Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head just got back from machine shop, crack in casting. Is this head OK?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 02:46 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I want to have an accurate cost breakdown for when i call the shop tomorrow. No matter what they try and say, they're to blame. I know the head wasnt like that when I brought it in. If they try and tell me it was, then they are admitting to not inspecting the head.

Labor: 200
Valve guides and stem seals: 95 w/shipping
head gasket + cam tower gasket: 80 w/shipping
Head washers and nuts: 50 w/shipping

Total = 425 + the cost of another rebuilable 951 head

What do 951 heads with valves and springs in decent shape run these days? I saw several on ebay for 400, and one for 185 that was damaged and useful only for valves.

I'm guessing I can get a decent head for ~300 so I'm going to present the shop with a total of $725 and explain to them this is the amount I expect to be reimbursed for my damages.

If they comply, I probably will just end up putting an NA head on it afterall, I didnt realize 951 heads had gotten so expensive.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

I wouldn't pay over $50 for a good, complete used 944 head.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:02 PM
kevin12973
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the machinist did my head he said most guides are oversize and need to be turned down for the correct interference fit, which he preferres. Looks like your machinist assumed the guides are good as is to press in.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:40 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Kevin is right, the guides were oversize and they failed to recognize this.

Who supplied the guides....?

It's their fault either way, either you supplied them and didn't know they were +, thus failed to bring to their attention or they supplied them.

They would have had to have driven the h3ll out of those just to get them in and should have known something was wrong, not to mention they should have checked the OD vs. the ones they removed.

There's no way I'd attempt to repair that head.

Whadya need.....?

A donor head....?

I should probably have one I'd practically give you just for the fact that every time I pop in here you are fighting some kind of trouble.

Some, I think you'll agree, after being resolved, were self inflicted....

Get Spencer to contact me offline if nobody can help you with a better offer than a free donor head. He has my personal contact info.
I'll be looking through my stash for an extra.

T
Old 10-24-2016, 05:57 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

Make them source and rebuild you another head. No out of pocket cost.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:25 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

+1 to what Terry said...replacement guides for 944 head are, IIRC, 0.010" oversize...which they would have had to press the crap out of the head to make fit if they didn't ream the hole prior.

Typical interference fit is what, 0.002"? Maybe less? Yikes.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:41 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

You're supposed to heat the head prior to pressing them in. Surely they knew that?
Old 10-30-2016, 04:44 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Kevin is right, the guides were oversize and they failed to recognize this.

Who supplied the guides....?

It's their fault either way, either you supplied them and didn't know they were +, thus failed to bring to their attention or they supplied them.

They would have had to have driven the h3ll out of those just to get them in and should have known something was wrong, not to mention they should have checked the OD vs. the ones they removed.

There's no way I'd attempt to repair that head.

Whadya need.....?

A donor head....?

I should probably have one I'd practically give you just for the fact that every time I pop in here you are fighting some kind of trouble.

Some, I think you'll agree, after being resolved, were self inflicted....

Get Spencer to contact me offline if nobody can help you with a better offer than a free donor head. He has my personal contact info.
I'll be looking through my stash for an extra.

T

Thats extremely generous of you, thanks a lot. I really appreciate the gesture, it's things like this that make this community great.

The shop has agreed to fix this 100%, but they are having a hard time locating a casting so I will take you up on that offer. Let me know what you'd like for it and I will relay your paypal info to the shop so that they can pay you.

-Doug
Old 10-30-2016, 05:53 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear that the shop stepped up to make it right for you, agreed that this community is great for helping eachother out.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:54 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have quite a few as well if needed, the space they are occupying is worth more to me lol
Old 10-31-2016, 06:01 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Thanks for all the help guys! The shop has paypal and has asked me to get a seller in touch with them so they can pay and arrange shipping to the shop. I'm hoping this will all blow over soon and I can get my motor into my car before winter hits.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:50 PM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shop did it or you'd see carbon in the break. Good luck, it's junk now.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:31 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by car_slave
The shop did it or you'd see carbon in the break. Good luck, it's junk now.
I was pretty irritated with the machinist who actually did the work, I called the shop and spoke to him today and he swore up and down the crack was there when I brought the head in. He claimed it was caused in the past when a valve got bent (my head had no bent valves, they said the valves must have been replaced before) and he ALSO said the BRAND NEW canyon 1st replacement valve guides I sent were "exactly the same OD" as the factory guides. I informed him he was wrong on both counts, and then his story changed to "well, they were .001" oversize and I reamed it". He also claimed the damage was "no big deal since the guide doesnt go down that far and there is no water channel there" I was very polite to him and told him I respectfully disagreed. The shop owner (not the guy who did the work!) has been very nice working with me on this. Despite his employees insistence it wasn't his fault, the shop owner still owned up. IMHO that says it all. The man is running a business, if he really believed his guy he would be siding with him. After speaking to the machinist I got on the phone with the owner and basically told him I didn't appreciate his machinist trying to lie to me to cover his ***.

Anyway, the shop owner said they are going to weld the crack and sell the head, so they are essentially agreeing to "trade me" for another rebuilt head, and buying me a new HG and nuts/washers for my trouble.

The shop has done good work for me in the past on 944 heads, I think the machinist just F'ed up.

That is there problem in my opinion if they are stuck with a head no 944 owner is going to want to buy.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:05 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad you got that sorted out.

Did you break a mirror at the beginning of this project? It seems you keep running into problems! I hope it's all smooth sailing from here man!

I had the same problem happen to me once, where valve guide replacement caused damage to the head casting. But I got lucky and instead of a crack, just a small chunk broke off. Nonetheless, I took it back and they offered to add material by welding, and not knowing any better, I agreed. Well it's been installed and running fine for years. Just a data point.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:11 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Glad you got that sorted out.

Did you break a mirror at the beginning of this project? It seems you keep running into problems! I hope it's all smooth sailing from here man!

I had the same problem happen to me once, where valve guide replacement caused damage to the head casting. But I got lucky and instead of a crack, just a small chunk broke off. Nonetheless, I took it back and they offered to add material by welding, and not knowing any better, I agreed. Well it's been installed and running fine for years. Just a data point.
Yeah its been one thing after another. I've been through 4 engine blocks and now two heads trying to piece together a reliable motor that wont be a money pit. I've replaced or rebuilt literally everything except the shell of the car so I'm hoping all my hard work and money spent will be worth it. I'm itching to get the car running so that come spring I can get it out onto the track. It's going to be a beast!

Quick Reply: Head just got back from machine shop, crack in casting. Is this head OK?