Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for Interior Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 04:43 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
been there done that...
Spencer, I just have to give you 100 points for the signature quote,
Old 03-26-2017, 04:46 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by szabon
should I take a rattle can and paint over the stripped areas to protect them, or does it matter?
It only really matters if your passengers pee on the carpets. Of course you understand that's short term thinking.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:00 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by harveyf
FI used a dry ice slurry combined with rubbing alcohol..
But isn't the freezing point of carbon dioxide -57C and the freezing point of ethanol about -175C?

You're boiling alcohol so you can freeze glue? I don't get it?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:38 AM
the_bg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushable Epoxy Primer

Southern Polyurethanes makes a 50/50 mix Epoxy Primer that can be brushed. It's also designed to be sandable unlike many automotive epoxy primers. I recently purchased some but have not used it yet. Product data sheet indicates NOT to use an etching primer before hand.

Awlgrip also makes an epoxy primer (545 Epoxy Primer) that may be brushed but requires that you use the "brushing" converter (catalyst) and reducer as opposed to the "spraying" converter and reducer. It's a slower flashing reducer and allows the product to flow out.

However, I think Southern Polyurethanes Epoxy Primer is the more appropriate product for this application and vehicles. SPI Epoxy Primer is designed for automotive and is less cumbersome than Awlgrip with respect to the number of products needed to mix it. Awlgrip requires base, converter and reducer, whereas SPI requires only base and converter without the special need to purchase either spraying converter OR brushing converter. SPI is reasonably priced as well. Awlgrip is primarily used on boats or planes and is expensive.

Southern Polyurethanes (SPI):
http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

Their phone support is excellent and they have a user forum as well. A lot of DIY guys restoring their autos like SPI products. If you don't know whether their product will work with your particular scenario, simply call them. They are more than happy to help. I have no affiliation but I am starting the resto/repaint on my 993 and bought their primer to do so.

Originally Posted by Tremelune
I still don't have a great solution for covering the bare metal. I was hoping to find a brush-on epoxy primer, but they don't seem to exist. POR-15 is probably fine. Most paints are probably fine, really...
Old 03-26-2017, 12:38 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

SPI makes the best paint, but they have the worst website.

Can you tell me where you got yours? It's exactly what I'm looking for, but I can't even find a product name/number.

Quick Reply: Advice for Interior Restoration