Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need an engine shop to do an overbore - SE Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 08:52 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Need an engine shop to do an overbore - SE Michigan

The rings I got from Pelican have damaged at least one of my cylinder bores. Now I need to find a shop that can perform an overbore on my 3.0 l block.

Anyone with knowledge of a good shop that is capable of this? Preferably in southeast Michigan.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:25 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check with Stephen at Autocore in Waterford. He may have a source for you. (248) 722-1662. Crazy good experience with the 944 platform.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:09 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Wisconsin isn't that far from Michigan... http://www.mt-llc.com/
Old 03-14-2017, 11:19 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used "auto parts machine shop & services" in Ann Arbor to machine my flywheel. I haven't had any issues with it. I have a friend with a turbo who had them extract a bolt from his trans. That's the extent to which I've dealt with them though. Also; Van, I've seen your posts on here a bunch but never noticed you were from hyde park. I'm from Rhinebeck. Small world.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:33 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the leads, guys.

Mike - APM is where I go for all of my work. I am not sure if Darrel has the equipment to deal with our "special" blocks. I should probably give them a call and verify. He did check everything over and cleaned up some minor flaws.

In the meantime, I have severely damaged at least bore #4 by installing some very questionable oil rings from Deves. I've never seen oil rings like these before and they were a total disaster. I also damaged the top of the bore on #2. This is going to be a very expensive lesson.

Van - the shop you mention looks to deal primarily in motorcycle engines. Do you have any experience with them? Do they work on car engines, as well? This may be an option if they can restore the bores and not require bigger pistons/rings.

D-man, thanks. Could be another good option.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:41 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

wrong direction and a little far maybe, but 928 motorsports can do Alusil in Horicon, WI
Old 03-15-2017, 09:28 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

US Chrome in Wisconsin?
Old 03-15-2017, 10:43 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
but 928 motorsports can do Alusil in Horicon, WI

If you are talking about Nikasil, Carl preps engines for the coating and takes them somewhere else. He doesn't apply it in-house, nor does he do machine work like boring.

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
US Chrome in Wisconsin?
I'm pretty sure that is where Carl & 928 Motorsports takes his engines.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:49 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehayes
Van, I've seen your posts on here a bunch but never noticed you were from hyde park. I'm from Rhinebeck. Small world.
Cool stuff - let me know if you come back to visit - we'll get together for a beer.

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Thanks for the leads, guys.

Van - the shop you mention looks to deal primarily in motorcycle engines. Do you have any experience with them? Do they work on car engines, as well? This may be an option if they can restore the bores and not require bigger pistons/rings.
No personal experience, but I did talk with them on the phone, and they've done several 944 and 928 blocks. However, they're not going to be able to restore it to the original bore size - they have to remove material to get to a virgin surface for plating.

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
I'm pretty sure that is where Carl & 928 Motorsports takes his engines.
Yes, that's my understanding, too.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:33 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van

No personal experience, but I did talk with them on the phone, and they've done several 944 and 928 blocks. However, they're not going to be able to restore it to the original bore size - they have to remove material to get to a virgin surface for plating.

Right. Would have been too much to expect.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:40 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr

If you are talking about Nikasil, Carl preps engines for the coating and takes them somewhere else. He doesn't apply it in-house, nor does he do machine work like boring.
MY BAD...
Old 03-15-2017, 02:28 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
They did the coating in this engine:
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...-a-veyron.html

Todd has never used them for just boring, but said he would trust them to do so.
However, the last time he talked to them (it's been a while) he thought they would only bore these blocks in preparation for plating. They may not have the equipment necessary for preparing an Alusil block after boring. So if you have she Sunnen equipment to do that yourself, good to go.

Another place in Green Bay that has been around a while:
http://www.barilengine.com/

I thought they had the necessary equipment for boring an alusil block and honing it correctly, don't quote me on that though.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:11 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

The Nikasil plate we do is about .003" thick. That is; if the scoring in your cylinder walls is .003" deep or less, the Nikasil process will restore your bores to original dimension.

Usually, that is not the case, and usually, if the bore is scratched deep or gouged, the pistons are damaged too. So what we have done is we bore the block out .010" or .,020", Nikasil it, order customer forged pistons made (better than the stock cast pistons) and then do the final finish hone to match the new pistons. We provide new rings too that are compatible with the Nikasil.

You might find this page very informative:
https://928motorsports.com/services/uschrome.php
Old 03-15-2017, 05:48 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Carl. That sounds like the answer. I couldn't get the link to work. I'll try tomorrow from work. I'll also try to take some photos of the disaster. There is no way the damage is less than 0.003"

Would you be willing to provide a rough estimate on the cost of the service you described (including the pistons and rings)? PM if you prefer.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:44 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
The rings I got from Pelican have damaged at least one of my cylinder bores. Now I need to find a shop that can perform an overbore on my 3.0 l block.

Anyone with knowledge of a good shop that is capable of this? Preferably in southeast Michigan.
Terribly sorry to hear this mate. It's a fear I have as well, to the point where I consider re-using rings on the alusil bores.

*can you guess or do you know what went wrong?*

Somewhere on the forums a couple years ago I read a "success" story of a 2.5 n/a owner boring only 1 cyl, 1 or 2 sizes larger with no noticeable effect on balance.

Quick Reply: Need an engine shop to do an overbore - SE Michigan