Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 Dreams.... A rennlist story!

Old 03-23-2017, 01:37 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 951 Dreams.... A rennlist story!

Instead of having a bunch of different threads about this journey I'm just going to try to keep most of the basic "fluff" stuff here.

One thing I do want to say. I had a whole story written up about this, then decided no one wanted to read that wall of text. Basically, even though I have had a love for these cars since I was young, the reason I'm a current 944 (and soon to be 951) owner is because of the people reading this right now. Once I found this community I knew I had to become an owner! Now I'm getting ready to own two! (A low count around here I know, I'm working on it )

So, the low down is I'm working on purchasing a 86 951. It's showing 84K on the clock, but the OD broke about 4 years ago. The current owner seems to be a very honest guy, and swears he's only put about 5k on it since he bought it. It was a weekend car he just drove around local.

The original owner died, and it sat in his widows garage for 2 years. A mutual family friend bought it, then the current owner bought it. He's had it the last 4 years. Unfortunately the widow didn't know where her late husband kept the history, or where the Air compressor went. But the current owner has documented all he's done. That includes:

New A/C compressor and conversion to 134A
New belts about 7 months ago (and 3.5 years go)
Koni adjustable sport shocks
New Tires
Lindsey front and rear sways
New fuel injectors
New vacuum lines
Momo Stearing wheel
New CV joints
Repacked front bearings

That's what I know right now, he knows there are things he's forgetting.

A fellow rennlister, who I would consider something of an expert (11 Porches under his belt!!) is taking a look at if for me this weekend. Then more or less it's figuring out payment and shipping, then it's mine!!!

I'll have (and share) a lot more details once I have it in my garage. But in the mean time, I'll share this:

Old 03-23-2017, 01:54 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Congrats! Buying a 951 seems to be the natural progression after owning an NA for a while. It's nice to have both, they're actually very different cars (especially early NA vs modified 951)
Old 03-23-2017, 02:07 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odonnell
Congrats! Buying a 951 seems to be the natural progression after owning an NA for a while. It's nice to have both, they're actually very different cars (especially early NA vs modified 951)
I agree, my next will be an early pre 85.2. Then maybe a S, S2 or S Turbo.... Or *gasp* maybe even a 911!!

Well, that's kinda a lie, likely my VERY NEXT will be a Cayenne. But that's for the family/Misses.... so that's another story...

If Porsche made a 7 seat.. anything... with 1/2 towing capacity... I'd be in heaven.

BTW odonnell... I'm sad to say those parts you sent me are still in the boxes!! But the good news is I'm getting ready to buy the seals kit for the oil cooler today, and the rebuild is going to start once it gets in. So very soon those parts are going to go to good use!!
Old 03-25-2017, 09:08 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

So, Charles, a veteran of 8.. yes EIGHT 944's, several of them 951's and the current one a 88 Turbo S, went and looked at the car for me today. It was all green lights and positive input. So that means I'll be booking a flight in Mid April and flying down to pick it up. Unless something weird happens in the next few weeks, this is a done deal.

Funny story. Charles has a beautiful red 88 Turbo S. While they were sitting in the parking lot of (Jacks??? Some Alabama version of McDonald) Some guy in a pickup stopped and jumped out, asked the seller what year it was, and snapped some pics. Then jumped back into his pickup and left. He never even asked about the 88 S. The seller, Charles, some random redneck, and myself all agree that Zermatt Silver Metalic with black fuchs is the bomb.

To say I'm getting excited is an understatement! I'm just hoping something doesn't come along and hink up our deal!
Old 03-25-2017, 09:20 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Time for some fluff

I haven't seen original seats looking that good very often. Going to have to keep them conditioned!

Good aged leather!

This is why he's selling. This is his new toy.

His brothers former car and the 951. His brother has since sold it and now has a Z06.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:19 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Those seats are part of the I-code; heavy bolstered Sport Seats in a Sport Touring pkg. 951 !!!

Are the Sport Seats leather on the backside of the seat as well ? How about the rear seats.... leather or vinyl ?

Oh, and the Sport Steering wheel is missing..... it should be a 4 spoke unit. I would attempt to see if the original owner has it hidden away some where. It as well, was part of the I code Sport Touring Pkg.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:29 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Dreams
or where the Air compressor went...
If I squint, hold my breath and sort of bunch up my toes, I think I can remember what happened to mine:

- I had a flat.

- I tried to use the compressor

- It didn't work

- I tossed it in the trash and bought something at K-Mart that fit inside the spare

No idea where the original is. My guess is a landfill somewhere in CA.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:14 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Tells me wrong file or format on all pictures I try to upload, even ones I uploaded yesterday, but it looks standard 944 to me. Do you have a picture of the one your thinking of?
Old 03-27-2017, 12:20 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Don't think there is anything special here...
Here's the stock wheel, let me post it today. I don't think this is the wheel your thinking of MGJ.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:29 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

YES it is !

The optional 4 spoke leather Sport Steering wheel.
One paid extra to get this wheel. I have them in all my 944s except one. They are GREAT for holding your hands precisely at either 10 and 4 or 9 and 3.

GREAT news that you have it. It completes the package of the Sport Touring Group option you have in the I-code grouping. And, it looks to be in stellar shape as well !
Old 03-28-2017, 12:34 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Added note:

If you notice, the center horn push pad is leather coated as well, and the earlier cars did not have this. They were solid vinyl. Be very careful with the springs and surrounding plastic attachment hdwe. in the pad as they are easily damaged and won't hold the pad correctly to the wheel. Sun and cold really does a number on aging the plastic and many of these mounts get broken when removed or replaced
Old 03-28-2017, 12:43 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
If I squint, hold my breath and sort of bunch up my toes, I think I can remember what happened to mine:

- I had a flat.

- I tried to use the compressor

- It didn't work

- I tossed it in the trash and bought something at K-Mart that fit inside the spare

No idea where the original is. My guess is a landfill somewhere in CA.
The reason most of these compressors fail to work is the fuse gets blown and no longer allows the voltage to pass thru the cigar lighter into the cord via the small connector/plug in.

These compressors with their original box and paperwork are known to run upwards of 500 bucks for nice, pristine units. They are RARE in today's world. In fact I know of one fellow who paid around 800 for his because it was perfectly new and he needed one for Concours competition judging.

The second series 2 units in the plastic cases are easier to source and an entirely different compressor. They are not correct for the series one car in fitment or originality, but will work well if one is not concerned with that. Be aware there are also small devices inside the case for blowing up beach *****, etc. and need to be present as well for a complete unit.

Likewise, the series one compressor did NOT have a built in gauge for pressure read out, so Porsche placed a small black and chrome VDO tire gauge in a black vinyl pouch in the glove box. Today, these are also nearly always missing along with the compressor and cardboard box.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:50 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
YES it is !

The optional 4 spoke leather Sport Steering wheel.
One paid extra to get this wheel. I have them in all my 944s except one. They are GREAT for holding your hands precisely at either 10 and 4 or 9 and 3.

GREAT news that you have it. It completes the package of the Sport Touring Group option you have in the I-code grouping. And, it looks to be in stellar shape as well !
Dang, well ok! I have this wheel on my base 87, so I had just assumed it was the "stock" 944 steering wheel. Didn't realize I had anything "special". But now that you mention it, I may have had an option code for a steering wheel on the 87. I'll have to re-look it up.

As always, THANKS MGJ. Once I have her in my possession I'll try and document all the options she has.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:35 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Well, flight booked today. I should have her home and tucked snugly into my garage by the 17th!
Old 03-28-2017, 07:48 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

The only difference between the standard steering wheel and the "sport wheel" is that the optional wheel has a raised hub. This is visible only from the back and side. The wheel shown is probably the correct wheel, but can not be certain from the front.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 951 Dreams.... A rennlist story!