Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking noise in steering wheel??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 11:06 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Clicking noise in steering wheel??

Strange--I posted this, and it vanished!?

I am getting a strange (and annoying) clicking noise in the steering wheel/column area when I drive. It's not a mechanical problem--sounds more like plastic vibrating somewhere inside the steering wheel assembly. When I drive and put downward pressure on the wheel, the noise decreases.

Any ideas?? Can I take the wheel off, without the airbag going poof?? It must be something loose in there causing the clicking/rubbing sound. It's not a major problem, but since I removed the rear cargo cover and solved that rattle, I am on a quest to have a quiet sounding interior!

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:42 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a technical service nbulletin about this

its to do with the console rubbing against the wheel column or something,

1> try a small suirt of wd40/silicone lubricant

2> ask someone for the porsche tech bulletin/ your porsche dealer as well.
I cant find mine at the mo
Old 10-23-2003, 11:50 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ree-hee-lyy!? Interesting. I'm not alone!

Any idea WHERE I should be shooting WD40 in there? I would hate to melt the console! There is a rubber boot at the back of the steering wheel. Could it be in there somewhere?

How can I get a copy of the service bullitin? My Porsche dealer never heard of the 944!
Old 10-08-2005, 01:01 AM
panzer grey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the clicking sound as well....sounds like something plastic. ( 1985.5 944 )

Not wild about squirting anything under there....the sound is definately something 'clicking' as opposed to something rubbing so I doubt any lubricnt would make a difference or solve the problem longterm.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:08 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow, old post!!

Funny, I was just noticing how my clicking/rubbing sound went away at some point--gone now. Not sure why. But my sound was definately plastic rubbing on plastic. Made a clicking noise because it would rub as the steering column moved resulting from bumps in the road.

Try holding your hand around the rubber steering column hub...see if the clicking stops.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:28 AM
camelot
Instructor

Sounds like maybe temperature related. Expansion ,contraction. Did you have the heat or defroster on? That might help find the area better. Are you turning the wheel when it happens? That's how I would try to locate it. Check any trim screws for looseness. I've been under my dash now for a couple days and found quite a few. I've also started having pizza delivered while I'm under there!
Old 10-08-2005, 12:39 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Alex. You getting tired of that fixer upper yet?
Old 10-08-2005, 06:52 PM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a metal place behind the steering wheel.. its probebly bent a lil outward.. get a screwdriver and push it back in... that fixed mine..
Old 10-09-2005, 09:43 AM
camelot
Instructor

Naaah. It's still just testing my skill's. It will test my patience if I get stuck on the road some day. Althought the 88 might get jealous from all the attention.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:31 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vette4lyfe
There is a metal place behind the steering wheel.. its probebly bent a lil outward.. get a screwdriver and push it back in... that fixed mine..
Yes, this is what I did to fix mine. The metal is a conductor for the horn, I think. They used a piece of metal to touch a piece of metal because a wire would get f'ed up if you turned the wheel to far. I don't have an air bag, so it was easy to pull off the steering wheel pad, remove the steering wheel and play with bending the metal conductor so that it no longer made the annoying noise. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise in steering wheel??