Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crosspost -- a peitition for a very worthy man

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 11:55 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 91S2
Interesting thing about Bush is that he derided the prior administration for advocating use of the military for nation building. Hmmm...
I suggest everyone try to find the daily show clipof "Bush vs. Bush" In it, TDS had a "debate" of Gov. Bush running for president vs. President Bush. I'ts pretty funny!
Old 11-21-2003, 01:39 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone knows nothing's going to happen to the guy, so I think it's a little early to start getting all riled up about it.

Look what happened to the pilots who bombed and killed Canadian troops in Afghanistan after being told to disengage. Nothing.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:39 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Oh, I don't know Peckster. He didn't kill, rape or pillage anyone so why bring the charges in the first place? There is some agenda going on here, we on the outside don't know what that is. This whole thing seems pretty silly to bring the guy up on charges when you look at it.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:54 PM
Jessa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by goalkeeper21
And that is illegal in some way??? In many wars people do that... just like the police beat the crap out of suspects to gain information... I don't understand but I'm definately going to sign
Police aren't supposed to be the crap out of anyone. If they do, its assault, same as if I just walked up to someone and smacked them with a baseball bat. They can have civil and criminal charged filed against them for it. Its grounds for suspenstion or removal for the police force.

Why are you signing something you say you don't understand? Think it through before pledging support.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:15 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

I PROUDLY signed the petition.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:21 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd like to know what happened in detail before I sign as well.

Firing a gun at a prisoner? It just doesn't seem right. It's almost like saying its ok if they put a gun to one of our soldiers head and shoot a bullet past his head just to get information out of him. Alot I can say but I'm going to stay out of this. It's not right either way.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:51 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

From some descriptions, not authorative and probably never will be, the Col. was apparently alone in a room with the prisoner interrogating him. The Col. must have gotten some vibes than an attack on his troops was about to happen. So he took out his side arm and fired two shots next to the prisoner's head to scare the $hit out of him. It worked and he got the information on the planned ambush, avoided it and saved his troops' lives.

Seems a reasonable action to me when one is at war and in harm's way. So it takes a couple days before the guy's ears stop ringing. I would have gone as far as threatening to fillet the prisoner alive and bury his remains in a pig skin so he would never get to his 70 virgins in Muslim heaven. Richard Burton, the famous explorer not actor, said that was a pretty effective way to get information. But that was well over a hundred years ago so not sure if it would work today. But worth a shot.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:03 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by IceShark
From some descriptions, not authorative and probably never will be, the Col. was apparently alone in a room with the prisoner interrogating him. The Col. must have gotten some vibes than an attack on his troops was about to happen. So he took out his side arm and fired two shots next to the prisoner's head to scare the $hit out of him. It worked and he got the information on the planned ambush, avoided it and saved his troops' lives.

Seems a reasonable action to me when one is at war and in harm's way. So it takes a couple days before the guy's ears stop ringing. I would have gone as far as threatening to fillet the prisoner alive and bury his remains in a pig skin so he would never get to his 70 virgins in Muslim heaven.
I agree 100%!!! This is war people, not "play nice time"! Unless any of us were actually there in the middle of this bull**** war, none of us can judge the men who have to deal with it on a day to day basis! Time to support Col.West!
Old 11-21-2003, 04:11 PM
Paul T.
Burning Brakes

I find it very interesting to see this same post going on in the "Lounge" and the responses are at the opposite end of the spectrum from these. It would be interesting to melt these posts together and see what comes out of it.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:42 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

So what your saying is its alrite for a person to take lives for the hell of it.

Lets say a bank robber walks into a bank with a group of guys, puts a gun to your loved ones head and pulls the trigger to get information out of them. The bank robber has nothing to lose, its war time for him too, which gives him the right to kill every person in that bank until he gets what he wants.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:47 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Originally posted by v944god
So what your saying is its alrite for a person to take lives for the hell of it.

Lets say a bank robber walks into a bank with a group of guys, puts a gun to your loved ones head and pulls the trigger to get information out of them. The bank robber has nothing to lose, its war time for him too, which gives him the right to kill every person in that bank until he gets what he wants.
See, you've completely missed the entire point, and completely misunderstood the story. He fired the gun near him to scare the **** out of the prisoner. He didn't actually shoot him, and didn't intend to shoot him. He meant to frighten the prisoner into talking, which worked, and saved the lives of American soldiers. Period.

Do you see these guys playing by the rules? Since when did it become ok to target the Red Cross? People are talking about how this might screw him up pyschologically. If he would have had the chance he would shoot the colnel in the head. I doubt he's going to have psychological problems over this.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by iloveporsches

Do you see these guys playing by the rules?
Well, no, but the point is that you guys are supposed to be better than them. Remember, you're the good guys, right?

If you start playing without rules, you're all the same.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:56 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Oh, come on. No one was taking a life in this event. And it wasn't just "for the hell of it" bank robber scenario.

I don't want to look it up and maybe a military Rennlister can chime in, but a combatant in civilian clothing can just be executed. All the POW rules of war no longer apply. End of story.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:27 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

POW rules only apply to POWs. This guy was not a POW. If you want to get techincal, we can get techincal. And I don't think he was alone in the room, but the way that "they" found out was in HIS report -- none of his men "told" on him.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:04 PM
kinda5150
Racer

WOW, i go off to cabo for a week and come back to this?!! although i'm prior army, and have had some interrogation training, i can't remember ever covering a scenario such as this. i assume that if you are interrogating someone they must be a pow. in which case the stupid-*** geneva convention rules apply. if you only knew how ridiculous the rules are, you'd be sick. it would be great if more than only a few countries actually followed it, but that is not the case. according to the geneva conventions, you aren't allowed to threaten bodily harm in any way, and pretending to shoot someone would be covered under that. being that the guy wasn't a pow, then i don't know what rules apply. either way, i would have done whatever it took as well. f the bureaucrats. war is war, not a f'ing bank robbery. if you lived in the real world then you would realize that. all of you who haven't served and think that what this guy did was so bad, sign up for a couple of years and then come back and tell us what you think. until then don't act like you know what's best for your soldiers or the people of the united states.

Quick Reply: Crosspost -- a peitition for a very worthy man