Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to buy AFM for 87 Porsche 924s

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 09:38 PM
Tabby_924
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Need to buy AFM for 87 Porsche 924s

Hi All,

I need to buy a good used AFM - for my 87 Porsche 924s- anyone have one to sell?? The used one from Ebay crapped out ($75) bought in May 2016- it was good initially - acceleration was great- but when my car developed idle issues- I opened it and the circuit board was pitted so bad that it wasn't worth the hassle (wiper track)- in my opinion you can repair them to a certain extent *unfortunately there are no aftermarket - so I put back my original -the original is okay - has some flat spots so acceleration is spotty- the BOSCH number on the AFM is 028020264.
Thanks all - hope someone out there has a good one sitting around.

I had other issues that contributed to the idle issues:
1) Stuck - Idle air control valve
2) dirty oxygen sensor - didn't replace I used a product from Amazon- called "Catalytic Converter, cleaner and deodorizer" made by Solder-It
I kid you not this worked for me - I get no more sputtering- when I disconnected the oxygen sensor the car smoothed out- so i determined the Oxygen sensor was one of the culprits - now with the oxygen sensor connected - no problems.

The vehicle was bought in April 2016 - yes timing belt and water pump and tensioners were replaced - by the previous owner ---

the things I have done so far:
1) New FPR and damper
2) new wires, plugs, distributor cap and rotor, ignition coil
3) good used Idle air control valve
4) Crank Position sensor & reference sensor - pita- alot of headaches
5) DME temperature sensor
6) new hoses under the intake
7) new intake hoses
8) OEM motor mounts
9) Cooler radiator fan switch
10) new thermostat
11) rebuilt the throttle body and new TPS sensor
12) cleaned the temperature sender - was green- couldn't find one - it works great!

Mechanics here in Virginia are scared to work on a Porsche 924 --lol...I called to get quotes and none was less than $400 dollars.
So I did it myself-

the car runs great when cold - But I need the AFM..................

Old 12-13-2016, 11:44 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Any AFM 85.5-88, maybe 89 should work.
Near you check with "just joshin" 944 parts guy in MD.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:40 AM
Tabby_924
Cruisin'

ok- I'll give them a call.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2016, 11:24 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice first post Tabby_924.

This summer my '87 924S created a hot idle stumble after a 2 hour trip north.
Your list included most of my checks.
I opened, cleaned (not with an eraser per Clarks but just soft paper or dollar bill) and reset the sliding track on my AFM. No difference.
I did have a "good" spare AFM (..064) and installed with no difference.
FYI-count the number of turns on the AFM adjustment screw under the sealer "cap" to keep for reference. My screw was 4.25 turns. Some say it should be between 7 and 8 ??.

You might try a couple of vacuum leak tests while waiting for the spare AFM.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...e-problem.html

Intake gaskets cause idle problems.

Just ideas.

J_AZ
Old 12-18-2016, 12:07 AM
Tabby_924
Cruisin'

Update - first Spencer - thanks - You helped me get in touch with the right guy - you are awesome and so is John from Just Joshin Porsche 944 Parts. :-)

The used AFM - was installed today - idle was so smooth I thought something was wrong.

Here is what I did and I feel really bad.... I bought a new battery - hooked up the terminals - I did something stupid - I wanted to move the battery to get a snug fit- so I lifted it with the + and Neg connected - so the positive touched the metal near the base of the windshield and I saw a small spark, i immediately disconnected the Negative... I thought it was over--- thought i had burnt toast - but thank GOD --- it was so brief - nothing harmed -- I don't know why I forgot to remove the negative -- just FYI - I think its a bad design - as the positive should have been better shielded or more rubber insulation. ???????

But overall - I'm really happy with the idle its smooth- oh my 3 year girl - told me to remove the tools out of the engine bay-- very very funny - she said that the 924 is her car --Lol

Thanks ALL ----

Quick Reply: Need to buy AFM for 87 Porsche 924s