Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   1995 928 GTS 5M sells for $103,500 (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/530782-1995-928-gts-5m-sells-for-103-500-a.html)

hacker-pschorr 10-20-2009 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck Z (Post 7004022)
:roflmao: .......most won't know the joke here but, the answer is actually yes.:thumbup:

Whoops, wrong forum...........:icon501:

;)

NoVector 10-20-2009 11:39 PM

Maybe it’s the POS insulated intake tubes or the cooked stickers on the radiator, but the engine just looks like it’s got more than 6K miles on it(?) Guess I was expecting to see something incredibly clean… like Kermit’s. :thumbup:

F451 10-20-2009 11:46 PM

Thanks for sharing Chuck. -Ed

redpathtribe 10-21-2009 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by JWise (Post 7003875)
Wow! I hope Bruce Anderson sees this. ;)

Thanks for the update.

Now that's just LOL funny! :roflmao: :roflmao: (and I really did...)

linderpat 10-21-2009 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by NoVector (Post 7004113)
Maybe it’s the POS insulated intake tubes or the cooked stickers on the radiator, but the engine just looks like it’s got more than 6K miles on it(?) Guess I was expecting to see something incredibly clean… like Kermit’s. :thumbup:

Shirley you jest! :icon501:That bay looks showroom to me.
Also, Kermit will always stand apart, as it was a total concours restoration iirc - meaning much cleaner than showroom would ever be. Cars just don't come from the factory that way:thumbup:

RyanPerrella 10-21-2009 02:41 AM

awesome number!

although im not envious of owning that car, not that i could ever afford it.

I just wish the US customers ordered some more funky colored cars like the crazy europeans. Silver with black doesn't do anything for me.

But my favorite color Amethyst is a color i know not many people would be cought dead in lol well maybe Prince.

karl ruiter 10-21-2009 02:48 AM

Just looks like a 928 to me....Yes nicer than my $4k S4, but not 26 times nicer. Then again I remember a discussion I had with a roommate just after college. He had just spent $30k for a older benz of some sort and I had just spend $300 of a '70 VW squareback. I say "Ray, you could have bought 100 squarebacks". He said "Karl, I don't want 100 squarebacks".

worf928 10-21-2009 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck Z (Post 7003863)
I was told by Michael Willhoit the car sold this week for $103,500.

Awesome! :cheers:

Does the previous owner know? :) (I wonder if knowing would kill him or if he would care?)

Originally Posted by Marine Blue (Post 7003906)
Amazing what good advertising and proper contacts can do when selling a car.

Yup! :thumbup: It is apparently worth $50k in the case.

Considering that spending maybe 15 hours with a camera, a text editor, and a bit of Speed Shine here-and-there would have presented the car well...

.... that time was worth about $3300 per hour.

Let that be a lesson for folks that try to sell an otherwise nice 928 with a couple of dusty Polaroid pictures.

William A 10-21-2009 03:41 AM

That cinches it, I'm getting rid of those unsightly door mouldings!

Thanks for posting Chuck.

S4ordie 10-21-2009 09:11 AM

Fantastic! Love to hear the price for low mileage rare cars is still strong. Not for me as I need/want a 928 to drive not a museum piece. This is good news to the 928 community.

hacker-pschorr 10-21-2009 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by karl ruiter (Post 7004496)
Just looks like a 928 to me....Yes nicer than my $4k S4, but not 26 times nicer. Then again I remember a discussion I had with a roommate just after college. He had just spent $30k for a older benz of some sort and I had just spend $300 of a '70 VW squareback. I say "Ray, you could have bought 100 squarebacks". He said "Karl, I don't want 100 squarebacks".

Exclusivity is not cheap.

Same reason why a 1969 427 L88 Corvette is worth 5-6 times more than a L36 427. In this case the cheaper of the two could already sell for as much as a "normal" GTS.

Or how about this 1987 Countach, I have no idea what he paid for it (even though he's kinda local) but I'm sure it's significantly more than your "average" vintage Lambo.
Why? it only has 350 original miles.

http://www.erik27.com/cars/PearlCountach/

Ferris Bueller said it best:
"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." :)

928cs 10-21-2009 09:48 AM

Interesting information. Thank you.

I wonder how much would a nice 1989 Club-Sport worth in the USA then.
:roflmao:

Marine Blue 10-21-2009 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr (Post 7004731)
Exclusivity is not cheap.

Ferris Bueller said it best:
"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." :)

Couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbup:

Everyone has a different opinion and reason to buying something. I personally would love to own the GTS if I had the means...but I would hate driving it. I'm happy with the somewhat low mile GT although its also getting to a point where I worry about driving it. Then again, if I had the means to buy the GTS I would also buy a higher mile 928 to drive and have plenty of garage space to park them inside.

hacker-pschorr 10-21-2009 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Marine Blue (Post 7004908)
I personally would love to own the GTS if I had the means...but I would hate driving it.

+1

Which is why a car like this (and GTS's in general) are not my "thing" and why I've unfortunately rubbed a few people the wrong way around here in these threads. I fully appreciate why certain cars sell for a premium, it's simply not my preference to own cars like this. At least not now.

That Lamborghini I posted is a prime example. The owner of that car has owned quite a few Lambo's over the years. Some people in the Lambo forum were on him about owning such a fine auto and never driving it. This is his response:

"Thought I'd update everyone one this car, I just purchased it and would like to say a few things in regard to it and me. First of all, there are very few people who actually owned a Countach and drove them in the 80's and early 90's...I purchased my first in 1988 from MotorCars International...Red and beautiful and "drove the hell out of it". Liked it so much, I bought 3 more over the next 5 years. I started out at 16 with a 440 six-pak Road Runner and have lived a pretty full life as far as cars go...several Pantera's, AMG Merc's, Lotus, M series BMW's to 850 CSI BMW's, Ferrari's...including a beautiful yellow 512 TR, Diablo's, including a 30 SE once owned by Joe Sackey, anyhow...the Countach always had the most soul...the most something that can't be put to words...but you had to live it in it's time. To drive the Hell out of it now is kind of stupid and I believe the Countach in general is at it's most dangerous time, a time when the wrong people buy one, because their relatively cheap and they always wanted one. Usually the wrong owner and usually driven hard. Duesenbergs were turned into Garbage Trucks after the Depression...people just don't care when it's yesterday's car. It takes a few generations to figure out historic significance. Anyway, what I'm saying is, I've been there and done that, and did it in the car's prime...this car does not now need to be driven the hell out of, it it a piece of history and is going to stay that way."

In a way, the part:

"I believe the Countach in general is at it's most dangerous time, a time when the wrong people buy one, because their relatively cheap and they always wanted one."

Very much applies to the 928.

cold_beer839 10-21-2009 11:33 AM

$103k, Damn, that is a walk off homerun.