Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor swap in Porsche 924 and 944

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 05:52 PM
JulesTheFox
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor swap in Porsche 924 and 944

hey guys and gals. I'm Jules!

I figured I'd has this forum since I can't seem to find reliable information on it.

I did use the search function that is provided here but I got little back that helped my curiosity. ever since I saw the 944 that my neighbor had when I was a kid in the 90s, I've a had a knack for one. and nearly bought a different version of the 944 when I turned 16 in 2005.

fast forward about 3 years in 2008, I had discovered that people were dropping the GM/Chevy LSs in it. great, but I'd like to keep the car in the family and drop a Audi / VW V6 or Audi VW V8

so my question is - is there anyone on here who has does this? and if so, may I ask how it was done??

I know I'm going to catch s*** for wanting to replace it, and many questions of 'whats wrong with the straight 4" .... well nothing is wrong with that, I just want a little more power, and simplicity. not saying that dropping a turbo four in is a bad idea, I would prefer the V6 or V8.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:37 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/
Old 06-23-2017, 08:05 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I won't throw sh:t for pulling a 30-year-old 4-cylinder, but I will give you sh:t for putting in an Audi/VW motor...The LS swap will be better in every way.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:52 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

A few folks have put in the VAG 1.8T.
See some sweet examples here, but it is largely a DIY endeavour unless you want to pay these guys to do it for you.
http://www.motorwerksracing.com/
Old 06-23-2017, 10:30 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

A 928 might be just the ticket for you. I really wanted one of those the most, but the added cost of rebuilding and impracticality of using it to haul my butt back and forth to work killed that idea. If I can't enjoy what ever car I get as a daily driver, it just wouldn't be driven. A 944 should be a good compromise.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:21 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm gonna agree with everyone else - If you want to swap, go with the tried and true LSx. It's a much more straightforward swap than anything else you could do, and you can meet basically any power goal you have with that motor.

Once you swap anything, it's not original anymore anyway, might as well go with the proven method.
​​​​​​
Of course, that's assuming your goal is just to make a super-powerful 944 relatively cheaply. If you are in it for the challenge of swapping something unique, then go for whatever strikes your fancy.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:25 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

I've gone back and forth with the thought of swapping over the years as my wants for the car have evolved.

Were I to do it now, bearing in mind the restrictions of my state, I'd try a 1.8T.
They just open up SO MUCH room in the engine bay...
Old 06-24-2017, 05:32 PM
JulesTheFox
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Tremelune
I won't throw sh:t for pulling a 30-year-old 4-cylinder, but I will give you sh:t for putting in an Audi/VW motor...The LS swap will be better in every way.
whild I'm sure the 30 year old motor would hold up with use, I kinda want a daily driver with a little bit more pep to it. yes, I know it's only 100 ponies, but my concern is the age and the fact that it's going to be a bitch.

the LS swaps looks good and many people have done them. I kinda would prefer to drop the Audi VW in for the sheer fact that, it's familiar to me.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:33 PM
JulesTheFox
7th Gear

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
I've gone back and forth with the thought of swapping over the years as my wants for the car have evolved.

Were I to do it now, bearing in mind the restrictions of my state, I'd try a 1.8T.
They just open up SO MUCH room in the engine bay...
the 1.8T is appealing for that alone. finding a decent one is kinda a pain. if I could find a already rebuilt one or hell a brand new one, that would be a better option for me.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:36 PM
JulesTheFox
7th Gear

Originally Posted by SloMo228
I'm gonna agree with everyone else - If you want to swap, go with the tried and true LSx. It's a much more straightforward swap than anything else you could do, and you can meet basically any power goal you have with that motor.

Once you swap anything, it's not original anymore anyway, might as well go with the proven method.
​​​​​​
Of course, that's assuming your goal is just to make a super-powerful 944 relatively cheaply. If you are in it for the challenge of swapping something unique, then go for whatever strikes your fancy.
I understand that once the motor is pulled, it's no longer original.

I kinda going for the uniqueness aspect, honestly.

.. I also agree with the LS being completely straight forward (I've had my fair share of seeing others dropping that motor in other stuff, including my buddy's Tahoe)
Old 06-24-2017, 05:38 PM
JulesTheFox
7th Gear

Originally Posted by tempest411
A 928 might be just the ticket for you. I really wanted one of those the most, but the added cost of rebuilding and impracticality of using it to haul my butt back and forth to work killed that idea. If I can't enjoy what ever car I get as a daily driver, it just wouldn't be driven. A 944 should be a good compromise.

the only Porsches that are considered 'practical' are the Panamera, the Cayenne, and the Macan (which I dont get)

but I get the gist of what you're getting it.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:41 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JulesTheFox
the 1.8T is appealing for that alone. finding a decent one is kinda a pain. if I could find a already rebuilt one or hell a brand new one, that would be a better option for me.
they are just another mass-produced iron block alum head 4 cylinder - any machine shop should be able to rebuild it for you for cheap...

I understand that once the motor is pulled, it's no longer original.

I kinda going for the uniqueness aspect, honestly.

.. I also agree with the LS being completely straight forward (I've had my fair share of seeing others dropping that motor in other stuff, including my buddy's Tahoe)
btw...only a few people around this forum will ever give you crap for originality, but certainly not me...i say **** the purists, people like that are why i can't stand going to PCA events, it's not just the old 911s spewing hot air, if you know what i mean.

make the car how you want it...
Old 06-24-2017, 08:42 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

google 944 1.8 or 924 1.8 and youll find lots...

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=37749

i mean just look at the space!
Name:  P1010263_zps63043202.jpg
Views: 6365
Size:  139.8 KB
Old 06-24-2017, 08:58 PM
JulesTheFox
7th Gear

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
google 944 1.8 or 924 1.8 and youll find lots...

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=37749

i mean just look at the space!
HOLY ****! that's a ridiculous amount of space.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:19 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

hey guys and gals. I'm Jules!

I figured I'd has this forum since I can't seem to find reliable information on it.

I did use the search function that is provided here but I got little back that helped my curiosity. ever since I saw the 944 that my neighbor had when I was a kid in the 90s, I've a had a knack for one. and nearly bought a different version of the 944 when I turned 16 in 2005.

fast forward about 3 years in 2008, I had discovered that people were dropping the GM/Chevy LSs in it. great, but I'd like to keep the car in the family and drop a Audi / VW V6 or Audi VW V8

so my question is - is there anyone on here who has does this? and if so, may I ask how it was done??

I know I'm going to catch s*** for wanting to replace it, and many questions of 'whats wrong with the straight 4" .... well nothing is wrong with that, I just want a little more power, and simplicity. not saying that dropping a turbo four in is a bad idea, I would prefer the V6 or V8.

I want a car I can enjoy at HPDEs, autoX, and other things. I also want something fairly unique. I used to want a Monster Miata bad but it's really hard to get tires in one. I might still go that route. I will be honest though, I'm very strongly considering a 5.3 ls series powered 944.

Quick Reply: motor swap in Porsche 924 and 944