Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 951 vs BMW M3

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:24 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,549 Likes on 913 Posts

Look wins in motor sports makes the the m3 and gods chariot it was not made to be a street car it was built to go racing the 951 was built to help sell cars to upward mobile bankers and brokers it did not race that much in period BMW built 5000 initially in 86/87 won races in nearly stock form and built more to sell even they thought to build it to win races Porsche built the 951 to accent the 944 savior most of Porsche drivers have never driven an m3 they are great TRACK cars the engine was built to rev to 8000 10000 in race trim if you have watched moto gp races you know that spinning sound.the newer m3 have become heavier and more street able the 951 was so good Porsche canceled it because it pissed off 911 owners who were paying more for a slower car then Porsche incorporated the 951 technology into the 911(996) so again drive both love what you love but in the end cars are remembered around the by the wins/races they were in
Old 06-20-2017, 09:29 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYPOWR4
Look wins in motor sports makes the the m3 and gods chariot it was not made to be a street car it was built to go racing the 951 was built to help sell cars to upward mobile bankers and brokers it did not race that much in period BMW built 5000 initially in 86/87 won races in nearly stock form and built more to sell even more though they built it to win races Porsche built the 951 to accent the 944 savior most of Porsche drivers have never driven an m3 they are great TRACK cars the engine was built to rev to 8000 10000 in race trim if you have watched moto gp races you know that spinning sound.the newer m3 have become heavier and more street able the 951 was so good Porsche canceled it because it pissed off 911 owners who were paying more for a slower car then Porsche incorporated the 951 technology into the 911(996) so again drive both love what you love but in the end cars are remembered around the by the wins/races they were in
this posts should be about 951vs E30M3 only
Old 06-21-2017, 05:45 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NYPOWR4
this posts should be about 951vs E30M3 only
You actually read that ultra long sentence?
Old 06-21-2017, 08:56 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Raj,

It was his own sentence, so hopefully he knew what was in it.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:31 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Yes I've heard of all those tracks. I said I don't know them because I've never driven them personally. That area doesn't have any serious Spec E30 talent so it doesn't surprise me that they don't have the records over a 944. The real talent is on the two coasts, mostly in the SE and MidAtl, and a few ******* in CA (lol).

I don't think it's fair to compare SP2 to Spec E30. They usually are chipped where 944 Spec and Spec E30 are totally stock engines. Any serious suspension mod makes them incomparable too. I think they can run Hoosiers too.

The only time an SP1 would have an advantage is on a tight twisty course because the handling is a bit better.

I would love to come race in TX area, but it's too far and too freaking hot. When do you race? In February? COTA is the only track that would interest me.

I find your post a bit offensive, that in the south we somehow don't have talented drivers in E30s but other parts of the country do. The drivers around here are every bit as good as any on either coast, probably better. The fact is that in several examples provided the 944 was quicker and this was your lame excuse, attack driver talent. Good job.

Last edited by AnthonyGS; 06-22-2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: verbage
Old 06-22-2017, 09:54 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

"Grammar" really If that's what you got out this thread your the right guys the 951 world needs period end of sentence
Old 06-22-2017, 10:14 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Maybe NYPOW isn't aware that Porsche raced a turbo 924 with some pretty good results at some lil ole race named the 24 hrs of LeMans and that's one of the reasons they built the 931 and 951. Both had success racing too.

Let's face it BMW just gets fawned over by the press more. Read any car rag after driving any 3 series and you'd think any car is rubbish after reading that article.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:24 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
I find your post a bit offensive, that in the south we somehow don't have talented drivers in E30s but other parts of the country do. The drivers around here are every bit as good as any on either coast, probably better. The fact is that in several examples provided the 944 was quicker and this was your lame excuse, attack driver talent. Good job.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. Please, someone from that area go to Sebring this year and win the Nationals!
Old 06-22-2017, 12:34 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. Please, someone from that area go to Sebring this year and win the Nationals!

I've been around auto racing my entire life. My dad was an SCCA region president or something like that way back in 1970 or so in TX. I've been going to race tracks since I was 5 and working on cars. I'm a hack driver myself and know it. I don't get enough track time. I'm looking forward to getting back into autoX and doing some HPDE events again soon. My helmet is expired junk. I haven't done anything since I was in the Navy and driving Mustangs.

But to drive this point home one day at Pacific raceways (I was in WA state in the Navy) some clown named Michael Waltrip showed up. All the crap talk about how southern redneck stock car driver's can't drive starts getting spewed all over the infield. Well Mr. Waltrip borrowed a Legends car and participated in the Legend's race that weekend. He literally destroyed the competition in a spec car just like everyone else was driving. And if one is pretty honest, M. Waltrip wasn't exactly the best Nascar driver of his time.

Then there was a time my father was conducting some high performance tire testing for his work and for a client. They were testing it at a private testing facility. The thought from some management types was that maybe we as driver's weren't capable of pushing the car and tires hard enough so they hired a real racing driver named Price Cobb. Well unfortunately Mr. Cobb didn't have as much time on that track or in that car as others, so guess who was noticeably faster lap time wise; the old man.

There are a lot of guys that can driver their butts off that many would underestimate. I think it's hilarious that the Grand Tour is using Mike Skinner as their driver. His good old boy commentary makes me laugh and I relate to it quite well.

The fact is that an M3 and 944 are both pretty capable cars in the right hands. Both do it with non-ideal racing suspensions, and both are a lot of fun to drive, and one could even argue both are very underpowered compared to what each chassis has to offer. My preference is the Porsche. It looks exotic and was a dream car of mine since HS. The boxy E30 will never look exotic. The M3 looks like a warmed over family sedan, which is the appeal to many.

And for the record, if money is no object, I'll take a Ferrari 288 GTO over anything anyday.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:05 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
I've been around auto racing my entire life. My dad was an SCCA region president or something like that way back in 1970 or so in TX. I've been going to race tracks since I was 5 and working on cars. I'm a hack driver myself and know it. I don't get enough track time. I'm looking forward to getting back into autoX and doing some HPDE events again soon. My helmet is expired junk. I haven't done anything since I was in the Navy and driving Mustangs.

But to drive this point home one day at Pacific raceways (I was in WA state in the Navy) some clown named Michael Waltrip showed up. All the crap talk about how southern redneck stock car driver's can't drive starts getting spewed all over the infield. Well Mr. Waltrip borrowed a Legends car and participated in the Legend's race that weekend. He literally destroyed the competition in a spec car just like everyone else was driving. And if one is pretty honest, M. Waltrip wasn't exactly the best Nascar driver of his time.

Then there was a time my father was conducting some high performance tire testing for his work and for a client. They were testing it at a private testing facility. The thought from some management types was that maybe we as driver's weren't capable of pushing the car and tires hard enough so they hired a real racing driver named Price Cobb. Well unfortunately Mr. Cobb didn't have as much time on that track or in that car as others, so guess who was noticeably faster lap time wise; the old man.

There are a lot of guys that can driver their butts off that many would underestimate. I think it's hilarious that the Grand Tour is using Mike Skinner as their driver. His good old boy commentary makes me laugh and I relate to it quite well.

The fact is that an M3 and 944 are both pretty capable cars in the right hands. Both do it with non-ideal racing suspensions, and both are a lot of fun to drive, and one could even argue both are very underpowered compared to what each chassis has to offer. My preference is the Porsche. It looks exotic and was a dream car of mine since HS. The boxy E30 will never look exotic. The M3 looks like a warmed over family sedan, which is the appeal to many.

And for the record, if money is no object, I'll take a Ferrari 288 GTO over anything anyday.
Best comment of the thread! +100
Old 06-24-2017, 05:57 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

History always reveals the truth if people want to pay more for an m3 then 951 or more for 911 then both of them put together then let them. Make my choice 288gto as well

Quick Reply: 1989 951 vs BMW M3