals. It makes a difference. You can have a great story, but if it's not written well, you quickly lose the reader. Parade coverage is tough. I've never been thrilled with the articles. I like the photos, but being able to cover a week long convention with over 20 events to attend in one article is a tough assignment.

So the alternative is the online world. It's no secret how many people get their local and national news online instead of the traditional newspaper. This is one of the reasons we brought on someone to handle the club's online media presence. If you think you have an interesting car for an article, drop the editor a line. There is no guarantee that it will turn into a Pano article but it may be the perfect fit for EBrake, PCA Facebook, etc.

What I'll never understand is the whole 'we're unloved' mantra. I've owned a slew of 'unloved' Porsches (914, 924, 928) and never felt slighted by anyone in PCA. Maybe that's why I got involved. I never felt inferior simply because of the type of Porsche I owned. I get much more comments on my 914 than my 911.

I'm not in the publishing business, but being involved with the transition of the old Pano into the new, I can tell you this much. Publishing a printed magazine is not easy, not cheap and people have little patience for mediocrity.

Of course, these are just some thoughts from an outgoing President who has 56 days before he turns into a pumpkin...

MGW-Fla 11-05-2014 01:23 PM

Please don't let Pano become online only. Not after such an involved transition to the 1st class printed car magazine that it is now. It is the voice of PCA to me. And from being active for many years & on the BOD of my local PCA chapter, I can only imagine what your time and effort has been. Many thanks!

Manny Alban 11-05-2014 01:38 PM

We have NEVER discussed making Pano online only. PCA's online presence compliments Panorama. I have an iPad. I travel alot. I still prefer having a magazine in my hands than reading it online. Maybe I'm old. I'm 48. My kids tell me I'm old.

uraniummetallurgist 11-05-2014 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Manny Alban (Post 11780415)
I can assure you that Porsche exerts no influence on what appears in Panorama. It's a printed magazine. It's comes out once a month. For the most part, the articles and photographs are by professionals. It makes a difference. You can have a great story, but if it's not written well, you quickly lose the reader. Parade coverage is tough. I've never been thrilled with the articles. I like the photos, but being able to cover a week long convention with over 20 events to attend in one article is a tough assignment.

So the alternative is the online world. It's no secret how many people get their local and national news online instead of the traditional newspaper. This is one of the reasons we brought on someone to handle the club's online media presence. If you think you have an interesting car for an article, drop the editor a line. There is no guarantee that it will turn into a Pano article but it may be the perfect fit for EBrake, PCA Facebook, etc.

What I'll never understand is the whole 'we're unloved' mantra. I've owned a slew of 'unloved' Porsches (914, 924, 928) and never felt slighted by anyone in PCA. Maybe that's why I got involved. I never felt inferior simply because of the type of Porsche I owned. I get much more comments on my 914 than my 911.

I'm not in the publishing business, but being involved with the transition of the old Pano into the new, I can tell you this much. Publishing a printed magazine is not easy, not cheap and people have little patience for mediocrity.

Of course, these are just some thoughts from an outgoing President who has 56 days before he turns into a pumpkin...

Manny:
You have done a great job and thanks for the invitation to contact the editor for a story.There are many interesting stories to be had amongst the 928 clan here on Rennlist and hopefully we can some on this site to present their cars for consideration.

I am a BIG fan of Panorama and particularly like the new larger format. It provides me with a monthly fix of all things Porsche. I'm sure the readership will enjoy learning more about our beloved 928s.

Please keep it in print format!!

All the best,

Joe

MGW-Fla 11-05-2014 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Manny Alban (Post 11780590)
We have NEVER discussed making Pano online only. PCA's online presence compliments Panorama. I have an iPad. I travel alot. I still prefer having a magazine in my hands than reading it online. Maybe I'm old. I'm 48. My kids tell me I'm old.

Heck Manny, you're YOUNG by both PCA and 928 Owner standards!

WyattsRide 11-05-2014 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Manny Alban (Post 11780415)
.........What I'll never understand is the whole 'we're unloved' mantra. I've owned a slew of 'unloved' Porsches (914, 924, 928) and never felt slighted by anyone in PCA. Maybe that's why I got involved. I never felt inferior simply because of the type of Porsche I owned. I get much more comments on my 914 than my 911.......

Manny, I don't think there are many 928 owners that feel slighted by anyone in the PCA. At least not as much anymore. I for one have never felt that way by anyone in my local chapter (ARPCA). I've felt welcomed from day one and my car (and other 928 owners locally) gets lots of attention from the members. But, I do feel that the 928 gets slighted or "unloved" by Panorama. A Porsche only magazine. I DON'T understand that. I'll reiterated again that I do like Panorama magazine because I love all Porsches. New and old. Why can't for every 20 articles on classic 911's, 912's or 356's can't there be at least ONE article on the 928? or a picture on the front cover.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s1b0f2800.jpeg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s14e0f5ac.jpeg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...S/1978June.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...DS/1981Aug.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...se79aa863.jpeg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...86November.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s1832e916.jpeg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...S/1991Sept.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s107b8591.jpeg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s28d442d3.jpeg

In a group shot from 2003

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s5639c650.jpeg

I'm pretty sure I have them all. So from 1994 there hasn't been any on the cover (except group shot of 2003). That's 20 years. Or by my calculations 240+ issues and counting.

"Buying a used 928" article in July 1997.

Ninjaxz750 11-05-2014 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by WyattsRide (Post 11780226)
That's a good question about the amount of 928 owners that are PCA members. I have a E-mail into the PCA to see if that statistic is available. I'm guessing it wont be. It sure would be interesting to know though.

Well they should have that available, I know I had to enter all that info in order to become a member, so there's at least one 928 registered w them!!!!

:typing:

The Fixer 11-05-2014 07:25 PM

[QUOTE=Manny Alban;11780415]

I never felt inferior simply because of the type of Porsche I owned. I get much more comments on my 914 than my 911.

If with my Wife Astrid I could park with the Carrera GT and museum car owners and not feel inferior..it's good to have a hot Wife you get tons of respect.:cheers:

Crumpler, thanks for the nice words but appearing in Panorama isn't something that i care too much about.
(What i care about are both sitting next to me watching cartoons)

Besides my project is probably too much for the old folks that read Pano to handle. LOL

Anyway (spoiler alert) I have talked with Pablo this am and Pete Stout has very recently reached out to him to contribute to Panorama in the future.

Guess he's watching and listening after all.

My Carrera in the photo..

voskian 11-06-2014 04:57 PM

Matt, I didn't notice a Carrera in the picture???:thumbup::

The Fixer 11-06-2014 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by voskian (Post 11783851)
Matt, I didn't notice a Carrera in the picture???:thumbup::

Hey Buddy,

She'd be flattered by the joke (and mad at me at the same time for posting a pic)

I don't know about you guys but i'm sick of discussing Panorama.

I find reading about different makes more interesting these days anyway.

I would say It must be hard to write about Porsches over and over. I don't envy those that have to.

My favorites are Hemmings Sport and Exotic and Classic and Sports Car.

linderpat 11-06-2014 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Fixer (Post 11784059)
My favorites are Hemmings Sport and Exotic and ....

and dayum, did you see that impressive spread in Hemmings on the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix?

stout 11-06-2014 07:27 PM

As Manny said, there's no pressure from PCNA or PAG to not cover the 928, nor is there a lack of willingness on this editor's part to run 928 content in Panorama. Why we would run as many 924 and 944 stories as we have but then actively choose to slight the 928 is...well, um...it just doesn't make sense.

As I alluded to in the other thread: It's been my experience over the last 18 years that good 928 content is harder to come by than just about any other Porsche content. I assigned 928 stories to freelancers while I was at Excellence, and most of them came to fruition—though many of them took far longer than they should have. I'll put the number of feature pages on 928s in Excellence between 1997 and 2012 up against any car magazine on the planet.

As to Pano, I actually green-lighted Pablo for a cool 928 story idea he had more than a year ago. If you don't believe me, I can go back and find the email, as I recently did to check in with Pablo, and he's back on it—as he can confirm if he wants to—and I see no reason why it has to interfere with his own venture, which is very cool. I have another 928 story assigned months ago that I am only waiting for text on. An ex-C/D and R&T shooter did a full shoot for it several weeks ago. There's yet another one, but getting a shooter to the location on budget has proven to be a challenge. And then there's yet another 928 piece that has been assigned, but it's "way out there" in the hands of that freelance.

Anyway, the primary point is this: I do want to see 928 content in Pano, and fully agree that the lack of coverage is a problem. I am working to solve that alongside a number of other issues. What I don't get is the "we're unloved"/"let's tell the editor that there are other Porsches besides the 356 and 911" mantra when two of the three Porsches I've owned were/are neither, and the 911 was one of the two I decided not to keep. The one I did? The "unloved" 914. Funny thing is, while many 914 owners tell me PCA and Porsche people don't appreciate the 914, that has rarely been my experience. It's just a cool car, even if it isn't the one most people pick. The 928 is, too.

pete

The Fixer 11-06-2014 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by linderpat (Post 11784135)
and dayum, did you see that impressive spread in Hemmings on the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix?

Yes i did Ed, very nice.

I hope to attend the upcoming PVGP.

Ninjaxz750 11-06-2014 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by stout (Post 11784253)
As Manny said, there's no pressure from PCNA or PAG to not cover the 928, nor is there a lack of willingness on this editor's part to run 928 content in Panorama. Why we would run as many 924 and 944 stories as we have but then actively choose to slight the 928 is...well, um...it just doesn't make sense.

As I alluded to in the other thread: It's been my experience over the last 18 years that good 928 content is harder to come by than just about any other Porsche content. I assigned 928 stories to freelancers while I was at Excellence, and most of them came to fruition—though many of them took far longer than they should have. I'll put the number of feature pages on 928s in Excellence between 1997 and 2012 up against any car magazine on the planet.

As to Pano, I actually green-lighted Pablo for a cool 928 story idea he had more than a year ago. If you don't believe me, I can go back and find the email, as I recently did to check in with Pablo, and he's back on it—as he can confirm if he wants to—and I see no reason why it has to interfere with his own venture, which is very cool. I have another 928 story assigned months ago that I am only waiting for text on. An ex-C/D and R&T shooter did a full shoot for it several weeks ago. There's yet another one, but getting a shooter to the location on budget has proven to be a challenge. And then there's yet another 928 piece that has been assigned, but it's "way out there" in the hands of that freelance.

Anyway, the primary point is this: I do want to see 928 content in Pano, and fully agree that the lack of coverage is a problem. I am working to solve that alongside a number of other issues. What I don't get is the "we're unloved"/"let's tell the editor that there are other Porsches besides the 356 and 911" mantra when two of the three Porsches I've owned were/are neither, and the 911 was one of the two I decided not to keep. The one I did? The "unloved" 914. Funny thing is, while many 914 owners tell me PCA and Porsche people don't appreciate the 914, that has rarely been my experience. It's just a cool car, even if it isn't the one most people pick. The 928 is, too.

pete

Pete: Easy man. Our collective frustration is not a reflection of any one person (IE You) or the magazine in general. Person opinion, it's simply that as a group of hard core 928-ers, we're disappointed in not seeing more articles on the grand ol' girl (Easy everybody, I simply consider all cars female. Just how I roll :p ). Look back at when someone commented on a darn Oil Filter for the 928 being advertised from Porsche on the inside cover of Pano. Anything 928 related would give people here a collective woody (and did). I read Pano and appreciate your hard work and the well crafted articles.

Would I like to see more 928's within the mag? Sure. But don't take it as a reflection of you being criticized for how you put Pano together each month. My head would explode if I even though about doing something like what you do.

It's cool. We are cool. You are cool (Driving around w Seinfeld? Seriously? That's frigging awesome :bowdown:)

stout 11-06-2014 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ninjaxz750 (Post 11784526)
Pete: Easy man. Our collective frustration is not a reflection of any one person (IE You) or the magazine in general. Person opinion, it's simply that as a group of hard core 928-ers, we're disappointed in not seeing more articles on the grand ol' girl (Easy everybody, I simply consider all cars female. Just how I roll :p ). Look back at when someone commented on a darn Oil Filter for the 928 being advertised from Porsche on the inside cover of Pano. Anything 928 related would give people here a collective woody (and did). I read Pano and appreciate your hard work and the well crafted articles.

Would I like to see more 928's within the mag? Sure. But don't take it as a reflection of you being criticized for how you put Pano together each month. My head would explode if I even though about doing something like what you do.

It's cool. We are cool. You are cool (Driving around w Seinfeld? Seriously? That's frigging awesome :bowdown:)

Thanks, and don't worry, I'm calm and collected. :cool:

As a magazine editor or writer, you have to be when it comes to the forums. I might just be dumber than most editors for engaging in them—but I like forums and use them myself.

Crumpler 11-08-2014 07:30 PM

I gotta say, just saw the new Panorama cover...completely awesome, exceptional.
Pete Stout, that is bad asssss, if I may say so. Dark and Iconic. Just my cup of tea.
You have taken your share of grief over here, so I wanted you to get you some well deserved kudos as well.

Attachment 884934

Now the llama farmer, club racer, high mileage Carrera feature...we may have the talk. ;)

The Fixer 11-08-2014 08:12 PM

I like this new cover better.

Just a beautiful picture of a great day and drive.

I like that new prototype though.

The Fixer 11-09-2014 02:06 PM

posted by Jon (Captain Slow) in another similar thread:

It is possible that staff and readers of Excellence don't care about the 928, and some may dislike it. I've never read Excellence - and the rising interest in the 928 is among people who don't read Excellence, either. Fact is all Porsches have been water cooled for a long while now. Now there are high volume Porsches that have front mounted V8s (and an SUV has been their top seller). Who cares about Excellence or any magazine that tends to perpetuate an anachronism. Today the 928 appears to be a rolling "I told you so" statement in terms of forward thinking design. There are many people in their 40s-50s who have less rigidly traditional views about what makes a Porsche a Porsche. They have not been brainwashed by the "groupthink" that says the 911 is the only real Porsche. I teach high school. I find the younger generation loves the 928. Eighteen to 30 year olds today do NOT think a REAL Porsche is exclusively a 911. Many of my students want a Panamera, which I don't understand....it's not even marketed to young people. They drool over the 918 (me too!). A combination of folks like me who admired the 928 as a kid, and younger folks who see it as the predecessor of the Cayenne or Panamera think 928s are very cool. I think the experts surveyed by Classic and Sports Car realize the Porsche demographic that will dictate the future value of cars is broadening, and they consider Porsche's to be more than racers or track cars.

Take a look at Hargerty's 928 valuations as of October 2014. Up again.
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch

I'm happy if values offset maintenance costs over 10-20 years of ownership (doing most work myself).

+1 Jon, well said.

Regarding those PCA members with cars rarely featured..

In my business if I make promises and don't deliver, don't return a call or get documents promised to the bank,

It wouldn't take long for me to lose those Customers and business connection. I'd lose them immediately.

That's how i see it.

Bored again with this.

William A 11-10-2014 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by stout (Post 11784620)
Thanks, and don't worry, I'm calm and collected. :cool:

As a magazine editor or writer, you have to be when it comes to the forums. I might just be dumber than most editors for engaging in them—but I like forums and use them myself.

Pete, I appreciate your posts and comments in this thread. While we may not agree about the (past?) perception of Pano, going forward it will have your fingerprints on it and I hope for more of the improvements I have already seen.

Engaging with the passionate and opinionated 928 community here in this forum is greatly appreciated. I am sure you already have seen the tone change since you posted, kudos to you.

The story that I see that may be of great interest to all Porsche owners is this: The 928 was to replace the 911. That decision and ultimate rejection by Porsche buyers, doomed the 928 to be viewed as a failure rather than the road going triumph. Design, engineering, comfort, sportiness, quality, materials, safety, and performance: is there a peer produced by ANY marque during that time?

The misunderstood 928 is a fascinating story. And I believe Pano should be a champion of 928's as the flagship for 17 years, and all front engine, water cooled achievements 924, 944, 968 in addition to the iconic rear engine cars that made the brand.

Ninjaxz750 11-10-2014 06:58 PM

Here here!!!!
:cheers:
or is it hear hear????