Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   1995 928 GTS 5M sells for $103,500 (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/530782-1995-928-gts-5m-sells-for-103-500-a.html)

Tom in Austin 10-21-2009 11:55 AM

OK, I'll go check James Morrison's garage to see if it turns up there ... LOL

pcar928fan 10-21-2009 01:12 PM

I will need to sell a WHOLE LOT MORE DVD's and Calendars to make anything like that happen. Heck I would need to sell a lot more of both just to buy a beater off CL! LOL! Still not close to breaking even on the calendars yet. Finally broke even on the DVD's!

I was thinking you needed another GTS Tom...maybe one with a WING THIS TIME! LOL! Hey, you changed your Avatar! COOL! Yolanda is getting a lot of love in the poll too! I think she is running 2nd right now behind Jim Stadters car and Ariya!

Tony 10-21-2009 01:42 PM

WOW! thats great! 103.5K!!!!!
Good snippet there Eric, very true.
That Countach is :eek::bowdown:

Leno...Seinfeld perhaps? Kudos to the owner and i hope it stays "preserved"

Marine Blue 10-21-2009 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr (Post 7004936)
+1

That Lamborghini I posted is a prime example. The owner of that car has owned quite a few Lambo's over the years. Some people in the Lambo forum were on him about owning such a fine auto and never driving it. This is his response:

"Thought I'd update everyone one this car, I just purchased it and would like to say a few things in regard to it and me. First of all, there are very few people who actually owned a Countach and drove them in the 80's and early 90's...I purchased my first in 1988 from MotorCars International...Red and beautiful and "drove the hell out of it". Liked it so much, I bought 3 more over the next 5 years. I started out at 16 with a 440 six-pak Road Runner and have lived a pretty full life as far as cars go...several Pantera's, AMG Merc's, Lotus, M series BMW's to 850 CSI BMW's, Ferrari's...including a beautiful yellow 512 TR, Diablo's, including a 30 SE once owned by Joe Sackey, anyhow...the Countach always had the most soul...the most something that can't be put to words...but you had to live it in it's time. To drive the Hell out of it now is kind of stupid and I believe the Countach in general is at it's most dangerous time, a time when the wrong people buy one, because their relatively cheap and they always wanted one. Usually the wrong owner and usually driven hard. Duesenbergs were turned into Garbage Trucks after the Depression...people just don't care when it's yesterday's car. It takes a few generations to figure out historic significance. Anyway, what I'm saying is, I've been there and done that, and did it in the car's prime...this car does not now need to be driven the hell out of, it it a piece of history and is going to stay that way."

In a way, the part:

"I believe the Countach in general is at it's most dangerous time, a time when the wrong people buy one, because their relatively cheap and they always wanted one."

Very much applies to the 928.

I know many on this forum would not agree but that is such a true statment and it applies to many high end cars from yesteryear and now.

But driving them once in a while really does make you appreciate the car that much more and for those that weren't fortunate enough to own them in their prime its hard to just put them in storage for viewing pleasure only.

Bill51sdr 10-21-2009 02:15 PM

Might have been referring to the GTS?

turbobooost 10-21-2009 04:06 PM

JUST FOR THE RECORD,BOTH THE $92,500.00 94 GTS AND THE $103,500.00 95 GTS BOTH WENT TO THE BEST POSSIBLE CLIENTS DEDICATED TO PRESERVING THE MARQUE IN EACH OF THEIR COLLECTIONS..:thumbup: !!!!

928ntslow 10-21-2009 04:11 PM

This could be the first time I've seen a 928 sell for more than the original sticker price.

hacker-pschorr 10-21-2009 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by 928ntslow (Post 7005952)
This could be the first time I've seen a 928 sell for more than the original sticker price.

If Chuck sells Kermit that could be #2 :)

turbobooost 10-21-2009 04:38 PM

ACTUALLY IT HAS HAPPENED 2 TIMES NOW AND KERMITT WILL BE #3:cheers:

Marine Blue 10-21-2009 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by turbobooost (Post 7005937)
JUST FOR THE RECORD,BOTH THE $92,500.00 94 GTS AND THE $103,500.00 95 GTS BOTH WENT TO THE BEST POSSIBLE CLIENTS DEDICATED TO PRESERVING THE MARQUE IN EACH OF THEIR COLLECTIONS..:thumbup: !!!!

Spill the beans :evilgrin:

worf928 10-21-2009 05:14 PM

turboboost? CAPS LOCK KEY BROKEN? Or do you just YELL all the time? :icon501:

Chuck Z 10-21-2009 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by turbobooost (Post 7006044)
ACTUALLY IT HAS HAPPENED 2 TIMES NOW AND KERMITT WILL BE #3:cheers:

.....actually it has happened 3 times already and Kermit will be #4. My GTS sold to Roger for more than the original sticker also. :cheers:

Chuck Z 10-21-2009 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr (Post 7004936)
+1

Which is why a car like this (and GTS's in general) are not my "thing" and why I've unfortunately rubbed a few people the wrong way around here in these threads. I fully appreciate why certain cars sell for a premium, it's simply not my preference to own cars like this. At least not now.

That Lamborghini I posted is a prime example. The owner of that car has owned quite a few Lambo's over the years. Some people in the Lambo forum were on him about owning such a fine auto and never driving it. This is his response:

"Thought I'd update everyone one this car, I just purchased it and would like to say a few things in regard to it and me. First of all, there are very few people who actually owned a Countach and drove them in the 80's and early 90's...I purchased my first in 1988 from MotorCars International...Red and beautiful and "drove the hell out of it". Liked it so much, I bought 3 more over the next 5 years. I started out at 16 with a 440 six-pak Road Runner and have lived a pretty full life as far as cars go...several Pantera's, AMG Merc's, Lotus, M series BMW's to 850 CSI BMW's, Ferrari's...including a beautiful yellow 512 TR, Diablo's, including a 30 SE once owned by Joe Sackey, anyhow...the Countach always had the most soul...the most something that can't be put to words...but you had to live it in it's time. To drive the Hell out of it now is kind of stupid and I believe the Countach in general is at it's most dangerous time, a time when the wrong people buy one, because their relatively cheap and they always wanted one. Usually the wrong owner and usually driven hard. Duesenbergs were turned into Garbage Trucks after the Depression...people just don't care when it's yesterday's car. It takes a few generations to figure out historic significance. Anyway, what I'm saying is, I've been there and done that, and did it in the car's prime...this car does not now need to be driven the hell out of, it it a piece of history and is going to stay that way."

In a way, the part:

"I believe the Countach in general is at it's most dangerous time, a time when the wrong people buy one, because their relatively cheap and they always wanted one."

Very much applies to the 928.

Erik, I'm probably one of those you reference above but I have to say; this is the most logical explanation on another view of GTS (or rare cars from yesterday) I've ever read.

andy-gts 10-21-2009 07:35 PM

How many of those dollars(103K) were Bernake's INFLATION dollars ....ouch! EVerything is going up and fast
andy
:roflmao:

VehiGAZ 10-21-2009 08:59 PM

WOW.

Well, I understand the decision to spend money like that on a car like that: a collector with the means and a fancy for a particular model wants the best of the breed [in the eye of the cash-holder] with the lowest mileage.

In cases like this, the money is often much easier to come by than the opportunity.