Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

31000KM Canadian 924S LeMans

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016 | 02:42 PM
NeunVier&Zwanzig
Track Day

Default 31000KM Canadian 924S LeMans

Hey guys, I'm new the the forum and new to watercooled Porsche, but am a longtime aircooled and watercooled VW enthusiast.
This weekend, after a lot of research, and a little hesitation, I went out an bought a beautiful 1988 924S.
I am pretty excited to clean up all the nooks and crannies, put a couple of small things back to original spec, and enjoy the car. This car has been very sparingly used over the last number of years, so before really enjoying it, I will need to do the front of engine service, as well as change the engine oil, filter, brake fluid, transaxle fluid, tune up parts...
I'm also interested in sourcing some euro spec bumpers, and a pair of H4 bulbs to replace the sealed beams. I'm sure I will have some questions as I go, so thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience!

Last edited by NeunVier&Zwanzig; 10-05-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-03-2016 | 03:03 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

http://rennbay.com/944-headlight-relay-harness.html
Old 10-03-2016 | 04:46 PM
KVDR
Pro

Congrats! You've come to the right place.
Old 10-03-2016 | 05:04 PM
NeunVier&Zwanzig
Track Day

Thanks Guys.
One funny thing that I noticed right away is that the front wheels have a larger lip than the rear ones. I imagine whoever had the wheels off last either didn't know they were different widths and rotated them front to back, or got distracted in the middle of the job and forgot which went where.
The black centre caps are also a little odd. Not sure why you would have the centre cap a different colour that the rest of the wheel. A matter of preference I guess.
Old 10-03-2016 | 10:20 PM
NeunVier&Zwanzig
Track Day

Something else I'd like to do Is put the original Blaupunkt back into it since it is such a low mileage original car. While I like the Bluetooth, USB and AUX inputs, the modern JVC does not look quite right in there. It was also not wired to move the ol'e Hirschmann up and down automatically, and that just won't do! The previous owner is still trying to locate it. I've got my fingers crossed!
Old 10-04-2016 | 12:04 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Congratulations. It looks like you've found a great car.

As for a euro bumper, use the thread tools to find 944UK. Justin can fix you up.

Hope you'll share some more pics. By the way, where are you located?

Also, there's a Canadian portal on this site.
Old 10-04-2016 | 11:38 AM
NeunVier&Zwanzig
Track Day

Thanks curtisr,
I will take some more pictures after I give the car a good initial cleaning, but I'll put a couple up showing the nice intact orginal under hood padding, and the fairly tidy. (considering no cleaning has been done) engine compartment.
The striped seats are also pretty well preserved, but I will save those pictures for later
The odometer on the car reads 30,900 KM which explanes why the interior, and engine compartment are in such nice shape. Nothing like some of the other low mileage wonders posted on this site of late, but I think it will clean up nicely.
I'm located in Winnipeg, so unfortunately the car will be tucked away for the winter pretty soon!

Last edited by NeunVier&Zwanzig; 10-05-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2016 | 12:12 PM
KVDR
Pro

We're definitely going to want to see progress pics, and pics of those seats!

The Canada region forum on Rennlist is pretty much just guys from Toronto and area.
Old 10-04-2016 | 12:51 PM
NeunVier&Zwanzig
Track Day

I've been to Toronto a couple of times. That picture sums it up nicely :P
I also took a closer look at the wheels last night. It looks like silver on the rims has been repainted at some point. There are a couple of small chips in the silver paint where you can see black underneath. I almost think the wheels were originally black, and that the centre caps were just not painted when the wheels were refinished. Were body coloured wheels an option?
Old 10-04-2016 | 12:53 PM
KVDR
Pro

I'm sure one of our resident experts can chime in, but I doubt they ever came in black.

I recently repainted my phone dials using Wurths silver and then clear coat. Pretty happy with the end result.
Old 10-04-2016 | 10:30 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Bombers!
Old 10-04-2016 | 11:34 PM
NeunVier&Zwanzig
Track Day

Yeah Bombers! Go Blue!
Alright, now that we have bored and confused all the Americans, on to all things Porsche.

This evening while looking at the warranty manual I noticed a peculiar date of commencement for this car. It seems as though the original purchaser preferred Porsche shopping to handing out Halloween candy! I don't blame him really. Now the question is, will this car end up being a trick or a treat?

Old 10-05-2016 | 03:00 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Looks like a Happy Halloween for the buyer ! I would guess it was a 'treat' then and looks to be a treat today. Congratulations !

AS to the color of the wheels. NO, they were never black from the factory, but if they were FUCHS on an earlier car, could have been one of four or five colors. Phone dials came all silver. The flat FUCHS could be had in silver or platinum colors but not seen often on the 924S. I have them on several 944s tho, and certainly lend a different look often not seen. They are a VERY strong wheel in both FUCHS applications compared to the cast wheels available at the time from Porsche. The cast phone dials are GREAT wheels, don't get me wrong, but will crack and chunk out if hit hard at speed against a curb or ditch, whereas the the FUCHS will bend and not break. Deform but not chunk out if damaged.
Old 10-05-2016 | 11:21 AM
NeunVier&Zwanzig
Track Day

Well, I have to confess that I have not given full disclosure on what I know about his car. I thought it would be fun to see if any Rennlisters pick up on the fact that this is a LeMans edition 924S. I'm not very good at keeping secrets, or very patient for that matter, so the charade is over.

The features that distinguish it as a LeMans are:
944 style side mouldings
rear "mud flaps"
M030 suspension
striped "lightweight?" cloth interior
and possibly some other things I have yet to discover!
Old 10-05-2016 | 04:51 PM
NeunVier&Zwanzig
Track Day

Other features of the LeMans package are:
-smaller four spoke sport stearing wheel
-7Jx15 rear wheels, 6Jx15 front.

I have to say though, it was the seats that sold me on the car 🙂

Quick Reply: 31000KM Canadian 924S LeMans