Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't Reach 5th Gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:17 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post
Default Can't Reach 5th Gear

86 951.

After driving down the interstate for about 30 minutes, ran into slow traffic. Downshifted to 4th for a little bit, and when I went to get 5th again, something strange happened. Threw the lever all the way to the right stop, but when I went to push it up into 5th, it wouldn't move up. Pulled it back into 4th and tried again, it went into 5th this time, but grudgingly. Since then, it's hit and miss. Often, when thrown all the way to the right and then up, it will go into third. FWIW, , full right and down has no problem finding reverse.

Any quick way to troubleshoot to determine if this could be a linkage adjustment issue, or is this an indication of deeper transmission issues?

Thanks much. I tried searching, albeit quickly, but didn't come up with applicable results.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:10 PM
CrookedRacer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you haven't done the repair to your shifter to remove side-to-side play in the linkage, just try that.

You may have so much slop that you are hitting your tunnel before you are reaching the engagement for 5th.

Only944.com has a fantastic product. http://only944.com/partscatalog/only/shifter/

Here is their shifter installation on my car:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for.../105890/page2/

You can also make your own with a bolt, some washers, and some thrust bearings from McMaster Carr, but by the time you've collected all the pieces, you might as well have picked up the kit from only944 and saved Yourself the time.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...t-linkage.html
Old 09-30-2016, 10:17 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

When this happened to me, it was the linkage arm that connects the linkage back plate to the opposite side of the trans. The bolt/nut that connects that arm to the linkage itself was loose, and since that hole is oval, it was travelling to side.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:58 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

first things first, make sure the leather boot and rubber boot beneath it aren't just bunched up and blocking you from fully engaging the gear.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:06 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Really appreciate the timely responses, guys.

The Only944 shifter has actually been on my parts list for a while now due to a shifter that was already sloppy before this issue.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised it eventually progressed to this.

Will have a look at the other linkage suggested, as well.

Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:28 PM
EJZero1
Pro

And we have a winner.

Driving from Denver back to Colorado Springs this morning. In anticipation of an off-ramp, I pull out of 5th and move towards 4th and something comes undone. Car is in neutral, and I can move the shifter in any direction with no affect. Coast off the highway and off to the side of the off-ramp. Pull the leather and rubber boots up from the tunnel and find the shift lever and shift rod have come disconnected. The pin on the shift lever is tapered significantly. Reconnect them and hold it all together with my hand long enough to get us off the road and into the nearest parking lot.

Once safely off the road, I take a closer look. There, sitting pretty as can be on top of the tunnel, is a washer and circlip from the assembly. Manage to put things back together, and shift very gingerly the remaining 30 miles to home.

Already ordered the shift lever from Only944 last night, so it should be in this week.

Just wanted to bring this full circle. Will take a couple pics for comparison sake when I do the install.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

You'll be amazed at the feel of the shifter in your hands once you get the bearings and such installed.

Quick Reply: Can't Reach 5th Gear