Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   while we were sleeping, missed this '93 GTS, 27K, $23,500! (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/315617-while-we-were-sleeping-missed-this-93-gts-27k-23-500-a.html)

low miler 12-04-2006 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by perrys4
It will probably be back uop for sale soon. Manager and a broker probably working together to make some cash on the side.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised at all. A quick way to make at least 10 grand!

Kevin Q 12-04-2006 04:53 PM

Low miler, I drove that silver one in RI, it had an expensive custom stereo install and a built in radar detector that went off every 2 minutes if I remember correctly. The salesman that rode with me had no idea what it was and after I showed him what it could do he said, "wow I didn't know these cars where that fast". I believe they were asking 35k.

low miler 12-04-2006 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Q
Low miler, I drove that silver one in RI, it had an expensive custom stereo install and a built in radar detector that went off every 2 minutes if I remember correctly. The salesman that rode with me had no idea what it was and after I showed him what it could do he said, "wow I didn't know these cars where that fast". I believe they were asking 35k.

Yep, that's the one alright! I removed all the crap, fixed the stereo, and made a real nice car out of it. But you already know it was a nice car!

928ntslow 12-04-2006 05:55 PM

Uh yea...when was the last time you saw ANY dealer post a 928 wayyy under value????? ESPECIALLY a GTS with 27000 miles. Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

perrys4 12-04-2006 07:56 PM

Not knowing the value these days doesn't cut it. The internet makes finding pricing very easy. A dealer would know how to look one up. Its a fishy deal.

BC 12-04-2006 08:10 PM

Nothing is ever as it seems, either good or bad.

EspritS4s 12-04-2006 10:30 PM

So, if you were a dealer, where would you look online to find the value of a 93 GTS with 27K miles? Ebay? I doubt it. It may have been a fishy deal, but they may have also looked up the numbers in the book (which prices the car in the mid $20's) and just gone with it. I'm sure that's how they would have come up with the trade-in value. I don't know Chamber's policies, but I know of at least one other very large dealership chain that would have way underpriced this car due to their policies on markups on trade-ins.

-Gary

Charley B 12-04-2006 10:50 PM

As a dealer selling the car one could assume they would have checked Kelly Blue Book for retail value where they would have been informed of a value of $33,540. Of course we have no idea what impact the condition may have had on their decision. Good or bad.

EspritS4s 12-04-2006 11:03 PM

Interesting... When I plug the numbers into both NADA and KBB, I get a high retail value of $28K.

-Gary

perrys4 12-04-2006 11:06 PM

Someone said they own Porsche dealerships. I am sure one of them would have a contact for a realistic price.

EspritS4s 12-04-2006 11:06 PM

Oh, I see, you get a value of $33K if you plug in a California zip code. I checked using a Boston area zip. That's a pretty big regional adjustment.

-Gary

Charley B 12-04-2006 11:08 PM

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/Selection/Equipment.aspx

Charley B 12-04-2006 11:09 PM

That's an amazing regional difference.

danglerb 12-04-2006 11:10 PM

Make sure you include the mileage and all the "stuff".

Every trade in I have ever made the dealer either knew the value, or called other dealers to see what they could wholesale the car for. This dealership is part of a chain with two Porsche dealers in it, I find it REAL hard to believe they didn't know exactly what the value of the car was.

EspritS4s 12-04-2006 11:24 PM

I included all the mileage and stuff. My main point is that this is a very well established Mercedes dealership. They aren't going to spend a lot of time tracking down the value of such a rare car. The general manager's friend story may have had something to do with it, but they are unlikely to offer more than the book trade in value. They don't want a 13 year old Porsche sitting on their lot, so the premium they charge over the trade in value would reflect this. I agree with everyone that they made a mistake on this car at the very least. I guess I'm just not as surprised that it happened.
Most people with this kind of car would never consider trading it in at a dealership, which is why this isn't more common.

-Gary