Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 Dreams.... A rennlist story!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 05:56 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

I think Ian has one exhaust side shield left. I installed pop rivets at the broken spot welds.

Boost=trouble for me. Too much temptation.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:33 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

So tonight, discovered the passenger side light doesn't want to go all the way down. It wasn't doing this yesterday, but both times tonight it hung up about 2 inches from closed. Seems the second time it was harder to close manually than the first time.

It's SEEMS it's moving to the left each time I use them. I'll have to tear into it this week and see if I can figure out why.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:58 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Two things about your lights closing:

--- Make sure you are 'catching' the small bracket on back on your coil wire. Often the wire is wrongly positioned and will become abraded or actually catch the light as it retracts.

--- Make sure your relay is clean at the contacts. When you pull it from the rubber boot it's housed in, look for a black spot on the relay contacts. Simply clean and try, OR if bad, replace that relay
Old 04-20-2017, 03:22 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Two things about your lights closing:

--- Make sure you are 'catching' the small bracket on back on your coil wire. Often the wire is wrongly positioned and will become abraded or actually catch the light as it retracts.

--- Make sure your relay is clean at the contacts. When you pull it from the rubber boot it's housed in, look for a black spot on the relay contacts. Simply clean and try, OR if bad, replace that relay
Going to check it out tomorrow. One funny thing, I noticed the left light moved over it seems as the day wore on. In my first pics it was more over to the right, 6 hours into the drive it seems it had moved to the left a bit. This was without them even opened.

It appears it's moving left due to vibration. Weird. I'll look into it more tomorrow.

As expected, my laundry list is growing. Charlie had told me it had a popping noise when turning left. Turns out it happens turning right a little bit too. It's weird, you can't feel it in the steering wheel. I was assuming it was something in the steering, but the steering is as tight as could be, and when it pops you can feel it in the floorboards, but not the wheel. At all. I was thinking it was maybe the M030 sways binding, but now I don't think so. It only happens when turning, and only at low speed. It seems to me that it's something in the suspension not related to steering. I think it sometimes does it lightly even going straight if the suspension is moving a lot. More investigation need.

Also, the turn signals don't auto cancel. It does have the Momo wheel installed currently, but it seems the ring is installed. You can feel and hear the cancel click, it just never cancels it on left turns, and rarely on right turns. I'll look more into that when I do the dash lights and OD gear.

The central locking sounds like it's working, but the locks don't move.

The rear hatch release makes noise, and I know it works to release, cause the PO left the keys in the hatch and we used it to get them. But he was back there pulling on it when I pushed the button. But I've discovered when you do it without someone pulling it up, it doesn't "pop" up. It's still latched once the motor stops. Gotta figure that out.

Rear defrost isn't hooked up. The rear hatch shocks he got didn't have the tabs to hook it into, gotta figure out something there.

Got a small exhaust leak, I can hear it. Plus I have the famous "turbo exhaust" smell when the windows or sunroof are cracked. Gets worse under boost. But I've seen lots of threads about that, and it's rarely solved.

Interval wipers worked at first, then stopped. Now no matter what you do with the wheel, it's like they are on slow. Think I'll take the switch out and clean it. Got lots of practice on cleaning switches on the 87.

Got to run down some oil leaks. He said all he noticed was the gasket on the rear of the cam tower. Imagine that. But I think now it's also leaking elsewhere as well. To be fair I've driven it more in the last few days than he did in the last year.

All told, with all the upgrades and work he did, overall condition, and price. I'm very happy! It will be a long and slow restore, but well worth it! I'm not complaining, just documenting the experience!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:52 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Your 951 is a really NICE ride. WOW!

You deserve the best brother!

My momo adapter never cancelled the signal either even through the adapter has a "catch" or finger for tripping. Yeah, it's annoying. It's odd. I have a solution to make my own in about a month (will document).

I agree the popping probably is rear of the steering. Factory rear sway bar links or aftermarket? My aftermarket s/b link (the heim joint style with no rubber came loose & made noise), but I'm inclined to suspect radial play in your cv joints.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:31 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Your 951 is a really NICE ride. WOW!

You deserve the best brother!

My momo adapter never cancelled the signal either even through the adapter has a "catch" or finger for tripping. Yeah, it's annoying. It's odd. I have a solution to make my own in about a month (will document).

I agree the popping probably is rear of the steering. Factory rear sway bar links or aftermarket? My aftermarket s/b link (the heim joint style with no rubber came loose & made noise), but I'm inclined to suspect radial play in your cv joints.
Thanks Noah! I just hope I can give her as much love and attention as you give Wilson!

The pop seems to be in the front, but not in the steering. Going to investigate soon.

In steering news, yesterday it started being weird. It was jerky and made a jerky whining noise when turning while going 10 mph or less. It was fine the whole trip, and for the first 75-100 miles yesterday. Started right before I got home. Today it started out doing it, so I checked it when I got gas. It's constant now. I figured fluid was low. It wasn't, it's full! So I'm praying the belt has just become loose. The belts are newish. That might be it. Otherwise it's the pump I'm guessing. Weird that it just happens to start out of the blue like that, on day 3 of ownership. But I guess everything has to start sometime.

I figured out why the left light wasn't closing. The windshield washer pump (or headlight pump, I didn't trace the hoses) had come loose and was getting in the way. I figured out where it mounted and how to lock it in the mount. So that's sorted.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:46 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

I've now had my first total WTF moment on this 951.

I get it home and try to put it up on ramps to check out the power steering belt, but my ramps just slide forward so that's a no go. I have to jack it up THEN slide the ramps under there. Annoying but whatever. I do notice it does the POP I've been hearing as soon as I start jacking the drivers side. Hmmm... So it's not steering... But that's another story and another reply.

So I get it up, throw my creeper on the floor and take a look. Instantly I can tell the power steering belt is just hanging. I grab it and it moves several inches. I start looking and realize the bolt that attaches the pump to the adjuster arm is totally gone. We'll that's weird. Not broken but missing!!!

Ohhhh kkkkk. So I start trying to figure out how I'm going to find out that size the missing bolt is. First I think maybe it's the same bolt as the other one holding the adjustment bracket to the pump (it's not) when I try and take that other bolt off I'm thinking the pump it's just way too loose. How's it mounted to the block?

Turns out, it's not. I can't tell exactly what's wrong yet, but craps missing. I'm sitting under the car thinking to myself how the hell I'm going to figure out what's missing, when it hits me. IDIOT, there is a 87 sitting 5 feet from you, and it's already on jack stands even. So I roll over and discover all this is totally missing from my 86....

I mean WTF???????

I don't mean broken, I mean totally missing altogether!!! I can't even...... WTF????

Anyway, I found out why my power steering was making noise and not working. It was pretty much hanging from the lines. So I scavenged from the 87, and have a thread looking for replacements.

So now the 87 has become a parts car..... That was not the plan! Sigh.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:10 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cut an angle on the end of a couple 2x6's and roll up on those before the ramps. They'll keep the spoiler from hitting the ramps.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:12 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Okay, so that was the cause of the steering weirdness, but has the pop con away? If the pop happens when you hit a dip in the road, it might be a strut. That's one of the signs.

But before assuming it's the strut, you might wanna jack up the front end & wiggle the front wheels with both arms on varies angles to check for wear of components or loose wheel bearings (if you haven't already).
Old 04-20-2017, 09:59 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Annnnnnndddddd a second WTF moment today....

You likely can't see it, but that exhaust stud on the far side of #4???? The reason you can't see it is because it's not there! Yep no nut, no stud. I'm now starting a pool on if it's stripped or not. Who wants a peice of the action?????

Looks like I've found my exhaust leak however. Was hard to see from on top, why I didn't catch it by now. But from under the car? It's screams "look at me".

Sigh...

Oh well, I'll find out if it's stripped tomorrow. I've got the old ones from the 87 laying around...
Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by snb13
Cut an angle on the end of a couple 2x6's and roll up on those before the ramps. They'll keep the spoiler from hitting the ramps.
It wasn't that, my garage floor is so slick they​ just slide forward. I've had this issue before. I give Walmart ramps 2 stars.

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Okay, so that was the cause of the steering weirdness, but has the pop con away? If the pop happens when you hit a dip in the road, it might be a strut. That's one of the signs.

But before assuming it's the strut, you might wanna jack up the front end & wiggle the front wheels with both arms on varies angles to check for wear of components or loose wheel bearings (if you haven't already).
I'm thinking the M030 sways are binding. I forgot to take pics, but I'll try to get some tomorrow and post up! One of the bushings are just destroyed, and they don't have many miles on them!!!
Old 04-20-2017, 10:13 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Dreams
It wasn't that, my garage floor is so slick they​ just slide forward. I've had this issue before. I give Walmart ramps 2 stars.
Place the ramps on some cheap thin rubber mats, $8/pr from HF cha cha cha.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:22 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Check out a seller called "djia" on eBay. He sells Ricochet poly bushings for all sorts of cars including ours. Great upgrade and they last longer than stock bushings. You can also get poly steering rack bushings which are a nice upgrade.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:36 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Place the ramps on some cheap thin rubber mats, $8/pr from HF cha cha cha.
Thanks for the tip. I've been needing an excuse to go to HF anyway!

Originally Posted by odonnell
Check out a seller called "djia" on eBay. He sells Ricochet poly bushings for all sorts of cars including ours. Great upgrade and they last longer than stock bushings. You can also get poly steering rack bushings which are a nice upgrade.
Awesome, I had looked at energy suspension and was surprised there was nothing to really find. I had found a place in the UK, but their site kinda sucked. Glad I've got a lead now.

Latest update: the popping seems to have stopped. I went and picked up food for the family, and it didn't pop once! I don't see how that popping could have been related to the power steering pump. And it was working till just yesterday, but the popping had been going on for awhile. The only other explanation I can come up with is that jacking it up on the drivers side high enough to get on the ramps may have gotten something back in place. I'm not expecting this to last.

I also verified most of my rattles at idle were the oil filter heat shield and the starter heat shield. I put rags behind them and started it up. It was strange to hear it running for once. Normally all I hear is rattles. Driving at certain RPMs it still has a rattle somewhere, idle was great. I'm thinking I'll steal the 87s for now, and try and get the 86s welded. Or find new ones.

Once I get those fixed, I can work on finding the last rattle, if it isn't still just one of those.

Also I found out that the issue with the hatch is the support arms he used. They are about 1/2 the size of the ones on my correctly working 87. All they can really do is hold it up once it's open. The ones on the 87 pop the hatch open, and will raise it once you get it up a few more inches. So those will be swapped, and new ones will be found for the 87. Got to figure out how to get the good ones!

It's nice having two! But the poor 87 is getting canablized!
Old 04-21-2017, 12:48 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Get some from a Jeep Wrangler ('87-95), they are a direct match. They're a little weaker than stock which is ok, that's less stress on the assembly. You lose the rear cubby light in the hatch, or something like that.

Quick Reply: 951 Dreams.... A rennlist story!