Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good 1st Porsche???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003 | 10:58 AM
tennisbumbishop
Track Day

Question Good 1st Porsche???

All my life (I'm currently 36) I've wanted to own a Porsche. Unfortunately I've never had the funds to purchase one.....and still don't, but I figure if I'm going to go in debt, I might as well be driving a Porsche to get there.

I never really checked into the prices of older Porsches so I'm not sure what some of the older models are selling for these days (in the Eastern USA).

If I want to stay under $7000 or so, is there a Porsche in that price range that I would actually enjoy having (ie: not a run down piece of junk that I'll get frustrated owning because of problems that may arrise)?

If so, what years and models should I be looking at?

Is there anything a lot cheaper than that, that would be a joy to drive?

Thanks for any help or advice with this.

TBB
Old 11-13-2003 | 11:11 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

look for a very clean 944 NA (normally aspirated). mileage is not so much of a concern as repairs are. the repairs (maintenance) recently performed is directly linked to value.

look for original paint since the cars were rustproofed at the factory. service records are a big big plus.

most importantly, check out the frequently asked questions FAQ. and get a PPI pre purchase inspection. there are a lot of hidden problems with these buggers. also, dont hesitate to use the search function or ask questions.

just dont get pissed if a bunch of us tell you that you are nuts to consider buying the lemon you are looking at. many on this board have been down the frustrating road, and are trying to keep others from valve jobs with $80 valves, $1200 clutches, etc.
Old 11-13-2003 | 11:19 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Tom makes some good points.

I'll add to it:

Get a 85.5 or later (this is debatable by many on here, but the post-85 cars have better ventilation and a better seating position, among many other niceties)

Set aside $2K for any future issues, unless you are fairly mechanically inclined.

Proper pricing on these cars varies with location, so take what posters on this forum tell you with a grain of salt. A car that they say is only worth $4k where they live, due to demand or location, may be worth more or less where you live.

Good luck!

Tifo
Old 11-13-2003 | 11:22 AM
tennisbumbishop
Track Day

Tom R.

Thank you for your response. Being new to the used Porsche hunt, I'm sure I'll ask plenty of (what knowledgable people here) stupid questions, but it's good to know that people here are willing to help.

About what year 944NA would I be looking at in that price range?

Thanks again for your help.

TBB
Old 11-13-2003 | 11:46 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

A good '86 or '87 944 N/A should be available in that price range.

Stay away from the $2500 "fixer-upper". Just speaking from experience about my first one.

Even if you think you're not mechanically inclined, there's a lot of experience and willingness to help on this board. Had I known about this board way-back-when, I could have saved tons of money.
Old 11-13-2003 | 12:37 PM
odie
Instructor

a 924 with the audi? engine might be a good choice. very inexpensive and probably much simpiler and cheaper engine to work on.
Old 11-13-2003 | 12:59 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I disagree with Odie. Stay away from the pre 83 924s. Not enogh power, not reliable enough. The 944 was an improvement in many ways.

in 1985 the interior was redesigned. that is why there are 1985 and 1985.5 cars. the 1985.5 and 1986 cars are pretty identical. in 1986 the control arms were changed, and the offset of the wheels changed.

You wont notice much difference in ride between the years. The price difference between the years is negligible. Condition and new parts make the price, not the year.
Old 11-13-2003 | 01:07 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

924S!!!
Old 11-13-2003 | 01:39 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

924S for an intro if you don't want to spend the big $$.
Old 11-13-2003 | 01:40 PM
odie
Instructor

don't know anything about the 924. I just figured the audi engine was built in greater quantities and less complex. Mechanical simplicity availability of affordable parts are a great virtue in a first car.
Old 11-13-2003 | 01:46 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thats why i said stay away from pre 83 924.
Old 11-13-2003 | 02:05 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by jabbadeznuts
924S for an intro if you don't want to spend the big $$.
jabbadeznuts, You killed Kenny!!!

It all depends on what you want to do with it, i.e. Daily driver, garage queen, investment...

Hmmm... under 7000...

I second the 924S - its faster than and 8V NA 944. They are less expensive initially than a same-year 944, and in a few years will be worth more than a 944 NA due to the lower production numbers. Late Offset wheels.

87 or later 944.. Late Offset wheels.

86 951. They made a TON of 86's, and they are quite plentiful

Beware of "bargains" , and make damn sure You are the mechanic on any choice, the current Porsche labor rates would eat up 7 grand in a week.

The early 924 series would be great for a project- buy one for 1000, and pour 6 grand and all your time into it. Not my recommended choice for a newbie.
Old 11-13-2003 | 02:26 PM
tennisbumbishop
Track Day

Chris_924S,

It will probably be a "drive to work" type car - only about 6 miles round trip. With the family (wife and daughter) , I'll probably stick with my Accord.

FYI: I am NOT mechanically smart.

Thanks for the advice.

TBB
Old 11-13-2003 | 02:45 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

phew, not mechanically inclined kinda kills the deal with Porsches.. unless you're willing to learn. These cars NEED attention, and if you don't provide it (either by doing it yourself, or paying someone else) it'll quickly slip from reliable and fun to unreliable, expensive and a drain. In the past year I spent about $500 in maintenance (stuff I couldn't do because I don't have the tools and couldn't get them), that number would have been closer to $3000 if I would have gone to a shop for everything.

You have to pay for these cars... when buying them you either pay up front for a great car or pay with your time looking for the right car. When owning them you either pay up front at the service shop or pay with your time by learning how to do the work. They CAN be bought and owned for very little money. For your situation, if you're willing to learn, take your budge and buy the best 944 you can find. Best being qualified by records for at least the past few years (more than 30k miles), proof that the timing belt, water pump and seals have been replaced within the past few miles, a clutch replaced within 10k miles. If the car's over 100k, ball joints and wheel bearing replaced and physically in good shape. If you start with as close to a perfect car as possible, you'll only have to learn things over time as maintenance comes due. Start out changing your own oil, maybe reaplce the fuel filter yourself. Inspect the brakes and flush the coolant. All small things that'll get you working on the car in spots that almost impossible to screw up and guaranteed to build your confidence as well as getting you famaliar with the vehicle.

Best of luck whatever you decide
Old 11-13-2003 | 02:49 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

TBB- We all start in this world crying and covered in goop.
Most of us here at Rennlist just seem to like staying that way.

Most of what I have learned about watercooled porsche - I have learned here. It's my safety net. Dont be afraid- just get a PPI, search the FAQ's on purchase- check out www.clarks-garage.com and prepare yourself. Most of the pitfalls are listed and widely known. Pick a species (AIR OR WATER) and learn as much as you can before taking that leap.

BTW- youre gonna love those twisty roads.

Quick Reply: Good 1st Porsche???