Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 928 Forum
Reload this Page >

928 brakes dragging and heating up one wheel, causing vibration !

Notices
928 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: 928 Specialists

928 brakes dragging and heating up one wheel, causing vibration !

 
Old 05-21-2014, 10:22 PM
  #16  
jej3
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jej3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jacksonville and sometimes St. Aug Beach, FL
Posts: 1,283
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hey. I'd still like to see the picture of the window in the fender.

I'm no stellar 928 mechanic and I come here often with stupid/dumb questions. I help in the ways I am knowledgeable and I soak up everything else here like a sponge but I've been here 10 years.

Regardless, I've never been inclined to cut a hole in the car to fix/remove/tighten something so I'd really like to see the basis for why an expert would make that decision.
jej3 is offline  
Old 05-21-2014, 10:44 PM
  #17  
SeanR
Running up the Odo'
Rennlist Member
 
SeanR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 34,562
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

I'm curious about this also. Did you really say you cut the fender to replace the BRAKE master?
SeanR is offline  
Old 05-21-2014, 11:52 PM
  #18  
Mrmerlin
Petie3rd
Rennlist Member

This Post Sponsored by:
Dow Corning« & DeoxIT«
 
Mrmerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Philly PA
Posts: 22,679
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

P , Welcome, Be nice to Santa Claus or you might get coal in your stocking.

Since your paying someone else to fix your machine,
I would strongly suggest to read the FAQ at the top of the page,
yes its quite long.

However there is a whole lot of hard won information that will reward the reader with countless ways to repair,
and solutions to issues, that could take many hours of searching to find.

Once your equipped with this info you will in most cases know more than your mechanic,
at that point it then becomes a question of,
do I pick up my pen and check book,
or do I open my tool box and WSM.

Goodluck on fixing your machine ,
most people here want to see you have the best results from fixing the finest machine Porsche has made.
Keep Em Flyin!
Mrmerlin is offline  
Old 05-22-2014, 12:06 AM
  #19  
James Bailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
James Bailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 18,056
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Yup BRAKE MASTER..... hence my rude and utterly incredulous reply of WTF was the mechanic "thinking" and would really like to know the name of the shop so we can warn people NOT to go there. Those kinds of real world "experts" need to be publicly humiliated for taking advantage of gullible people. I mean it is a uni-body car there is no frame just origami folded sheet metal. So this piece is not structural lets just cut holes in it..... And for NO REASON AT ALL it is easier to do the brake master cylinder the RIGHT way than to cut holes which I have a hard time figuring out any possible benefit or time savings. Talk about being taken advantage off !! Makes a perceived $100 mark up on a relay seem like a bargain
James Bailey is offline  
Old 05-22-2014, 12:15 AM
  #20  
SeanR
Running up the Odo'
Rennlist Member
 
SeanR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 34,562
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by James Bailey View Post
Yup BRAKE MASTER..... hence my rude and utterly incredulous reply of WTF was the mechanic "thinking" and would really like to know the name of the shop so we can warn people NOT to go there. Those kinds of real world "experts" need to be publicly humiliated for taking advantage of gullible people. I mean it is a uni-body car there is no frame just origami folded sheet metal. So this piece is not structural lets just cut holes in it..... And for NO REASON AT ALL it is easier to do the brake master cylinder the RIGHT way than to cut holes which I have a hard time figuring out any possible benefit or time savings. Talk about being taken advantage off !! Makes a perceived $100 mark up on a relay seem like a bargain
Whollychit, what in the world was he thinking?

There is no reason at all to even suggest that, you can touch both bolts that hold it to the booster.

Carry on, I'll just sit back and watch this train wreck.
SeanR is offline  
Old 05-22-2014, 07:32 AM
  #21  
85euro928
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
85euro928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hampster Bays, LI
Posts: 1,164
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I gleaned through this thread twice and although I may have still missed it (it's early) I think the OP is mistaken; I bet the mechanic cut the hole in the fender to replace the blue hose, not the brake master.

(which we all know IS an approved method)
85euro928 is offline  
Old 05-22-2014, 12:56 PM
  #22  
mark kibort
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mark kibort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: saratoga, ca
Posts: 29,752
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 85euro928 View Post
I gleaned through this thread twice and although I may have still missed it (it's early) I think the OP is mistaken; I bet the mechanic cut the hole in the fender to replace the blue hose, not the brake master.

(which we all know IS an approved method)
yes, I approved that!
mark kibort is offline  
Old 05-22-2014, 02:27 PM
  #23  
Alan
Electron Wrangler
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 11,930
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ...P View Post
...If you own the car, know it's a two syllable word, and take good care of it with good intentions, you deserve due courtesy even if you ask a dumb question.....
P
I think you will find that dumb questions are accepted and good advice given regardless. On Rennlist that advice is likely to come quickly and from multiple knowledgeable sources that build advice on each others points.

There may be some gentle humor of course but usually not viscious...

We save that kind of ire for folks who suggest other folks follow their example of doing things that they should never have done. To me folks come here to: fix specific problems on their car, understand & learn stuff for the future, get ideas for enhancements and other general social stuff.

Technical missdirection may seem relatively benign - but it isn't - the knowledge base gets corrupted unless its corrected swiftly. That's what just happened - it may not seem good to you but its good for the forum archive and the general user base.

Just wait till you have to correct yourself & slap yourself on the side of the head!

You haven't been active here much - slow down and take a look around the archives - there is more 928 knowledge here than anywhere else in the world (and these days that includes Porsche).

Alan
Alan is offline  
Old 05-22-2014, 05:16 PM
  #24  
...P
User
Thread Starter
 
...P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jej3 View Post
Hey. I'd still like to see the picture of the window in the fender.

I'm no stellar 928 mechanic and I come here often with stupid/dumb questions. I help in the ways I am knowledgeable and I soak up everything else here like a sponge but I've been here 10 years.

Regardless, I've never been inclined to cut a hole in the car to fix/remove/tighten something so I'd really like to see the basis for why an expert would make that decision.
First of all there have been some good spirited comments made recently and I appreciate them, thanks guys.

I'm not a mechanic either, but I did stay at a holiday Inn Express and I did perform open heart surgery with a ballpoint pen (communicating in Italian all the while). The guy who did the work discussed it with me standing there in a shop that has been in business serving PCA enthusiasts for many years, standing on the shop floor with dirt on his hands, looking me in the eye after driving my car, seeing how old it was, looking at the adjacent components, and making a recommendation that saved me some money, got the work done when he said it would be done, and enabled his shop to pay the bills at the end of the month.

If I'm going to bore hone a certain type of block I'll use a torque plate for sure because that is THE BEST way to do the job. If I am going to bend some tin I really don't need someone telling me I need to use tweezers and wear a white jumpsuit. Of course this is levity, and yes I'll send you a photo and you can judge for yourself. The work has been in service now for quite some time, all is well, no need to alert the bull elder or the uhh ohhh squad just yet.

best,

P
...P is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 928 brakes dragging and heating up one wheel, causing vibration !


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: