Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   1995 928 GTS 5M sells for $103,500 (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/530782-1995-928-gts-5m-sells-for-103-500-a.html)

F4GIB 10-27-2009 01:13 AM

I'm sorry that mine will go over 40,000 miles next Spring. But she's the classiest and most fun automobile I've ever had. The GTS is only car I ever liked the act of driving. What a blast!

Best decision (other than letting my wife choose me) that I ever made.

928ntslow 10-27-2009 05:09 AM

It should be of no surprise why I had lost interest in Rennlist and haven't been around for a while...not that I expect anyone to give a rats ass, just commenting out loud.

Since I am, I may as well do it in between yawns. I've come to face facts that 95% of ALL Porsche owners just don't "get" the GTS...and that's OK, I do and just about every damn time I am out with mine, if I don't get a drooling compliment, someone wants to buy it from me. This is not to say it's the best car out there or even 928 period. It is just something that has to be owned and appreciated. I could never expect...or even muster the strength to argue with a non 928 owner, as to understanding of the cars pedigree.

As always, I support the GTS and the higher prices it can ascertain by the educated and ones in the know. Alas..in the end, it's just a ****ing car. ...and I feel good that I actually have a life that keeps me in check, to not get so absorbed in bench wars where I would take it personally. Viva la Rennlist!

hacker-pschorr 10-27-2009 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by 928ntslow (Post 7021596)
It should be of no surprise why I had lost interest in Rennlist and haven't been around for a while...not that I expect anyone to give a rats ass, just commenting out loud.

Since I am, I may as well do it in between yawns. I've come to face facts that 95% of ALL Porsche owners just don't "get" the GTS...and that's OK, I do and just about every damn time I am out with mine, if I don't get a drooling compliment, someone wants to buy it from me. This is not to say it's the best car out there or even 928 period. It is just something that has to be owned and appreciated. I could never expect...or even muster the strength to argue with a non 928 owner, as to understanding of the cars pedigree.

As always, I support the GTS and the higher prices it can ascertain by the educated and ones in the know. Alas..in the end, it's just a ****ing car. ...and I feel good that I actually have a life that keeps me in check, to not get so absorbed in bench wars where I would take it personally. Viva la Rennlist!

Seriously Keith, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

With the exception of krasuskyp and one other post, where is anyone bashing or questioning GTS ownership or the value of this car???

I really think your a stand up guy Keith, but I do not get where you are coming from in these threads.
Your car is one of the nicest 928's on the planet, IMO the fact that it's a GTS has very little to do with it. You simply own a damn nice 928 that just happens to be a GTS.
If you take that as bashing GTS's in general, well there isn't much else anyone can say then.

95% of Porsche owners don't get the GTS? 99% of Porsche owners don't get the 928 in general, even some 928 owners.

VehiGAZ 10-27-2009 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck Z (Post 7017964)
Seriously, can he really be such a tool or is he just being a troll at this point? :burnout:

Well, he does own a 911, so... :icon107:

Hee-hee... just pushing the vs. button! And in defense of the 911, I will share a little story with you...

A co-worker of mine had a VW R32 with a modified suspension and some other tricks, but still wasn't happy with it - too many scenarios in which he felt thrown around the road, and of course, it's not really all that fast. He somehow ended up taking a 996 for a test drive, and fell in love. He was telling me about how it was fast, but the suspension was so awesome that he could hit bumps on fast corners and not upset the car in the slightest, and he could go over the speed bumps in ourt parking lot at 45 mph and not lose a filling, and it was comfortable, and did I mention fast? And... and... (well, you understand - he loved the car and was buying it). He expressed genuine surprise that the 911 was as good as the hype, if not better. To which I replied, "Well of course - people don't buy 911s just because they're assholes!"

He liked that.... he says he got a JD just so he could be one. ;)

928ntslow 10-27-2009 03:41 PM

Thanks Mark...sometimes it's hard to think outside of ones own realm. You're right and I probably should have said 928's in general, but every time a thread in this forum has come up over the GTS selling or being offered for a higher price, many 928 owners have chimed in with their discontent noting that the GTS is not worth it. Heck MOST 928's for a higher dollar for that matter. Look back through the history and you will see what I am referring to.

Because I haven't been around much, I was just making reference to the general flow of comments over the years in threads about GTS's.

928SS 10-27-2009 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 928ntslow (Post 7021596)

I just thought it was cause U moved to a place that rains 160 days a year and snows another 30, so your pcar has to be stored like we keep umbrellas in SOCAL, and you were getting cabin fever early, hahaha

928ntslow 10-27-2009 07:17 PM

More accurately (and I shouldn't say this because it pisses off the locals causing more folks to move here) we do get rain, but it is considered a rain day if it rains for a half hour one morning which is the usual. We don't get near the rain in Portland that people think and snow is a couple of days out of the year...quite mild through the winter months. There are about 27 or so states that get more rainfall than Oregon Check the national average.

S4ordie 10-27-2009 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by 928ntslow (Post 7023466)
We don't get near the rain in Portland that people think and snow is a couple of days out of the year...quite mild through the winter months. There are about 27 or so states that get more rainfall than Oregon Check the national average.

That's because most of Oregon is a desert. It is not so much the quantity of the rain you get but the duration of long spells of dark gray cloudiness, short days in the winter. It takes some getting used to.

We get far more rain here in Lihue than you get in Portland but it comes in spurts then is sunny again. Much better that way.

S4ordie 10-27-2009 07:51 PM

Keith - It's not the quanity of rainfall but the low amount of sunshine that makes for the long winters and reputation for dreary weather. London is similar to the Pac NW but even less rainfall.

Annual rainfall averages:
London 25in / 63cm
Seattle 6in / 91cm
Portland OR 38in / 97cm
New York NY 42in / 107cm
Lihue HI 50in / 127cm
Auckland NZ 50in / 127cm
Miami FL 60in / 152cm

Bill51sdr 10-27-2009 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by 928ntslow (Post 7023466)
More accurately (and I shouldn't say this because it pisses off the locals causing more folks to move here) we do get rain, but it is considered a rain day if it rains for a half hour one morning which is the usual. We don't get near the rain in Portland that people think and snow is a couple of days out of the year...quite mild through the winter months. There are about 27 or so states that get more rainfall than Oregon Check the national average.

Wife's from Corvalis, moved here on '03 and hasn't looked back. She LOVES sunshine. It is a beautiful place to visit though... when it isn't raining. :D

Keith, Sharktoberfest misses you...

928SS 10-27-2009 09:12 PM

well, it IS amazingly green.. guess that's what happens when u live in a place that actually does get rain
:)

:cheers:

928ntslow 10-28-2009 04:08 PM

Just know that most everyone up here want folks to believe it does suck and rain all the time. Gray and cloudy and dreary...and so on. Not the case. Yea, we get those days, but...ahhh screw it, it does suck here...rains all the time and everyone is always thinking about suicide..... ;) Just look at my sig pic below.

Bill, thank you..I've heard that every year since....nice to know.

Ketchmi 10-28-2009 04:36 PM

I had to run up to Portland a couple of winters ago during a Oregon "snowstorm" to help out a friend. When we flew in (flight was late, airport was shut down!) there were approx. 4" of snow on the ground and they would not rent us a car, only a HUMMER. It had shut down the entire city and people were getting out of their cars and abandoning them on the highway. I told our hotel clerk that the quantity of snow they just got only slows Utah drivers down to the speed limit...

I could live in Portland, one of my favorite places.

Ispeed 07-08-2010 12:46 PM

I just found out the story of this car from a salesman at Rietzl Porsche in Hingham MA and the next owner, "European Engineering" in Framingham MA.

Traded in by Marcos Sastrie at Rietzl, they gave him (just guessing) maybe $25K for the car
Bought by the owner of European Engineering for maybe $30K, and sold by him for the actual price of $35,000.
I guess then sold to MW for ?? 60K and finally sold for $103K.

The salesman at Rietzl is a nice guy, and likes 928s but didn't know what these cars were going for.

Marine Blue 07-08-2010 01:56 PM

Carl did you talk to Jeff at Rietzl? I had a slightly different story and I'm curious who you talked too.