Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

275 N/A HP... S2 or 968 to start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 06:35 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
hot cams for 944S/S2 from Webcam are $1300/pair
they are very fast turnaround for the work too.

as arominus mentioned the 968 is sort of a "package deal" as-is. the exhaust and intake manifold are very much optimized to work with the variocam and "pulse tuning" so you need to address everything to get a gain.

an S2 is likely less sensitive to changes - you won't need to change the porting at all, the S/S2 intake port is arguably too big already (and 968 is just ridiculous )

S2 + MAF/MAP conversion + hot cams should get you way up there in power. 275? maybe not...but i could see 250+.
I'm running the S2 header and exhaust system, i don't know that it hurt it at all. Hard to tell up at 6,000ft though. I'm lucky if i'm putting 180 to the wheels as it is with the altitude. It was realllllly strong when i had it in LA last year though.

Edit: shameless repost of a time attack i did a while back, just to hear the noise of the motor
Old 03-14-2017, 06:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 655 Likes on 508 Posts

I'm sure it felt awesome since it could finally take a full breath

But take a look at a stock 968 exhaust - they had to be up to something relating to the tuning (whether electronic or resonance) when they came up with this, rather than sticking with the tried-and-true S2 setup.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:50 PM
Arominus
Race Car

I've always wondered about the twin tube, i'm sure they got a little bit out of it that way. The S2 exhaust is the same as what was on the S with the small resonator, its a bit louder than the 68 exhaust from what i've heard, but not hugely so.

I've been thinking about going VEMS one of these days, the 16v tune is very emissions oriented and it fights back when you mess with the tables (learned that when my S got the rogue MAF). I have a feeling getting out of the motronic and getting complete control would help a lot. Vems and cams. Better start saving...
Old 03-15-2017, 04:27 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arominus
I've always wondered about the twin tube, i'm sure they got a little bit out of it that way. The S2 exhaust is the same as what was on the S with the small resonator, its a bit louder than the 68 exhaust from what i've heard, but not hugely so.

I've been thinking about going VEMS one of these days, the 16v tune is very emissions oriented and it fights back when you mess with the tables (learned that when my S got the rogue MAF). I have a feeling getting out of the motronic and getting complete control would help a lot. Vems and cams. Better start saving...
Yeah, I think there's a lot to be gained with a standalone on the 16V engines. I plan to get MS up and running on the S engine before I think about swapping in a larger engine. It'll both give me a bit of extra power and make the swap easier in the long run.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:20 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by SloMo228
Yeah, I think there's a lot to be gained with a standalone on the 16V engines. I plan to get MS up and running on the S engine before I think about swapping in a larger engine. It'll both give me a bit of extra power and make the swap easier in the long run.
The maf was worth around 10hp along with the tune on my S. Going MS and ditching the AFM will be a nice improvement for you.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:03 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

It was a great improvement even on my NA 8v. I ran a MAF kit for about a year but I ran into too many issues with the rest of the Motronic system that it didn't make any sense, especially at the rate that I modify this car.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:54 PM
Braymond
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I would really like to read about your progress. It's not easy to find performance upgrades for the 2.5L 16v engines. I'm currently planning (for next winter) an S2 intake, Stahle header, and then a chip/tune.

For this season, I'm just going for the simple hp gains - AC delete and weight reduction.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:14 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

If you need an S2 intake manifold I have a spare for sale...
Old 03-16-2017, 04:59 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Braymond
I would really like to read about your progress. It's not easy to find performance upgrades for the 2.5L 16v engines. I'm currently planning (for next winter) an S2 intake, Stahle header, and then a chip/tune.

For this season, I'm just going for the simple hp gains - AC delete and weight reduction.
I did the S2 intake swap and I have a longtube header from MSDS feeding into a 2.5" exhaust. Unfortunately I don't have any dyno data, but my finely calibrated butt noticed an improvement in throttle response with the S2 intake and maybe a bit more power at higher revs. The header/exhaust felt like it added at least a few HP across most of the rev range, particularly in the middle to upper range.

I'll get a final dyno reading before I pull out the S mill. It'll be interesting to see what it produces after 210,000+ miles.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:18 PM
Arominus
Race Car

You are a brave soul, unless you get at ripping out the lines (engine out) and the evaporator in the dash (dash out). It doesn't gain you enough weight to be worth it for a car that sees street duty IMO. All you lose is the compressor and its not very heavy. The 944 is an oven as it is with the engine heat/torque tube and exhaust being close to the floor pan and with the hatch glass.....

Nothing is nicer than the cool blast of the A/C into your helmet on a hot day at the autocross or track day while waiting to get out or on the cooldown lap, or when your out with your lady. She will over look a lot of harshness in the car if the A/C is on
Old 03-16-2017, 05:32 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arominus
You are a brave soul, unless you get at ripping out the lines (engine out) and the evaporator in the dash (dash out). It doesn't gain you enough weight to be worth it for a car that sees street duty IMO. All you lose is the compressor and its not very heavy. The 944 is an oven as it is with the engine heat/torque tube and exhaust being close to the floor pan and with the hatch glass.....

Nothing is nicer than the cool blast of the A/C into your helmet on a hot day at the autocross or track day while waiting to get out or on the cooldown lap, or when your out with your lady. She will over look a lot of harshness in the car if the A/C is on
I'm in the same boat. I've cut almost everything else out of my car, even the power mirrors and windows, but I'm hanging on to the AC as long as it's still a street car. It gets too humid here to go without. I nearly had a heatstroke driving it last August in Alabama even with the windows open on the freeway. I had accidentally overcharged it and rendered it inoperable - it was so hot in that cabin I had to stop on the way to find a place to have the excess removed.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:28 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

couldn't find a screwdriver on the side of the road for the schrader valve?
Old 03-16-2017, 08:44 PM
Braymond
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I've cut almost everything else out of my car, even the power mirrors and windows, but I'm hanging on to the AC as long as it's still a street car. It gets too humid here to go without. I nearly had a heatstroke driving it last August in Alabama even with the windows open on the freeway. I had accidentally overcharged it and rendered it inoperable - it was so hot in that cabin I had to stop on the way to find a place to have the excess removed.
So the previous owner never converted to R134a and the AC hasn't worked in years. I am considering converting it and charging it just to see if that's all it needs. If that doesn't fix it, I'll be pulling it out.

I am curious to hear more about that S2 intake conversion. Did you post your mod here in the forums?

I am planning to do a dyno run this Spring just to get baseline numbers.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:44 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

So the previous owner never converted to R134a and the AC hasn't worked in years. I am considering converting it and charging it just to see if that's all it needs. If that doesn't fix it, I'll be pulling it out.

I am curious to hear more about that S2 intake conversion. Did you post your mod here in the forums?

I am planning to do a dyno run this Spring just to get baseline numbers.
Ah, yeah, if it's already not working and repair isn't feasible then I suppose there's no reason not to pull it out!

I didn't do a write-up​, but it's a pretty straightforward swap. The S2 intake is a direct bolt-on to the S head, the bulk of the job involves fitting all the extra bits like the AOS, throttle cable, fuel lines, vacuum lines, AFM/air filter, etc. None of it is difficult, but it is one of those fiddly jobs where you just have to take a minute to look at how it all goes together and figure out your approach before moving forward.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:45 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
couldn't find a screwdriver on the side of the road for the schrader valve?
With how hot that cabin was, I was desperate enough to pay someone else!

Quick Reply: 275 N/A HP... S2 or 968 to start?