Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   1995 928 GTS 5M sells for $103,500 (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/530782-1995-928-gts-5m-sells-for-103-500-a.html)

Chuck Z 10-20-2009 10:13 PM

1995 928 GTS 5M sells for $103,500

Thought most of the 928 enthusiasts here would appreciate this one and I do not wish to revive the thread about the 6k mile 1995 928 GTS in CT regarding the sale of subject GTS. I was told by Michael Willhoit the car sold this week for $103,500. I’m not posting this to start the usual heated discussion regarding value and I know there are lots of opinions on both sides of this subject so I am posting for mainly for informational purposes.

hacker-pschorr 10-20-2009 10:14 PM

Awesome number, especially in this economy!!

Thanks for posting.

JWise 10-20-2009 10:17 PM

Wow! I hope Bruce Anderson sees this. ;)

Thanks for the update.

DR 10-20-2009 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr (Post 7003868)
Awesome number, especially in this economy!! Thanks for posting.

X2

UncleMaz 10-20-2009 10:18 PM

What does 5M indicate?

Nevermind.

Jadz928 10-20-2009 10:19 PM

Sucker! ;)

I'm totally kidding! :) Makes my 200K EuroS2 worth much less than I paid for it. But a two dollars more.

Chuck Z 10-20-2009 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by 153BigBlock (Post 7003879)
What does 5M indicate?

Nevermind.

5M = 5-speed

Marine Blue 10-20-2009 10:25 PM

Nice!

Amazing what good advertising and proper contacts can do when selling a car.

UncleMaz 10-20-2009 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck Z (Post 7003905)
5M = 5-speed

Thanks Chuck.

Chuck Z 10-20-2009 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by JWise (Post 7003875)

Thanks for the update.

I'm not a credible source so it NEVER happened..... :roflmao:

IcemanG17 10-20-2009 10:32 PM

WOW....congratulations to Wilhoit.....I didn't think it would sell...but clearly he understands the GTS market much better than I do!

Chuck Z 10-20-2009 10:43 PM

For those interested in seeing specifically which 1995 928 GTS this is, click here: http://www.928registry.org/1995-928GTS-0122.htm

http://www.928registry.org/car357-03.jpg

hacker-pschorr 10-20-2009 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck Z (Post 7003963)
For those interested in seeing specifically which 1995 928 GTS this is, click here: http://www.928registry.org/1995-928GTS-0122.htm

Did you ask the new owner for permission to have that information in the registry? :icon107:

:D

Chuck Z 10-20-2009 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr (Post 7004008)
Did you ask the new owner for permission to have that information in the registry? :icon107:

:D

:roflmao: .......most won't know the joke here but, the answer is actually yes.:thumbup:

Marine Blue 10-20-2009 11:14 PM

I'm incredibly disappointed to learn that this car was literally 10 minutes from where I work. Not only that but about 5 weeks ago I was driving by the local Porsche dealier and I saw a Silver 928 sitting out front with cones around it. I went back later in the week to see if it was still there and unfortunately it was gone. Now that I know where the car came from I know this must have been it since there is only one other silver 928 I'm aware in this area. Really bummed that I didn't get to see it in person before it goes back into storage in someone's collection.

hacker-pschorr 10-20-2009 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck Z (Post 7004022)
:roflmao: .......most won't know the joke here but, the answer is actually yes.:thumbup:

Whoops, wrong forum...........:icon501:

;)

NoVector 10-20-2009 11:39 PM

Maybe it’s the POS insulated intake tubes or the cooked stickers on the radiator, but the engine just looks like it’s got more than 6K miles on it(?) Guess I was expecting to see something incredibly clean… like Kermit’s. :thumbup:

F451 10-20-2009 11:46 PM

Thanks for sharing Chuck. -Ed

redpathtribe 10-21-2009 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by JWise (Post 7003875)

Thanks for the update.

Now that's just LOL funny! :roflmao: :roflmao: (and I really did...)

linderpat 10-21-2009 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by NoVector (Post 7004113)
Maybe it’s the POS insulated intake tubes or the cooked stickers on the radiator, but the engine just looks like it’s got more than 6K miles on it(?) Guess I was expecting to see something incredibly clean… like Kermit’s. :thumbup:

Shirley you jest! :icon501:That bay looks showroom to me.
Also, Kermit will always stand apart, as it was a total concours restoration iirc - meaning much cleaner than showroom would ever be. Cars just don't come from the factory that way:thumbup:

RyanPerrella 10-21-2009 02:41 AM

awesome number!

although im not envious of owning that car, not that i could ever afford it.

I just wish the US customers ordered some more funky colored cars like the crazy europeans. Silver with black doesn't do anything for me.

But my favorite color Amethyst is a color i know not many people would be cought dead in lol well maybe Prince.

karl ruiter 10-21-2009 02:48 AM

Just looks like a 928 to me....Yes nicer than my $4k S4, but not 26 times nicer. Then again I remember a discussion I had with a roommate just after college. He had just spent $30k for a older benz of some sort and I had just spend $300 of a '70 VW squareback. I say "Ray, you could have bought 100 squarebacks". He said "Karl, I don't want 100 squarebacks".

worf928 10-21-2009 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck Z (Post 7003863)
I was told by Michael Willhoit the car sold this week for $103,500.

Awesome! :cheers:

Does the previous owner know? :) (I wonder if knowing would kill him or if he would care?)

Originally Posted by Marine Blue (Post 7003906)
Amazing what good advertising and proper contacts can do when selling a car.

Yup! :thumbup: It is apparently worth $50k in the case.

Considering that spending maybe 15 hours with a camera, a text editor, and a bit of Speed Shine here-and-there would have presented the car well...

.... that time was worth about $3300 per hour.

Let that be a lesson for folks that try to sell an otherwise nice 928 with a couple of dusty Polaroid pictures.

William A 10-21-2009 03:41 AM

That cinches it, I'm getting rid of those unsightly door mouldings!

Thanks for posting Chuck.

S4ordie 10-21-2009 09:11 AM

Fantastic! Love to hear the price for low mileage rare cars is still strong. Not for me as I need/want a 928 to drive not a museum piece. This is good news to the 928 community.

hacker-pschorr 10-21-2009 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by karl ruiter (Post 7004496)
Just looks like a 928 to me....Yes nicer than my $4k S4, but not 26 times nicer. Then again I remember a discussion I had with a roommate just after college. He had just spent $30k for a older benz of some sort and I had just spend $300 of a '70 VW squareback. I say "Ray, you could have bought 100 squarebacks". He said "Karl, I don't want 100 squarebacks".

Exclusivity is not cheap.

Same reason why a 1969 427 L88 Corvette is worth 5-6 times more than a L36 427. In this case the cheaper of the two could already sell for as much as a "normal" GTS.

Or how about this 1987 Countach, I have no idea what he paid for it (even though he's kinda local) but I'm sure it's significantly more than your "average" vintage Lambo.
Why? it only has 350 original miles.

http://www.erik27.com/cars/PearlCountach/

Ferris Bueller said it best:
"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." :)

928cs 10-21-2009 09:48 AM

Interesting information. Thank you.

I wonder how much would a nice 1989 Club-Sport worth in the USA then.
:roflmao:

Marine Blue 10-21-2009 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr (Post 7004731)
Exclusivity is not cheap.

Ferris Bueller said it best:
"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." :)

Couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbup:

Everyone has a different opinion and reason to buying something. I personally would love to own the GTS if I had the means...but I would hate driving it. I'm happy with the somewhat low mile GT although its also getting to a point where I worry about driving it. Then again, if I had the means to buy the GTS I would also buy a higher mile 928 to drive and have plenty of garage space to park them inside.

hacker-pschorr 10-21-2009 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Marine Blue (Post 7004908)
I personally would love to own the GTS if I had the means...but I would hate driving it.

+1

Which is why a car like this (and GTS's in general) are not my "thing" and why I've unfortunately rubbed a few people the wrong way around here in these threads. I fully appreciate why certain cars sell for a premium, it's simply not my preference to own cars like this. At least not now.

That Lamborghini I posted is a prime example. The owner of that car has owned quite a few Lambo's over the years. Some people in the Lambo forum were on him about owning such a fine auto and never driving it. This is his response:

"Thought I'd update everyone one this car, I just purchased it and would like to say a few things in regard to it and me. First of all, there are very few people who actually owned a Countach and drove them in the 80's and early 90's...I purchased my first in 1988 from MotorCars International...Red and beautiful and "drove the hell out of it". Liked it so much, I bought 3 more over the next 5 years. I started out at 16 with a 440 six-pak Road Runner and have lived a pretty full life as far as cars go...several Pantera's, AMG Merc's, Lotus, M series BMW's to 850 CSI BMW's, Ferrari's...including a beautiful yellow 512 TR, Diablo's, including a 30 SE once owned by Joe Sackey, anyhow...the Countach always had the most soul...the most something that can't be put to words...but you had to live it in it's time. To drive the Hell out of it now is kind of stupid and I believe the Countach in general is at it's most dangerous time, a time when the wrong people buy one, because their relatively cheap and they always wanted one. Usually the wrong owner and usually driven hard. Duesenbergs were turned into Garbage Trucks after the Depression...people just don't care when it's yesterday's car. It takes a few generations to figure out historic significance. Anyway, what I'm saying is, I've been there and done that, and did it in the car's prime...this car does not now need to be driven the hell out of, it it a piece of history and is going to stay that way."

In a way, the part:

"I believe the Countach in general is at it's most dangerous time, a time when the wrong people buy one, because their relatively cheap and they always wanted one."

Very much applies to the 928.

cold_beer839 10-21-2009 11:33 AM

$103k, Damn, that is a walk off homerun.

Tom in Austin 10-21-2009 11:55 AM

OK, I'll go check James Morrison's garage to see if it turns up there ... LOL

pcar928fan 10-21-2009 01:12 PM

I will need to sell a WHOLE LOT MORE DVD's and Calendars to make anything like that happen. Heck I would need to sell a lot more of both just to buy a beater off CL! LOL! Still not close to breaking even on the calendars yet. Finally broke even on the DVD's!

I was thinking you needed another GTS Tom...maybe one with a WING THIS TIME! LOL! Hey, you changed your Avatar! COOL! Yolanda is getting a lot of love in the poll too! I think she is running 2nd right now behind Jim Stadters car and Ariya!

Tony 10-21-2009 01:42 PM

WOW! thats great! 103.5K!!!!!
Good snippet there Eric, very true.
That Countach is :eek::bowdown:

Leno...Seinfeld perhaps? Kudos to the owner and i hope it stays "preserved"

Marine Blue 10-21-2009 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr (Post 7004936)
+1

That Lamborghini I posted is a prime example. The owner of that car has owned quite a few Lambo's over the years. Some people in the Lambo forum were on him about owning such a fine auto and never driving it. This is his response:

"Thought I'd update everyone one this car, I just purchased it and would like to say a few things in regard to it and me. First of all, there are very few people who actually owned a Countach and drove them in the 80's and early 90's...I purchased my first in 1988 from MotorCars International...Red and beautiful and "drove the hell out of it". Liked it so much, I bought 3 more over the next 5 years. I started out at 16 with a 440 six-pak Road Runner and have lived a pretty full life as far as cars go...several Pantera's, AMG Merc's, Lotus, M series BMW's to 850 CSI BMW's, Ferrari's...including a beautiful yellow 512 TR, Diablo's, including a 30 SE once owned by Joe Sackey, anyhow...the Countach always had the most soul...the most something that can't be put to words...but you had to live it in it's time. To drive the Hell out of it now is kind of stupid and I believe the Countach in general is at it's most dangerous time, a time when the wrong people buy one, because their relatively cheap and they always wanted one. Usually the wrong owner and usually driven hard. Duesenbergs were turned into Garbage Trucks after the Depression...people just don't care when it's yesterday's car. It takes a few generations to figure out historic significance. Anyway, what I'm saying is, I've been there and done that, and did it in the car's prime...this car does not now need to be driven the hell out of, it it a piece of history and is going to stay that way."

In a way, the part:

"I believe the Countach in general is at it's most dangerous time, a time when the wrong people buy one, because their relatively cheap and they always wanted one."

I know many on this forum would not agree but that is such a true statment and it applies to many high end cars from yesteryear and now.

But driving them once in a while really does make you appreciate the car that much more and for those that weren't fortunate enough to own them in their prime its hard to just put them in storage for viewing pleasure only.

Bill51sdr 10-21-2009 02:15 PM

Might have been referring to the GTS?

turbobooost 10-21-2009 04:06 PM

JUST FOR THE RECORD,BOTH THE $92,500.00 94 GTS AND THE $103,500.00 95 GTS BOTH WENT TO THE BEST POSSIBLE CLIENTS DEDICATED TO PRESERVING THE MARQUE IN EACH OF THEIR COLLECTIONS..:thumbup: !!!!

928ntslow 10-21-2009 04:11 PM

This could be the first time I've seen a 928 sell for more than the original sticker price.

hacker-pschorr 10-21-2009 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by 928ntslow (Post 7005952)
This could be the first time I've seen a 928 sell for more than the original sticker price.

If Chuck sells Kermit that could be #2 :)

turbobooost 10-21-2009 04:38 PM

ACTUALLY IT HAS HAPPENED 2 TIMES NOW AND KERMITT WILL BE #3:cheers:

Marine Blue 10-21-2009 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by turbobooost (Post 7005937)
JUST FOR THE RECORD,BOTH THE $92,500.00 94 GTS AND THE $103,500.00 95 GTS BOTH WENT TO THE BEST POSSIBLE CLIENTS DEDICATED TO PRESERVING THE MARQUE IN EACH OF THEIR COLLECTIONS..:thumbup: !!!!

Spill the beans :evilgrin:

worf928 10-21-2009 05:14 PM

turboboost? CAPS LOCK KEY BROKEN? Or do you just YELL all the time? :icon501:

Chuck Z 10-21-2009 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by turbobooost (Post 7006044)
ACTUALLY IT HAS HAPPENED 2 TIMES NOW AND KERMITT WILL BE #3:cheers:

.....actually it has happened 3 times already and Kermit will be #4. My GTS sold to Roger for more than the original sticker also. :cheers:

Chuck Z 10-21-2009 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr (Post 7004936)
+1

Which is why a car like this (and GTS's in general) are not my "thing" and why I've unfortunately rubbed a few people the wrong way around here in these threads. I fully appreciate why certain cars sell for a premium, it's simply not my preference to own cars like this. At least not now.

In a way, the part:

Erik, I'm probably one of those you reference above but I have to say; this is the most logical explanation on another view of GTS (or rare cars from yesterday) I've ever read.

andy-gts 10-21-2009 07:35 PM

How many of those dollars(103K) were Bernake's INFLATION dollars ....ouch! EVerything is going up and fast
andy
:roflmao:

VehiGAZ 10-21-2009 08:59 PM

WOW.

Well, I understand the decision to spend money like that on a car like that: a collector with the means and a fancy for a particular model wants the best of the breed [in the eye of the cash-holder] with the lowest mileage.

In cases like this, the money is often much easier to come by than the opportunity.

Chuck Z 10-22-2009 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by VehiGAZ (Post 7006832)
In cases like this, the money is often much easier to come by than the opportunity.

I copied this quote to RW as I think you're dead on here and this is profound in a 928 sort of way.....

pkrasusky 10-25-2009 01:58 AM

bwHA!

Soooooo much _ha_larity_ here - where to begin?

Hearing His persistant / annoying bellyaching like a sniveling schoolgirl over like $2k to buy the thing knowing He was going to flip it?

Na.

That the last one 'sold for what it did' b/c He said it did? (or this one for that matter - remember: Wag The Dog).

Na.

"What $" it was traded in for? (this one's esp bwHA - squared - twice - cubed)

Na.

That it was traded on a <gasp> Gayman? (haahahahha)

Na.

That the seller here doesn't 'mind reading this'?

Na.

That I'd rather have 486,359 cars for $103k first. Or for $90k. Or for the redonkulously cheap coin it was traded in for? (yes Marine, this was the car miles away from you, yes it was sooooomuchless than you can even remotely fathom - tho - more in line of what the car was 'worth').

(meh)

Na.

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth.

Priceless.

Tx for the laughs guys - this has been a *riot*.

Biggest (saddest) shame to me is one of you DIEHARDS didn't scoff it up rightquick for the right $. You guys here really bleed these things and I really adore that (srsly!), someone here IMO reeeeeally *deserved* it. Hey I tried - contrary to all the name calling / mudslinging (I esp. love those playing the stale "member" card, or "post count" - been here since many yous sprouted pubes, my 'post count' appears to have been ??? reset).

8-) as always - I'm not the galactic peenus that you'd think - tried to help yas but...

(yes I'll copy/paste this to Pelican, saves you from pointing it out Chuck)

blown 87 10-25-2009 02:18 AM

what would your post say in the type of English that a old guy from Georgia could understand?

I can tell you are bitching about something, but at who, what or why, things get a bit cloudy for me.

I did get the fact that you seem to be making a deal out of how long you have been here and how little or many post you have.

WTF is your point?

Originally Posted by krasuskyp (Post 7016101)
bwHA!

Hearing His persistant / annoying bellyaching like a sniveling schoolgirl over like $2k to buy the thing knowing He was going to flip it?

Na.

That the last one 'sold for what it did' b/c He said it did? (or this one for that matter - remember: Wag The Dog).

Na.

Na.

Na.

Na.

That I'd rather have 486,359 cars for $103k first. Or for $90k. Or for the redonkulously cheap coin it was traded in for? (yes Marine, this was the car miles away from you, yes it was sooooomuchless than you can even remotely fathom - tho - more in line of what the car was 'worth').

(meh)

Na.

Priceless.

Biggest (saddest) shame to me is one of you DIEHARDS didn't scoff it up rightquick for the right $. You guys here really bleed these things and I really adore that (srsly!), someone here IMO reeeeeally *deserved* it. Hey I tried - contrary to all the name calling / mudslinging (I esp. love those playing the stale "member" card, or "post count" - been here since many yous sprouted pubes, my 'post count' appears to have been ??? reset).

8-) as always - I'm not the galactic peenus that you'd think - tried to help yas but...

worf928 10-25-2009 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by blown 87 (Post 7016116)
I can tell you are bitching about something, but at who, what or why, things get a bit cloudy for me.

Heh. You did better than me. I couldn't even figure that part out.

WTF?

karl ruiter 10-25-2009 03:53 AM

Hope kra***** is stoned. Be a shame if he is that incoherent all the time.

cold_beer839 10-25-2009 09:56 AM

Reference post #47

Users have been banned for less.......

Especially after several consecutive posts that do nothing but irritate members of this forum.

Hey I tried - contrary to all the name calling / mudslinging (I esp. love those playing the stale "member" card, or "post count" - been here since many yous sprouted pubes, my 'post count' appears to have been ??? reset).

These 3 points need addressing:

A reset post count? yes it's a conspiracy against you. Just double the medication you are taking and your post count will go back to it's previous figure of 22.

True, you are a massive dick.

Let me guess, you are a disliked douche bag on Pelican as well?

Chuck Z 10-25-2009 11:43 AM

bwHA!

Na.

Na.

Na.

Na.

Na.

(meh)

Na.

Priceless.

I think I understand most of the giberish (errrr.. whiskey talk?). To it, I will respond with:

My take on this is; you and your enthusinut buddies advised the seller about what you guys thought would be a realistic price based on your very limited knowledge of the 928 GTS market (you probably looked on Autotrader and cars.com and said the number should be $X? - am I close?) and he went with it. Oh, and since you quoted production numbers it appears you've visited my website for some additional research? Then, to everyone's surprise the car sold in just a few days where in the past he couldn't sell it even though it was listed for months/years at a time. Rationale for price; all cars depreciate so it has to be less than the last attempt...... Guess what; you gave him bad advise and the car was bought by a dealer who resold it (quickly too I might add....) for considerably more than the original seller got for it. Sounds like some uniformed advisor's and a more uninformed seller? How am I doin so far? Per one of your other babbling posts; No innuendo, no heresy, no conjecture and most of all no speculation; just facts! Most here and Pelican told you the price was low but you knew better.......

To you sir I say: FAIL!!!!

pkrasusky 10-25-2009 11:52 AM

The laughs here are endless - refreshing is it seems there are at least a couple here w/o their heads completely up their arses (maybe 3?).

Sorry if my language is incoherent to you - I'll try to dumb it down to See Spot Run levels for you I guess? Yikes.

Once again - alllllll the info you need is in my couple of posts on this. That you can't figure it out is sad - but not as sad that none of you got to take advantage of this in the first place. Like I said earlier, I won't bother you all with any more heads' up here. Unfortunate. Interesting things come around here often and always $ to be saved. You'd all rather piss on an 'outsider' and pay more or miss opp's altogether - sure thang.

Shame ignorance isn't painful.

Regarding post count, genius - my mention of it was in response to a number of ***you winnaars here*** dissing me about it previously. My count was reset this summer it appears, while I don't give a rats arse many here seemed to take issue with it (and continue to here). I wouldn't have an aggregate of like 3k or 5k tho as I actually have a life.

And, name calling? For real??? Golly. I finished like eight grade loooooong ago. Too many here seem to be stuck 'there' (name calling / can't extrapolate details / etc.). Way to make friends - it's a small community.

Banned? Shoot, at this point it'd almost be a favor.

Onward / upward gents. Again tx for the laughs, this has been quite the chuckle and provided great insight into this section of the board...

ps. Chuck - I see you continuing in your ASSumptions. Hey least you got *one* right (last night waaaaas a whiskey night - kudos!). Tho I'm not seeing the gibberish - just re-read, it's just facts, heck not even a typo. The rest - just awesome. Remember - you don't know as much as you boast, but it makes you feel good thinking you do. Keep up the good werk. Fail? Definitely. I failed to help an enthusiast save a ton of bucks with an amazing opportunity. Definitely failed.

shmark 10-25-2009 12:00 PM

Not sure but I think he's saying "I told you so." As to what, I have no idea.

soupcan 10-25-2009 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by krasuskyp (Post 7016555)
at least a couple here w/o their heads completely up their arses (maybe 3?).

Could have been 4 but mine slipped back in after reading some of your posts.

Chuck Z 10-25-2009 12:09 PM

The laughs here are endless - refreshing is it seems there are at least a couple here w/o their heads completely up their arses (maybe 3?).

......snip

And, name calling? For real??? Golly. I finished like eight grade loooooong ago. Too many here seem to be stuck 'there' (name calling / can't extrapolate details / etc.). Way to make friends - it's a small community.

Pot, meet kettle!

Onward / upward gents. Again tx for the laughs, this has been quite the chuckle and provided great insight into this section of the board...

NO, thank you as you've provided most of the laughs!

ps. Chuck - I see you continuing in your ASSumptions. Hey least you got *one* right (last night waaaaas a whiskey night - kudos!). Tho I'm not seeing the gibberish - just re-read, it's just facts, heck not even a typo. The rest - just awesome. Remember - you don't know as much as you boast, but it makes you feel good thinking you do. Keep up the good werk. Fail? Definitely. I failed to help an enthusiast save a ton of bucks with an amazing opportunity. Definitely failed.

Coming from you this hurts! :p

linderpat 10-25-2009 12:12 PM

Sorry if my language is in coherent to you - I'll try to dumb it down to See Spot Run levels for you I guess? Yikes.

Uh, we speak English here dude. This language contains basic things like PUNCTUATION, SPELLING, and, oh yeah, GRAMMER. So if you want to stop by and insult us, please do so with the proper decorum:rtfm:

cold_beer839 10-25-2009 01:16 PM

...I actually have a life.

Now that is a laugh.

danglerb 10-25-2009 01:22 PM

Kinda sad, but at least the car is in good hands now.

inactiveuser1 10-25-2009 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck Z (Post 7003863)
Thought most of the 928 enthusiasts here would appreciate this one and I do not wish to revive the thread about the 6k mile 1995 928 GTS in CT regarding the sale of subject GTS. I was told by Michael Willhoit the car sold this week for $103,500. I’m not posting this to start the usual heated discussion regarding value and I know there are lots of opinions on both sides of this subject so I am posting for mainly for informational purposes.

Too bad the rest of the 928's havent gone up in value,thought after all these years they would of finally come back up some.
Looked up in Kelly Blue Book same year for S4 and 911 for 1987
1987 928 S4 MSRP was around 58,000 high value now $15,000
1987 911 turbo MSRP was around 63,000 high value now $40,000
At least it was good to see the GTS sell for some good money.

928SS 10-25-2009 08:17 PM

Thats awesome!

IIRC, the GTS has always brought top dollar. my guess is cause it's got all the latest and greatest refinements, 5.4L, brakes, suspension, etc, etc. and usually in the best condition because they were the last ones produced.

kinda makes one want to go find a decent one at a bargain while they are still out there, clean it up and store it for a while like folks have done with muscle cars, select pasta rockets, etc...

thanks for the info chuck :)

Chuck Z 10-25-2009 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by M928 (Post 7017372)
Too bad the rest of the 928's havent gone up in value,thought after all these years they would of finally come back up some.
Looked up in Kelly Blue Book same year for S4 and 911 for 1987
1987 928 S4 MSRP was around 58,000 high value now $15,000
1987 911 turbo MSRP was around 63,000 high value now $40,000
At least it was good to see the GTS sell for some good money.

I agree. Caution would be, don't believe everything you read in the valuation books.

VehiGAZ 10-25-2009 09:07 PM

Chuck et al,

Why are you even responding to that douchebag krasuskyp's posts? You will never convince him of anything, and he will never stop pissing on our campfire. Just ignore him...

VehiGAZ 10-25-2009 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck Z (Post 7009155)
I copied this quote to RW as I think you're dead on here and this is profound in a 928 sort of way.....

Re-reading my comment, I kinda like it. :)

An aphorism a day... :biggulp:

Chuck Z 10-25-2009 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by VehiGAZ (Post 7017668)
Chuck et al,

Why are you even responding to that douchebag krasuskyp's posts? You will never convince him of anything, and he will never stop pissing on our campfire. Just ignore him...

He cracks me up! Seriously, can he really be such a tool or is he just being a troll at this point? :burnout:

S4ordie 10-26-2009 01:18 AM

I think he believes there are a lot of people on this Forum who are kicking themselves for not having scooped up the car.

If a poll were to be taken I suspect few if anyone on this forum was truly interested in buying that car for a number of reasons.... price ($62k is a big number in today's economy) and for someone like me, I want cars that I can drive. This car is and should be a museum artifact.

If there was a poll as to who feels like they missed out on not buying that car I'd be first to vote "No Interest"

pcar928fan 10-26-2009 02:32 AM

I agree with Dan here... if I were to spend $62k on a car right now I would seriously be looking at 997TT's (might still be above that mark though) or Ferrari 360 spiders! Those would cars I could DRIVE! The only other hanger queen I would be interested in is Kermit!

Marine Blue 10-26-2009 09:00 AM

Only reason I would have purchased it is to flip it since I knew it was worth more. It would have required some convincing to make it happen (wife) but I could have made it happen. In the end I had the impression the seller wanted it to go to someone who was genuinely interested in keeping the car and not flipping it so I didn't bother.

hacker-pschorr 10-26-2009 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck Z (Post 7006274)
Erik, I'm probably one of those you reference above but I have to say; this is the most logical explanation on another view of GTS (or rare cars from yesterday) I've ever read.

+1
The owner of the pearl Lamborghini summed it up perfectly, I'm simply not ready to be the caretaker for cars like this.
I did a piss poor job trying to say the same thing he did and in turn unintentionally ruffled a few feathers.

but not as sad that none of you got to take advantage of this in the first place.

Is that why you bought the car and made a quick $45,000?
Oh wait, you didn't either..... :roflmao:

cobalt 10-26-2009 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck Z (Post 7017964)
He cracks me up! Seriously, can he really be such a tool or is he just being a troll at this point? :burnout:

Sounds like both. What I find interesting is he talks like the GTS is an inferior car and yet appears to drive a stock 930. If he would buy so many other cars for the money why is he driving a 930 and not one of these other cars? Performance levels of a GTS and 930 are not very different.

Chuck Z 10-26-2009 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by pcar928fan (Post 7018387)
I agree with Dan here... if I were to spend $62k on a car right now I would seriously be looking at 997TT's (might still be above that mark though) or Ferrari 360 spiders! Those would cars I could DRIVE! The only other hanger queen I would be interested in is Kermit!

997TT is quite a bit above that number right now as are the F-cars I think. For me, I paid more than that to get my GTS back and I couldn't be happier about doing so. Not many chances to get a 95 GTS 5M especially a really nice low mileage one....

Originally Posted by cobalt (Post 7018807)
Sounds like both. What I find interesting is he talks like the GTS is an inferior car and yet appears to drive a stock 930. If he would buy so many other cars for the money why is he driving a 930 and not one of these other cars? Performance levels of a GTS and 930 are not very different.

I'm sure I know what his answer would be to what I'm sure is a rhetorical question but I must admit I wondered the same thing. At least the GTS can spin it's wheels on loose gravel.... Not sure about the 930; at least until the turbo kicks in......

turbobooost 10-26-2009 03:16 PM

AS STATED BEFORE...IT'S NOT THE QUESTION TO SPEND THE MONEY,IT IS HAVING THE OPPORTUNITY OFFERED TO YOU ,TO BUY IN THE FIRST PLACE..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ONLY A SELECT FEW HAVE THAT AND ARE LUCKY ENOUGH TO BE IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME WITH THE BALLS TO PULL THIER TRIGGER !!!!:biggulp:...P.S. CHUCK....LOVE THE LOOSE GRAVEL STATEMENT !!! + 111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 !!

Chuck Z 10-26-2009 04:27 PM

^^^ ;-)

Randy V 10-26-2009 04:38 PM

The car is on display at my house if anyone cares to see it.

:p

danglerb 10-26-2009 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by turbobooost (Post 7019542)
AS STATED BEFORE...IT'S NOT THE QUESTION TO SPEND THE MONEY,IT IS HAVING THE OPPORTUNITY OFFERED TO YOU ,TO BUY IN THE FIRST PLACE..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ONLY A SELECT FEW HAVE THAT AND ARE LUCKY ENOUGH TO BE IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME WITH THE BALLS TO PULL THIER TRIGGER !!!!:biggulp:...P.S. CHUCK....LOVE THE LOOSE GRAVEL STATEMENT !!! + 111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 !!

Balls? This isn't about having too much of anything related to balls, its about having too much money.

F4GIB 10-27-2009 01:13 AM

I'm sorry that mine will go over 40,000 miles next Spring. But she's the classiest and most fun automobile I've ever had. The GTS is only car I ever liked the act of driving. What a blast!

Best decision (other than letting my wife choose me) that I ever made.

928ntslow 10-27-2009 05:09 AM

It should be of no surprise why I had lost interest in Rennlist and haven't been around for a while...not that I expect anyone to give a rats ass, just commenting out loud.

Since I am, I may as well do it in between yawns. I've come to face facts that 95% of ALL Porsche owners just don't "get" the GTS...and that's OK, I do and just about every damn time I am out with mine, if I don't get a drooling compliment, someone wants to buy it from me. This is not to say it's the best car out there or even 928 period. It is just something that has to be owned and appreciated. I could never expect...or even muster the strength to argue with a non 928 owner, as to understanding of the cars pedigree.

As always, I support the GTS and the higher prices it can ascertain by the educated and ones in the know. Alas..in the end, it's just a ****ing car. ...and I feel good that I actually have a life that keeps me in check, to not get so absorbed in bench wars where I would take it personally. Viva la Rennlist!

hacker-pschorr 10-27-2009 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by 928ntslow (Post 7021596)
It should be of no surprise why I had lost interest in Rennlist and haven't been around for a while...not that I expect anyone to give a rats ass, just commenting out loud.

Since I am, I may as well do it in between yawns. I've come to face facts that 95% of ALL Porsche owners just don't "get" the GTS...and that's OK, I do and just about every damn time I am out with mine, if I don't get a drooling compliment, someone wants to buy it from me. This is not to say it's the best car out there or even 928 period. It is just something that has to be owned and appreciated. I could never expect...or even muster the strength to argue with a non 928 owner, as to understanding of the cars pedigree.

As always, I support the GTS and the higher prices it can ascertain by the educated and ones in the know. Alas..in the end, it's just a ****ing car. ...and I feel good that I actually have a life that keeps me in check, to not get so absorbed in bench wars where I would take it personally. Viva la Rennlist!

Seriously Keith, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

With the exception of krasuskyp and one other post, where is anyone bashing or questioning GTS ownership or the value of this car???

I really think your a stand up guy Keith, but I do not get where you are coming from in these threads.
Your car is one of the nicest 928's on the planet, IMO the fact that it's a GTS has very little to do with it. You simply own a damn nice 928 that just happens to be a GTS.
If you take that as bashing GTS's in general, well there isn't much else anyone can say then.

95% of Porsche owners don't get the GTS? 99% of Porsche owners don't get the 928 in general, even some 928 owners.

VehiGAZ 10-27-2009 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck Z (Post 7017964)
Seriously, can he really be such a tool or is he just being a troll at this point? :burnout:

Well, he does own a 911, so... :icon107:

Hee-hee... just pushing the vs. button! And in defense of the 911, I will share a little story with you...

A co-worker of mine had a VW R32 with a modified suspension and some other tricks, but still wasn't happy with it - too many scenarios in which he felt thrown around the road, and of course, it's not really all that fast. He somehow ended up taking a 996 for a test drive, and fell in love. He was telling me about how it was fast, but the suspension was so awesome that he could hit bumps on fast corners and not upset the car in the slightest, and he could go over the speed bumps in ourt parking lot at 45 mph and not lose a filling, and it was comfortable, and did I mention fast? And... and... (well, you understand - he loved the car and was buying it). He expressed genuine surprise that the 911 was as good as the hype, if not better. To which I replied, "Well of course - people don't buy 911s just because they're assholes!"

He liked that.... he says he got a JD just so he could be one. ;)

928ntslow 10-27-2009 03:41 PM

Thanks Mark...sometimes it's hard to think outside of ones own realm. You're right and I probably should have said 928's in general, but every time a thread in this forum has come up over the GTS selling or being offered for a higher price, many 928 owners have chimed in with their discontent noting that the GTS is not worth it. Heck MOST 928's for a higher dollar for that matter. Look back through the history and you will see what I am referring to.

Because I haven't been around much, I was just making reference to the general flow of comments over the years in threads about GTS's.

928SS 10-27-2009 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 928ntslow (Post 7021596)

I just thought it was cause U moved to a place that rains 160 days a year and snows another 30, so your pcar has to be stored like we keep umbrellas in SOCAL, and you were getting cabin fever early, hahaha

928ntslow 10-27-2009 07:17 PM

More accurately (and I shouldn't say this because it pisses off the locals causing more folks to move here) we do get rain, but it is considered a rain day if it rains for a half hour one morning which is the usual. We don't get near the rain in Portland that people think and snow is a couple of days out of the year...quite mild through the winter months. There are about 27 or so states that get more rainfall than Oregon Check the national average.

S4ordie 10-27-2009 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by 928ntslow (Post 7023466)
We don't get near the rain in Portland that people think and snow is a couple of days out of the year...quite mild through the winter months. There are about 27 or so states that get more rainfall than Oregon Check the national average.

That's because most of Oregon is a desert. It is not so much the quantity of the rain you get but the duration of long spells of dark gray cloudiness, short days in the winter. It takes some getting used to.

We get far more rain here in Lihue than you get in Portland but it comes in spurts then is sunny again. Much better that way.

S4ordie 10-27-2009 07:51 PM

Keith - It's not the quanity of rainfall but the low amount of sunshine that makes for the long winters and reputation for dreary weather. London is similar to the Pac NW but even less rainfall.

Annual rainfall averages:
London 25in / 63cm
Seattle 6in / 91cm
Portland OR 38in / 97cm
New York NY 42in / 107cm
Lihue HI 50in / 127cm
Auckland NZ 50in / 127cm
Miami FL 60in / 152cm

Bill51sdr 10-27-2009 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by 928ntslow (Post 7023466)
More accurately (and I shouldn't say this because it pisses off the locals causing more folks to move here) we do get rain, but it is considered a rain day if it rains for a half hour one morning which is the usual. We don't get near the rain in Portland that people think and snow is a couple of days out of the year...quite mild through the winter months. There are about 27 or so states that get more rainfall than Oregon Check the national average.

Wife's from Corvalis, moved here on '03 and hasn't looked back. She LOVES sunshine. It is a beautiful place to visit though... when it isn't raining. :D

Keith, Sharktoberfest misses you...

928SS 10-27-2009 09:12 PM

well, it IS amazingly green.. guess that's what happens when u live in a place that actually does get rain
:)

:cheers:

928ntslow 10-28-2009 04:08 PM

Just know that most everyone up here want folks to believe it does suck and rain all the time. Gray and cloudy and dreary...and so on. Not the case. Yea, we get those days, but...ahhh screw it, it does suck here...rains all the time and everyone is always thinking about suicide..... ;) Just look at my sig pic below.

Bill, thank you..I've heard that every year since....nice to know.

Ketchmi 10-28-2009 04:36 PM

I had to run up to Portland a couple of winters ago during a Oregon "snowstorm" to help out a friend. When we flew in (flight was late, airport was shut down!) there were approx. 4" of snow on the ground and they would not rent us a car, only a HUMMER. It had shut down the entire city and people were getting out of their cars and abandoning them on the highway. I told our hotel clerk that the quantity of snow they just got only slows Utah drivers down to the speed limit...

I could live in Portland, one of my favorite places.

Ispeed 07-08-2010 12:46 PM

I just found out the story of this car from a salesman at Rietzl Porsche in Hingham MA and the next owner, "European Engineering" in Framingham MA.

Traded in by Marcos Sastrie at Rietzl, they gave him (just guessing) maybe $25K for the car
Bought by the owner of European Engineering for maybe $30K, and sold by him for the actual price of $35,000.
I guess then sold to MW for ?? 60K and finally sold for $103K.

The salesman at Rietzl is a nice guy, and likes 928s but didn't know what these cars were going for.

Marine Blue 07-08-2010 01:56 PM

Carl did you talk to Jeff at Rietzl? I had a slightly different story and I'm curious who you talked too.