Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lindsey Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 10:35 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Lindsey Racing

We recently completed a hybrid stroker build on my 89 951.

After initial start up the car was running like crap. It sounded like a diesel engine and had a lumpy idle.

I reached out to a few people, who I have developed a tremendous amount of respect for, to try and get some help.

The consensus after listening to the video was that the firing order was wrong. We checked and double checked plug wire orientation as well as timing and the rest of the ignition system.

Dave Lindsey spent a LOT of time with me on the phone in an attempt to help us figure out what the problem was. In fact, one of the conversations lasted over 45 minutes. Dave was very patient and persistent in his efforts to help. We talked about all aspects of the build including all existing mods.

I mentioned that we had used a lightened aftermarket flywheel. He asked me which one and I told him it was the SPEC that is scalloped, (the one LR sells). Dave explained to me that the OD was 1/8" bigger than the stock FW. He asked how we set the air gap between the FW sensor pin and crank sensor. My mechanic said that there was a sensor pin in the SPEC FW and he assumed that it was at the correct height.

Dave said if the air gap was not set properly, that likely the FW sensor pin was hitting the crank sensor. So we pulled the crank sensor and sure enough the end was beat up.

My mechanic replaced the crank sensor, set the air gap and started the car.

The car idles smoothly!

So Dave Lindsey wins the prize for figuring this out and I am grateful.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:16 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Now that sounds like great service from Lindsey Racing!
Old 10-21-2016, 12:39 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And are you enjoying the new power?
Old 10-21-2016, 07:59 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Now THAT is Customer Service!

Edit: Makes we want to buy something from them just to show my appreciation. Hmmmm.....let me check my bank balance.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:39 AM
StrictlyAttitude
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find this from the businesses that stay in business the long haul. They are doing what they love and truly care about the people they make products for. Great job getting it up and smoothed out and Lindsey Racing just got a +1 in my book for going the extra distance to help you out.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:54 AM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Now that sounds like great service from Lindsey Racing!
Yes, I second that Motion....

Even from across the Pond, I must have over 200+ replies on email from Mike @ Lindsey Racing over 2.5 years with my Project 924S.

As this example, they not only come across like they know their stuff about the Porsche transaxle's in this, and my case but they also produce the goods.

My bespoke 2.7 Litre engine would not of been possible without their know how and expertise.

R
Old 10-21-2016, 10:33 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

I might add that they did NOT do the engine build and were still willing to help me.

I have been a Customer for awhile and find their prices are competive and when you add in the technical support, these guys are my go to vendor.

Trending Topics

Old 10-21-2016, 02:10 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a negative experience with a LR product years ago and Dave contacted me directly and offered to make things right. In the end, Dave did quite a bit more than I could have reasonably asked for to make me whole again. Nice to hear he's still a decent guy.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:31 PM
porscharu
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't purchased anything from LR, but I will be changing that in the future. Going to browse their site now. Good on you Dave!
Old 10-24-2016, 12:17 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fejjj
We recently completed a hybrid stroker build on my 89 951.

After initial start up the car was running like crap. It sounded like a diesel engine and had a lumpy idle.

I reached out to a few people, who I have developed a tremendous amount of respect for, to try and get some help.

The consensus after listening to the video was that the firing order was wrong. We checked and double checked plug wire orientation as well as timing and the rest of the ignition system.

Dave Lindsey spent a LOT of time with me on the phone in an attempt to help us figure out what the problem was. In fact, one of the conversations lasted over 45 minutes. Dave was very patient and persistent in his efforts to help. We talked about all aspects of the build including all existing mods.

I mentioned that we had used a lightened aftermarket flywheel. He asked me which one and I told him it was the SPEC that is scalloped, (the one LR sells). Dave explained to me that the OD was 1/8" bigger than the stock FW. He asked how we set the air gap between the FW sensor pin and crank sensor. My mechanic said that there was a sensor pin in the SPEC FW and he assumed that it was at the correct height.

Dave said if the air gap was not set properly, that likely the FW sensor pin was hitting the crank sensor. So we pulled the crank sensor and sure enough the end was beat up.

My mechanic replaced the crank sensor, set the air gap and started the car.

The car idles smoothly!

So Dave Lindsey wins the prize for figuring this out and I am grateful.
Jeff,

We are glad we could help you out and won the prize!! Wait a minute.... what prize?!?! LOL

Seriously, we felt your pain and frustration and we were pretty confident in our suspicions as to what was wrong with the build. It seemed like a short list of what could cause it to run that way after trudging through all the particulars.

LR
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 10-24-2016, 12:25 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts

Great experiences with Lindsey Racing as well , it's nice that Dave or Mike can take the time to explain something over the phone as well as set you up with the proper parts.

They shipped stuff to Canada via DHL overnight a few times when i was in urgent need of parts
before a race weekend and that was well appreciated !
Old 10-25-2016, 01:23 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey
Jeff,

We are glad we could help you out and won the prize!! Wait a minute.... what prize?!?! LOL

Seriously, we felt your pain and frustration and we were pretty confident in our suspicions as to what was wrong with the build. It seemed like a short list of what could cause it to run that way after trudging through all the particulars.

LR

Mike,

Ask Dave what I sent him.

Thanks again!
Old 10-25-2016, 02:33 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I'll add that LR assembled me a custom rebuild kit for my '82 motor turned turbo, and caught things I wasn't even aware of. I thought for sure I'd get a few wrong seals given the odd build, but nope, correct.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:29 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't owned a 944 for years, I still poke around their site and recommend them to others. Stand up company with awesome products and support.

Quick Reply: Lindsey Racing