Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crosspost -- a peitition for a very worthy man

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 11:52 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by fty
...uhh liberals are ruining this country...
puleeeeease.....

Last edited by MichelleJD; 11-20-2003 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:21 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Some people try to sound educated in saying that the "ends don't justify the means" -- you are wrong. It is my contention that if you can honestly say that you would not have done the exact same thing giving the events that unfolded, that you are UN-AMERICAN and do not deserve to set foot on this country. If you would truly lose your soldiers to protect the short term hearing of some scumbag prisoner who would at any given chance kill you and your men? But after you make that decision, I wonder if you would be man enough or philosophical enough to tell those soldiers family and friends that you had a chance to prevent their death, but didn't.

That is how I determine this to be just and right. I would at least hope I would have the courage to do what the Col. did, and anyone who says they wouldn't I believe is no better then the Iraqi who Col. West scared.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:30 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Matt Olde
But after you make that decision, I wonder if you would be man enough or philosophical enough to tell those soldiers family and friends that you had a chance to prevent their death, but didn't.
That's what I was thinking when I signed the petition. My dad fought in Vietnam and I know that to the soldier, war is hell. Although rules are there for a reason, I personally feel that saving the lives of a group of soldiers is of much greater importance than the temporary hearing loss of another soldier.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:30 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the question comes down to would he have gone further if the prisoner hadn't **** himself then? Would he have used more physical methods to get the information he needed? I think that him firing the gun was a 'bluff' and the prisoner bought it. I honestly don't see the harm in that, firing a gun near the guy.

Now if he had shot him in the foot or something, then that would be a whole different story. But I think that what he did caused no harm to anyone, and saved the lives of American soldiers.

Although I am going to have to agree with michelle on the "liberals are ruining the country." Come on, that's like saying Bush ruined the economy when he stepped into office. Naive and ignorant. Who knows how long ago these rules were even written.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:47 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ahofam123
I personally feel that saving the lives of a group of soldiers is of much greater importance than the temporary hearing loss of another soldier.
Agree with you on all accounts. But these opponents are no soldiers. They are not front line warriors in uniform. What they are a bunch of outlaw terrorist without conscience who do not adhere to any civilized laws. They bombed internationally recognized and reserved Red Cross. Bombed the non-military United Nations relief staff attending to basic human needs of Iraq. Using the word "soldier" honors these terrorist too much.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:47 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

My credentials to speak my mind on this: I spent just shy of 10 years in the Army. I was an enlisted man, a non-commissioned officer, and then a commissioned officer. I served in combat arms and in support roles. I served in conventional units and in special operations. I got out only after sustaining an injury that was not consistent with continued military service.

That being said...if this guy was a career, field-grade officer, which he was, he should have been smarter than that. You can't have ***** or do what is truly morally right and/or logical in many situations in today's millitary. Should he have used whatever methods were needed to get the info? Sure. Can you do that in today's military? Hell no.

So this situation should be no surprise to anyone who knows how business is conducted in today's military - but, unfortunately, most don't. I do. But, please don't get me started....

YMMV Al
Old 11-20-2003, 03:25 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by 91S2
My credentials to speak my mind on this: I spent just shy of 10 years in the Army. I was an enlisted man, a non-commissioned officer, and then a commissioned officer. I served in combat arms and in support roles. I served in conventional units and in special operations. I got out only after sustaining an injury that was not consistent with continued military service.

That being said...if this guy was a career, field-grade officer, which he was, he should have been smarter than that. You can't have ***** or do what is truly morally right and/or logical in many situations in today's millitary. Should he have used whatever methods were needed to get the info? Sure. Can you do that in today's military? Hell no.

So this situation should be no surprise to anyone who knows how business is conducted in today's military - but, unfortunately, most don't. I do. But, please don't get me started....

YMMV Al
Well said. I was going to post something similar. (12 years, skipped the NCO step, and had a hereditary condition sideline me)

The Army has always been infested with bureaucrats. No surprise, as military action is an extension of politics, that politics extends throughout the military. Genuine warfighters have always clashed with pencil-necked paper pushers, and LTC West had to have known he was setting himself up for problems with the geeks. Careerism in the Army is sickening, if you've ever experienced it firsthand. Oop, sorry, was about to rant....

I emailed my congressional reps a couple weeks ago when I first heard about it. From my understanding, an upstanding officer is about to get shafted, and I just wanted my elected reps to understand I feel that it sucks. (I did get a response from one of the staffers, so I know SOMEBODY read it)
Old 11-20-2003, 03:45 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am torn on this issue. In the situation, I would have done the same to save the butts of my own men. However what if the colonel shooting a bullet was Iraqi and the victim was an American? The American soldier talks in fear of his life and gives away our troop position and they kill more of our troops.

In the same situation, I probably would have even tortured the guy to get information but I guess I would accept the punishment that comes with my actions. The scary thing is, at what point is it not acceptable? What if it takes taking a knife to skin somebody to make them talk?
Old 11-20-2003, 04:02 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

"[The enemy detainee] and his accomplices were a threat to our soldiers and the method was not right, but why should I...be forced into prison for protecting my men?," Col. West asks. Patriot Petitions poses the same question: How can we expect our frontline officers to fight wars the Bush administration calls "preemptive" if they are not given the latitude to respond -- preemptively -- to the asymmetric threats of terrorist aggressors

Signed as well! Bush and his lame-*** cronies need to wake the f%#k-up! Col.West is a hero, plain and simple, regardless of his tactics, he did what was called for at that time! Every American should sign and support Col. West's situation!

How the hell can we even consider prison time for a man who willingly risked his life for our country??? WTF?????
Old 11-20-2003, 04:06 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by jsonnen
[BBush and his lame-*** cronies need to wake the f%#k-up! Col.West is a hero, plain and simple, regardless of his tactics, he did what was called for at that time! Every American should sign and support Col. West's situation!

How the hell can we even consider prison time for a man who willingly risked his life for our country??? WTF????? [/B]
Problem is the stories on the news only focus on body count and setbacks. I cannot believe that there isn't an enormous amount of positive stuff going on there.

So, Bush only has so much political capital he can spend. Shoot, his approval ratings would still be at 75% if he just did the "I feel your pain" thing instead of taking action.

I am sure that public pressure will do some good in this case.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:16 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 89magic98

So, Bush only has so much political capital he can spend. Shoot, his approval ratings would still be at 75% if he just did the "I feel your pain" thing instead of taking action.

Kjp the petition is addressed to Bush,Rumsfeld and his other cronies, he has the power to right this situation pertaining to Col.West! I hope he doe's the right thing and honors the Col instead of sending him to prison!

11/4/2003 — Exonerate Lt. Col. Allen B. West from Criminal Prosecution

Signers: 116256

To President George Bush, Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, and acting Secretary of the Army Secretary Les Brownlee

Petition Text:

To President George Bush, Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, and acting Secretary of the Army Secretary Les Brownlee

Old 11-20-2003, 04:26 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

I mean to say, he spent a lot of so-called "policital capital" getting us involved in Iraq. He's getting hammered in the press all the time. But I think that, right or wrong, I would rather have a president try to do something rather than the "I feel your pain" hand-wringing.

I think this means that he needs to tell some underling to make it go away (resolve the issue in Lt.Col. West's favor), rather than say anything officially about it itself. He could act on this privately himself. I wouldn't expect him to have a press conference about this in public. In front of the media, he needs to appear to be only working on the "big-picture" stuff.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:38 PM
Phil Harrison
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Signed for 2
Old 11-21-2003, 03:45 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

This is awesome discussion. Does anyone here know anyone in congress or high up in that way?
Old 11-21-2003, 11:26 AM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting thing about Bush is that he derided the prior administration for advocating use of the military for nation building. Hmmm...

Quick Reply: Crosspost -- a peitition for a very worthy man