Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another bushing question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 08:27 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Yet another bushing question

I'm installing Delrin bushings on a new LR 30mm anti sway bar. The two photos below illustrate the possible ways these bushings can be installed. Originally I installed them as shown in the first photo, with the assumption the "lip" on the bushing was intended to keep the drop link from sliding off the bushing.

After installing, I realized the drop link wasn't going anywhere, and the "lip" was probably meant to keep the bushing itself from sliding off the sway bar, so I reversed the installation as shown in the second photo.

Can anyone confirm the correct orientation for these bushings?

Thanks,
Attached Images   
Old 06-29-2017, 10:59 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I can't say with any authority, but I think the second picture is correct.

Here's why: the flange on the bushing should be "trapped" between the sway bar change in diameter and drop link collar. Logically speaking, of course.

I think you figured that out though!
Old 06-29-2017, 11:21 PM
kens_74911s
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bush

I agree the flange Lip should be inside so the bushing cannot "walk out" .

Not sure about what the Delrin showing above that is in the vertical portion of the mount. UHMW is a tad more compliant as a bushing but still stiff like Delrin, while not absorbing moisture over time that causes Delrin it to age harden and crack.
K
Old 06-30-2017, 11:10 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

To your question, the lip goes to the inside, second photo.

On the bushing above that...delrin bushings are meant to go in place of the rubber bushings. I can't tell if you're just mocking up the use of one rubber and one delrin bushing that will be used on the control arms or if you intend to run with the rubber and delrin stacked on the lower side as shown. As shown, they are not installed correctly.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:53 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

+1 lip on inside and remove the other rubber bush that's stacked on your Delrin.

Just be aware that sways act in multiple planes so don't replace all the bushes with delrin. Either do the inners or the outers but do not do both or they will break, ask me how I know.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:18 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mj951

On the bushing above that...delrin bushings are meant to go in place of the rubber bushings. I can't tell if you're just mocking up the use of one rubber and one delrin bushing that will be used on the control arms or if you intend to run with the rubber and delrin stacked on the lower side as shown. As shown, they are not installed correctly.
No, I'm not mocking it up, as Mike notes, only one of the two bushings can be Delrin, one rubber is required according to the designer. That's just my understanding per Racer's Edge/Paragon, which is where the bushes are from:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Race...re_mc-4200.htm

Thanks to all for confirming correct orientation
Old 06-30-2017, 03:23 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kens_74911s
UHMW is a tad more compliant as a bushing but still stiff like Delrin, while not absorbing moisture over time that causes Delrin it to age harden and crack.
K
I'm not familiar with the material "UHMW"? Any places you can point me? I'll do a basic search on the term but I don't even know what it stands for?

Thanks,
Old 06-30-2017, 03:32 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mj951

I just wanted to make sure I haven't misunderstood your comment; are you saying the delrin/rubber bushes shouldn't be "stacked" the way they're shown, instead installed with one bush above the a-arm and the other below...

-or-

The bushes should be "stacked" as shown, but both should be Delrin.

The second choice runs counter to what Racer's Edge recommend and also Mike's observation, but if you're telling me they're stacked incorrectly I'd appreciate knowing that. Which one is best installed on top?

Thanks,
Old 06-30-2017, 03:52 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
I'm not familiar with the material "UHMW"? Any places you can point me? I'll do a basic search on the term but I don't even know what it stands for?
Got it; "Ultra High Molecular Weight".

I haven't stumbled on a set of UHMW poly bushings for those drop links yet though.

One thing that could be important is this isn't a power rack car anymore, so leaking PS fluid on the Delrin sway bar bushings isn't a factor.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:01 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

I think I found an answer to my question about the drop link installation here:

http://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techart...arge/pic02.jpg

It seems to show one bush above the A-Arm and the other below, meaning my photo shows an incorrect installation.

I'm still not sure which one should be Delrin. I'm leaning towards putting the Delrin bush under the A-Arm and the rubber above. That seems to make the most sense to me mechanically.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:20 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
...one bush above the A-Arm and the other below, meaning my photo shows an incorrect installation.

I'm still not sure which one should be Delrin. I'm leaning towards putting the Delrin bush under the A-Arm and the rubber above. That seems to make the most sense to me mechanically.
Yes you've got it, that's what everyone's trying to tell you as previously you had them stacked on the same side. Rubber one side, delrin the other, iirc it doesn't matter which way.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:33 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Yes you've got it...
Thanks all for being patient. I've discovered it's real easy to misunderstand people on open forums like this, so I always try to confirm my understanding a few times in different ways to make sure I got it. I think it also improves the historical value of the thread to have conversations like this.

In conclusion: The outer bushings are to be installed with the "lip" on the inward side to prevent the bush from "walking" or slipping out from the drop link.

The drop link bushings should be separated, one above the a-arm, one below. It doesn't matter which is the Delrin bushing (a matter of personal choice) but they probably should be installed the same way (in the same stacking sequence) on both sides of the car.

Best Regards,
Old 06-30-2017, 07:43 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Default Conclusion:

The attached photos show the lift setup used to jack the 30mm front sway bar into position, along with a closeup showing the orientation of the sway bar bushings. The second photo is supposed to show the Delrin bush installed under the a-arm and the rubber bush installed above it. You may need to play with the contrast to get the image of that part out

All the bolts have been installed finger tight and are waiting for final torque. I'm going out to dinner to celebrate Independence Day, eat raw fish and maybe buy myself a cigar.

Thanks to all for their expert help getting this done. I hope others will also find it helpful.

Regards,
Attached Images   

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 06-30-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:56 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Nice work! ...but why did you fit early castor blocks instead of the upgraded factory 968 blocks?
Old 06-30-2017, 08:10 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Nice work! ...but why did you fit early castor blocks instead of the upgraded factory 968 blocks?
Mike, I think the word I'm looking for here is "ignorance"

I only discovered the 968 castor block upgrade this morning, ironically while I was trying to figure out what a "UHMW" (ultra high molecular weight, or something like that) was.

I really didn't know there was such a critter and haven't read anything suggesting it before, or anything like it, was used on the "Super Seven". It's all a crap shoot, I'm not really building a reproduction of a Super Seven car; I'm sort of following the philosophy. I probably would have used that castor block had I known about it.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Yet another bushing question