Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm impressed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 01:08 PM
rich k
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm impressed!

I was given a gift of a 87 944 n/a for my birthday in september of this year. I have wanted a 944 since I was a kid. Any ways the car has a blown engine so I need another one obviously and i saw an oportunity to upgrade. I am going to drop a 951 engine into it soon.

Anyway, the point of the post is I hear all you 951 guys raving about the performance of these things. The top end pulling and the cornering! It makes me not want to wait til the spring til i get my engine so I started to to search for one in my area I could testdrive. I found one at a local dealer in pretty good shape with 115k on it.

All I have to say is I will not be able to drive mine everyday. my licence will be revoked in no time. That thing got up to 100mph in no time.(all i could do with the dealer rideng with me). I thought you guys were just loving your cars like honda drivers love their cars like there the best also. I was wrong, these things are rediculous!

Can't wait to join the boost addiction.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:18 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich, do a search on the old posts before you start talking about a conversion. This topic has been done to death.

If you want a 951, general opinion is that the cheapest way to do it is to buy one.

(disclaimer: shops who do conversions may not agree.)
Old 11-17-2003, 06:05 PM
rich k
Advanced

Yea I know I was gona say something about that in my post but elected against.

I've done more research than one would care to know on this subject and have never realy been told that it is imposible, just costly money and time wise.

This doesnt bother me because i would rather do it myself than just buy the power. Second I was given a 944 for free so the conversion will cost me about the same as a 951. Whether it costs more or not is not as important to me as knowing my car inside and out with all the little costom jimmy rigs.

But anyway I've test driven a lot of cars for fun and this one tops all !!!
Old 11-17-2003, 06:13 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend parting the NA out, and using the money towards buying a 951. You will get to know the car that way, and it will cost you much less to buy a proper 951.

Learning to whistle is NOT easy, it involves a LOT more than just the engine, and by the time you put everything in there properly, you will have spent more than the value of a good 951.

There is nothing wrong with "buying power" once you get the Turbo, you will have plenty of possibilities to add more power yourself.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:27 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Fix the NA with a used NA engine and get to know the car. It will pay off when you buy a 951 next year.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:31 PM
TYebolive
Intermediate

Go for it man. Sounds like you know what you are getting into, and seem to have the resources and motivation to get it done. It might not be "the best" way to do it, but have a blast and let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:00 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

I converted and it's no big deal (mechanically)....meaning the NA still handles great with the turbo engine, but with BOOST. In my opinion you don't need all the parts of a 951 to make a NA conversion a great car. Plus the the look of a 951 owner when you pull up next to them and pull away is worth 1000 words! Gotta Love IT!!!

You're right, dollar for dollar the conversion is a good approach once you own the car you know...why go with the unnecessary expense of buying a 951 you don't know.

Trending Topics

Old 11-17-2003, 11:03 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Additionally, most 951 owners have never driven a NA so they don't know how great they handle as is. Adding the turbo didn't change the dynamics of the car. It STILL handles great!
Old 11-17-2003, 11:07 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by David Ray
Additionally, most 951 owners have never driven a NA so they don't know how great they handle as is. Adding the turbo didn't change the dynamics of the car. It STILL handles great!
I've driven both. I think the BIGGEST issue is that of the brakes. I don't own a 951, but with great speed comes the need to slow down. (I know it sounds kinda odd...slowing down) it's necessary.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:16 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

How about upgrading the brake pads to Pagid or C-Tech? Didn't have to change the brake system to make the car stop.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:17 AM
rich k
Advanced

I have goten feedback like this in previous posts about converting and some members were advising me on all the upgrades to 951 spec I will need such as brakes, suspension, tranny ect. After research I have come to the idea tht these things are not needed and the n/a setup is sufficant but not optimal.

I will be upgrading everything in the long run to aftermarket rather than just 951 spec and I can do this at my leasure and when my pockets allow. In the meantime I have a rocket that I just have to be carful taking that bend at 100mph and then stoping quickly for the pedestrians.

I appreciate the support though. First support of this crazy idea I've seen.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:24 PM
kinda5150
Racer

what exactly is wrong with the old engine? and would you wanna give it away for experimental purposes?
Old 11-18-2003, 12:50 PM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2003, 01:10 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Putting a 951 Engine in an NA is certainly doable. It has been done by a few on this board.

Unfortauntly it is rarely cost effective to do. That is the reason most people balk at the prospects. If you are ok with the fact that it will take some time and money to do it then you can get it done. I have done enough work on my 944 NA race car to know that all kinds of swaps are possible it is just mater of time and money. Few what you can call "cost effective", but depending on your desires they can be great fun or a just a big pain.

I believe the 85.5 and later cars use the same tub as 951 so if you get all the right parts you can make a NA in to turbo. It will far cheaper to buy a 951, but if you do it yourself you will have knowledge of the car few will other have. My race car is mix of early 944 parts and 924S parts. This was done because of my access to a 924S parts car.

Probably the best way to do the swap is to have access to a wrecked 951 and solid 944 tub. Then you can graft most parts from one to the other. There will be alot of Little things that will be much easier to do when you have those on a parts car.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:22 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

if you took a job at mickeydees and saved the money you earned, you would be able to buy a clean car sooner than if you did the work yourself.

the downside is it would be that much sooner that you take the rocket at 100 mph into a fixed object instead of a pedestrian.

"In the meantime I have a rocket that I just have to be carful taking that bend at 100mph and then stoping quickly for the pedestrians"

Quick Reply: I'm impressed!