Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need an engine shop to do an overbore - SE Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 03:09 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Pulled one head stud out. It came out surprisingly easy. I figured - oh boy, this might not be so bad.

Tried a few more. Let's just say I got real lucky on the first one.

Broke two waterpump studs off. The others came out. Got no movement on the M8 studs.

I am curious if the studs, removed by 928Motorsport will be returned and also be reusable? I don't think I can go much further beyond what's been removed to this point. It's about time to package it up -- tips on how to best do this are also appreciated - and ship it.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:32 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes, I can return to you whatever we remove.

If you do not have the right tools to remove the head studs, I implore you to stop before damage is done. Let us remove the head studs and charge you for our time. Way cheaper that trying to fix a damaged block.

944 blocks are easy to ship, just double box it and pack it well. Put some crushable material in each of the corners in case it is dropped. Ship by Fed Ex to get better handling, UPS if you must. Insure it for its full value.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:20 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

I'm pretty sure the water pump studs NEVER come out without breaking off or screwing up the hole. When I pulled mine the threads in the block had been transformed via corrosion into this weird black crud. I made a simple drill fixture and drilled out and Time-serted all the threads for the water pump and oil cooler. No way was about to mess with the head and main studs. Better to Carl and his guys wrestle with those!
Old 04-11-2017, 09:29 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tempest411
I'm pretty sure the water pump studs NEVER come out without breaking off or screwing up the hole. When I pulled mine the threads in the block had been transformed via corrosion into this weird black crud. I made a simple drill fixture and drilled out and Time-serted all the threads for the water pump and oil cooler. No way was about to mess with the head and main studs. Better to Carl and his guys wrestle with those!
Yes - there's absolutely no reason for me to mess things up more than I have already. What is "Time-sert"? Is that heli-coil?

Originally Posted by Carl Fausett
Yes, I can return to you whatever we remove.

If you do not have the right tools to remove the head studs, I implore you to stop before damage is done. Let us remove the head studs and charge you for our time. Way cheaper that trying to fix a damaged block.

944 blocks are easy to ship, just double box it and pack it well. Put some crushable material in each of the corners in case it is dropped. Ship by Fed Ex to get better handling, UPS if you must. Insure it for its full value.
What are the right tools? I take it, two nuts jammed together is not it.

Sounds good. Hopefully I'll have a chance to package everything up over the long weekend. It seems my time is in very short supply.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:47 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

We use an Oxy-acetylene torch to warm the area of the block holding the lower threads as they have a Loctite-red type thread locker on them that requires heat to release. Then we use a collet-style stud remover to remove the stud without damage. Using two nuts can damage the threads and over-elongate the fastener.

Attempting to remove the studs without softening the thread locker resin with heat can cause damage to the threads in the block.

There are other little tips and tricks too - but that's the most of it.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:08 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Yes - I used a torch to heat things up. I did not like the idea of putting two nuts together after messing with it for a while. Somehow the first stud came out even without heat.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:45 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

This is a great thread with awesome info!! Learning lots!

However I'm now scared of re-ringing my 87.... Going to have to do a lot more research.

Thanks Scott and Carl for taking us along for the ride! Great stuff.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:52 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Just paid for the overbore and coating. Will package and ship out in the next couple of days.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

I'll be watching for it. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2017, 10:04 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carl Fausett
I'll be watching for it. Thanks!
It's on the way. Shipped out Friday. The people at FedEx didn't like my packaging, so they put the lump in one of their boxes. Evidently fiber reinforced packaging tape doesn't match their definition of packaging tape.

I scrounged up just about every piece of cardboard I had to pack it. Don't feel obliged to return it all...

Old 04-24-2017, 10:21 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

That looks like it might not protect the block that we'll. I hope I'm wrong! I sent mine in one of those Pelican-type cases. You can get them used on E-Bay.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:32 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Scott - the shipping companies very much prefer the clear plastic tape because it actually has a higher tensile strength and sticks harder than the paper tape with water-activated adhesive.

Hopefully the box they put your block in is sturdy - those studs like to poke out any way they can...
Old 04-24-2017, 12:16 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

That looks like it might not protect the block that we'll. I hope I'm wrong! I sent mine in one of those Pelican-type cases. You can get them used on E-Bay.
That is only the first layer of stuff. I put in about 5 layers. It should be fine.

What's up with the murdering psycho that is always in your avatar? Do you have a thing for this?

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Scott - the shipping companies very much prefer the clear plastic tape because it actually has a higher tensile strength and sticks harder than the paper tape with water-activated adhesive.

Hopefully the box they put your block in is sturdy - those studs like to poke out any way they can...
Maybe I used the wrong term. There is no way this stuff has a lower tensile strength than the stuff they thought was so much better.

Studs were backed by at least four thick layers of cardboard. Putting it all in another box was no big deal - a little more protection is fine. What really bugged me was the argument that my tape was "not even packaging tape".

Whatever...
Old 04-24-2017, 01:15 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

I'd rethink that packing strategy it killed more than few blocks. When delivery guys drop it from truck to the ground and it hits the corner, it's gone.

I'm pretty sure the water pump studs NEVER come out without breaking off or screwing up the hole. When I pulled mine the threads in the block had been transformed via corrosion into this weird black crud.
Happens on head studs too..

Last edited by Voith; 04-24-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:15 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

You guys are popping off without seeing all the boxing that went in. If I get word that there is damage - I'll eat my words.

Quick Reply: Need an engine shop to do an overbore - SE Michigan