Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is leaking AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 02:22 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

OOPS! You are right, it is PINK! DOH! I had a brain fart..sorry!

I can get the part number tonite off the unopened bottle I have at home, if someone wants it..

Sorry again! (blue, pink, purple, whatever it takes..............)

Tifo
Old 11-10-2003, 02:28 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another possibility. Could it be overfilled? That could be excess coolant from the overflow line from the reservoir.

Although I had the same thing and mine was the waterpump.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:09 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

Well, i drove the car for 150 miles last weekend and it has been parked in the garage since sunday and i checked under the car this morning and not one drop on the garage floor. I wounder why it leaked last week. Oh well, as long as its not leaking anymore everything is hopefully fine.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:20 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Last time mine was leaking, it was...HEAD GASKET!!!

Coolant was forced out of the reservoir after the car was shut off.

Not that you should worry or anything. Keep looking, leaks rarely fix themselves.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:07 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Theres your answer right there you beat me to it.
When you switch off your coolant temperature rises quite a bit before cooling down All cars do. If your electric fan isn't cutting in when you switch the car off then the coolant temperature and hence the pressure could be rising sufficiently to blow past a hose fitting somewhere or maybe past the filler cap. Try putting a cloth round the filla cap to see if its blowing out there and check all your hoses and clamps etc for leakage.
Check your secondary fan fuse (number 15 I think) you may need to change your fan sensor if its not turning on the fan
Old 11-19-2003, 08:44 AM
Antonio951
Drifting

the fan turns on
Old 11-26-2003, 11:00 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

here we go again,
i drove the car last saturday, since then it has been parked in the garage. Well almost every day i have just taken a quick look under the car to see if its been leaking. Nothing. CHecked last night, nothing. Well just checked 30 min ago and its at the same spot in the picture on the first page of this thread. ALSO there is some almost right under the front right headlight, is that where the waterpump is? Can someone take a pic of a engine and highlight the location of the WP? Im thinking my WP needs to be replaced what do you guys think? ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:11 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

I don't have the pics handy, but the wp is located on the passenger side of the engine, beneath the distributor cap. I don't know exaclty where the overflow tube runs, but it might run near the headlight. Are you overfilling the system? You should also check to see if your fans stay on (low speed only) for about 5 minutes after you turn the car off. You can also rent a pressure tester to pressurize the system. This will check for leaks around the radiator, the hoses, and the wp.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:24 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

ok, the fan stays on for a little bit when i turn the car off. And the collant tank is slightly above the minimum mark. If i need to buy a waterpump, what kind do i need to get and when i get it changed, do i need to change anything with it or can i just swap waterpumps? I work at a dealership(GM) and there is a mechanic that has been there for almost 20 years, has a lot of experiance with cars anything from old allantes, sevilles to new SRX CTS ESCALADES and XLR needless to say hes pretty good. He has done some little things on my car and done a great job but nothing major but i would trust him to change the waterpump so thast why im asking if he needs to do anything else when he changes it. I apresiate all or your help with my frustrating questions. Thanks alot.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:37 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

There are two pumps you can get. You can either stay with the na pump or you can get the turbo pump. When I changed mine, I stayed with the na pump as it is slightly cheaper. Some people say that you should get a new wp opposed to a rebuilt one. I have used several rebuilt ones in the past and never had a problem. I don't know when was the last time your timing belt was changed, but it might be worth changing it, seeing how it has to come off to get to the wp. If you have any oil leaks from the front seals, you should take care of those as well. The basic shopping list will include:
1. thermostat
2. wp
3. gasket for the wp and one for the thermostat
4. timing belt, balance shaft belt, and/or seals if any of this stuff is deamed necessary
Some people only trust their cars to porsche mechanics. However, your non-porsche mechanic shouldn't have any trouble working on it.

Quick Reply: Car is leaking AGAIN!