Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 Dreams.... A rennlist story!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 12:00 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Well, I'm about 98% sure my popping noise is my ball joints. Looks like the rennbay kits in my very near future. Darn it, I gotta stop on the 951 and get back to getting the 87 back together!!!!

The PO did mention they said something about the ball joints when he had it as aligned. But he said they told him they were ok for awhile. I think that while has passed.

I also was going to mess with the headlights "a little". Just wanted to get them sitting more even when closed. It became a 6 hour ordeal, involving the complete dissembly of the passenger side light and removal of the nose panel. End result was.... It's better... But my OCD is still not happy yet. I need the passenger light to go over a bit still, and it needs to close another mm or 2. But I'm out of bracket moment. I may have to remove the bracket that controls vertical position and cut bigger notches in it for adjustment. I've also wondered if putting washers under it might help, but I'm not sure if that would be going the right direction.

And now I've got to adjust the hood, since I've messed with the lights. Sigh..... Now I know why the body shop guy told me they hate cars with flip up lights!!!!

I've fixed little things here and there. Bled/burped the coolant. Nothing worth talking about really. More stuff coming this week I'll report on.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:43 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

So, had another WTH moment on this 951. When I was messing with the headlights the other day, I was absent mindedly moving stuff out of the way. I got​ ahold of a wire and it occurred to me that that wire was in very poor shape. So I shifted my attention to it, cause I wanted to see where it went.

...... It was my plug wire for #1...... I hadn't noticed because it was black and hiding down under all the nice, shiny, new red wires going to the other plugs and the coil. Well, that's​ weird I thought. I remember him telling me he had done them...

So just dug through the paperwork. Yep, 2013. New wires, cap, rotor, and plugs....

So why leave just one undone???? Since he replaced the cap, I just can't see how he could have damaged the new one and had to go back to the original.

So it looks like new wires are on the list now. I'll likely do the cap and rotor again too. And new plugs. Just to zero time the whole system again. POs always make me just scratch my head. I mean whatever, but...

Old 05-18-2017, 11:29 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Dreams
I got into a 45 min conversation the other day with a guy... LOL The Misses was not pleased.
It's just payback for all the times stuck on a bench at the front of a store while she buys shoes and clothes
Old 05-26-2017, 12:33 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

I keep finding PO "enhancements" all over this car! When I was adding the Lindsay Boost Enhancer I found this:

And this:

Yes, that's wire, twisted up and used as hose clamps.........

I mean yeah.... it worked....but really??!?!?!? Based on how rusted it was, this was done long ago.... Everywhere I go, I'm finding things like this! I'm finding crazy mis-matched screws and bolts all over the place!

I also got my power locks, locking. And got my audio all in order. Everything I take apart I'm finding new things that need fixin. Doing my locks I found my door shock/stop had come loose inside the door. Seems one of the bolts had fallen out, and the other had pulled through it's hole. Then from years of hitting the door when full opened, the bolt had flared out it's hole. Headed to Lowes and picked up some hardware, got it kinda fixed. But to get it right I'm going to have to pull the door. No room to beat the flared metal back into place between the door and body. That will be for another day. I had always wondered why the door swung open so easy and wouldn't hold open at all! LOL

Next up is ball joints, then getting the exhaust all sorted. Phew, but time to take a break!
Old 05-26-2017, 12:55 AM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing worth talking about really.
When has that ever stopped you.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:59 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neunfünfeins
When has that ever stopped you.

True that. Have opinion, will share!!

I have this bad tendency to be wordy.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:54 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

So, did up a spreadsheet. Not sure if it's good or bad, but it is what it is.

PO total of all receipts I could find since 2013: $5,796.75
My total since 4/2017: $869.20
Total for car, purchase price with all receipts: $13,665.95

Course, that's only the history for the last 4 years. No history before that time. And I don't have receipts for all the PO did. A good part of it was gifts from his brother, for any of that he didn't have receipts. I did however go and price those things (LR MO30 sways, Koni Sport shocks, Shift kits and all linkages) I do know where he got the stuff. So, in short, last four years this car has "cost" $6,665.95.

I'll post back in 5 years! LOL
Old 06-04-2017, 04:35 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

The turbo monologues continue....

I just can't get over how much I LOVE this car. It's now solidly the most fun car I've ever owned! And I've owned lots. It's just the whole package. I can't believe I messed around with that other stuff!! So much 951 time wasted!! LOL

I did start looking into my "warm air" out some of the vents issue. I knew my clips and rods were good inside, so I attacked the heater control valve. Turned out to be harder to test than I though. There isn't a lot of vacuum there anyway, and the connections were so aged that the hoses just kept falling out every time I tried any testing. I finally realized the valve was not seated in the "clips" correctly. Thought that was my problem, but alas, no so easy.

So I just order 10' of silicone vacuum lines and a new HCV. I'll just replace it all and then figure it out. It's never a bad idea to replace the HCV anyway, just to be on the safe side.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:50 AM
yoramw
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The turbo monologues continue....

I just can't get over how much I LOVE this car. It's now solidly the most fun car I've ever owned! And I've owned lots. It's just the whole package. I can't believe I messed around with that other stuff!! So much 951 time wasted!! LOL

I did start looking into my "warm air" out some of the vents issue. I knew my clips and rods were good inside, so I attacked the heater control valve. Turned out to be harder to test than I though. There isn't a lot of vacuum there anyway, and the connections were so aged that the hoses just kept falling out every time I tried any testing. I finally realized the valve was not seated in the "clips" correctly. Thought that was my problem, but alas, no so easy.

So I just order 10' of silicone vacuum lines and a new HCV. I'll just replace it all and then figure it out. It's never a bad idea to replace the HCV anyway, just to be on the safe side.
You expressed exactly how I feel about my car too... Just love it so much...

BTW
I am also troubleshooting heating problem. For me it is about heat starting intermittently.
I already did 90% of my vacuum lines, replaced my HCV, replaced my AC control unit and tested the solenoid that controls the HCV.
I will be watching your thread to see if I can get any additional ideas...

Last edited by yoramw; 06-04-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:17 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yoramw
You expressed exactly how I feel about my car too... Just love it so much...

BTW
I am also troubleshooting heating problem. For me it is about heat starting intermittently.
I already did 90% of my vacuum lines, replaced my HCV, replaced my AC control unit and tested the solenoid that controls the HCV.
I will be watching your thread to see if I can get any additional ideas...
At this point, I'm honestly thinking my HCV diaphragm is just shot. Before I got the arm/actuator part back in the clip holdy part I could notice just a tiny amount of movement then I plugged and unplugged vacuum to it. So I knew it was getting SOME vacuum. Moved about 1mm or so. I finally gave up after about the 5th time the hard hoses pulled out of the rubber boots back there. All the rubber boots to hard hose connections were so loose I wasn't going to keep trying to trouble shoot until I at least knew I was getting good vacuum to the system.

I only had about 1 foot of good red silicone vacuum hose left that was small enough ID for these connections, so I ordered up 10' more and will redo all the HVAC vacuum hoses now. For fun, all the HVAC stuff is going to be blue, while I'll keep the existing red for all the engine stuff. Makes it easy to see what's part of what system at a glance.

Once I'm sure I'm getting correct and solid vacuum to the HVAC system, I'll restart my trouble shooting with the new HCV installed. I'll report back once I'm done. Should be later this week.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:16 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Have you checked to see if your air mixing servo is moving when you adjust the temperature on the ****? My mixer motor went bad and did the same thing recently.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:28 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Have you checked to see if your air mixing servo is moving when you adjust the temperature on the ****? My mixer motor went bad and did the same thing recently.
If you mean the servo/arm that moves the mix flap, then yes, I did, and it's working. I had an issue where I was getting no air flow from the footwell vents. Turned out the plug for that servo was just not plugged in for some unknown reason. But I checked for full movement of all flaps/rods/servos at that time.

If you mean the one that controls vacuum to the HCV, then no. I haven't checked it yet. After the condition I found the hoses/connections in I decided I needed to get all that straight before I looking into iy farther. No point chasing my tail if the HCV or lines are bad. If I still get no movement of the HCV after all that, I'll dig into what's going on vacuum wise under the dash.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:53 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I meant the mixer servo. It is rare that they fail, but it sounds like you ruled that out.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:15 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Beware, fluff ahead...

Old 06-10-2017, 02:29 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

So, replaced what seemed to be the original​ heater control valve today. Good thing too, it was in really sorry shape.

Here's the thread on my adventures with it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...l#post14246397

In other news, my POS POA has decided they are tired of my car collection. So until I can get the 87 back up and running, the 951 has been displaced from the garage!!!!

I'm very, very unhappy, but I guess I'll take it as motivation to get the 87 finished! I might be able to get it back in if I fix the emergency brake of the Mrs van, but then I'll have to play the pull one​ car out in the road , pull the 951 out in the road, put the other car back, then repeat when returning, game. I don't really want to do that every day.

I'll just have to step up the 87 repairs. Stupid POA.

Quick Reply: 951 Dreams.... A rennlist story!