Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugh...Another insurance question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:33 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ugh...Another insurance question.

Well, the '89 NA was parked in the driveway a few nights back when the mother of all hail storms roared through the neighborhood. Golf ball and larger sized ***** of ice impacting the car at terminal velocity for about 20 minutes straight. Never seen or heard anything like it.

The results are what you would expect. Every metal surface beat to hell. Windshield cracked, and passenger door mirror shattered.

My expectation is that the insurance folks will total it. Been with the insurance company (USAA) for the better part of 20 years, and they've always treated me very well, just obviously want to make sure I get the best I can out of this situation.

Did some online research via NADA and Hagerty and got some ballpark values. Any other resources that wold be beneficial to check out?

Car is a daily driver. Not a showpiece, but a decent 20-footer (up til last week, anyway). Has the 2.7L and runs and drives like a dream, despite its less-than-concourse appearance. Interior shows its age with split seats and the cracked dash. About 180k on the clock.

Any idea what a fail value might be, assuming the insurance folks total it?

TIA.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:30 PM
chuck v
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep friends lost a few non Porsche cars in the hail storm. I'd try and get car to dealer for estimate. A classic dealer there might have a good starting point.

Sorry for loss, USAA good in past for me

Chuck
Old 08-03-2016, 01:54 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Probably around the $4k mark for the car, but keep in mind they are not going to have to pay for a rental while it's repaired, or any towing, as in an accident. So you can leverage that to some extent. Are you planning to buy it back? or let it go?

CO Springs has to be the worst place on earth for hailstorms. I bet the new car dealers are making "deals" on dented up cars.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:24 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Ross
Probably around the $4k mark for the car, but keep in mind they are not going to have to pay for a rental while it's repaired, or any towing, as in an accident. So you can leverage that to some extent. Are you planning to buy it back? or let it go?

CO Springs has to be the worst place on earth for hailstorms. I bet the new car dealers are making "deals" on dented up cars.
The commercials were already going for that before this storm. Now they are even worse.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:34 PM
nelso419
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work for Hagerty Insurance I expect they will use Kelly Blue Book and which is usually below NADA and our book. But maybe they'll be good to you.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:06 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Originally Posted by 944Ross
Probably around the $4k mark for the car, but keep in mind they are not going to have to pay for a rental while it's repaired, or any towing, as in an accident. So you can leverage that to some extent. Are you planning to buy it back? or let it go? CO Springs has to be the worst place on earth for hailstorms. I bet the new car dealers are making "deals" on dented up cars.
$4k is right in the ballpark I'm hoping for. Planning on buying it back. Tires are less than a year old, so I'll try to use that to my favor as well.

The Springs is, indeed, terrible for hail. If it thunders, you can bet you'll get hail to some degree. That said, I've never seen anything of the magnitude that hit us last week.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:32 PM
EJZero1
Pro

Well, this took a pretty crappy turn today...

My insurance company, in doing their due diligence to determine a settlement, has determined that my 944 was totaled in California in 2001, and received a salvage title at that time. 2 years later, it was titled in Colorado, minus the "salvage" distinction. I buy it 7 years later, oblivious to the fact that though the title appears clear, the car is a salvage.

Bottom line: Total settlement is around $1600. Less deductible brings it down to $1350. I want the car back, so I'm taking my car and getting a whopping $700.

Not the way I expected this to end.

Thus starts the search for all of the sheet metal from the doors forward. Color doesn't matter. I see a Plastidip paint job in my future...
Old 08-08-2016, 10:38 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

You need to fight them.

Did they give you a "salvage title" premium discount when you insured the car with them?
Did they even notify you that the car had a salvage title when they contractually agreed to insure your car?
Does your policy say salvage cars are not insured to the same value as non-salvage cars?

No, they happily took your money and didn't care. Time to fight for what you paid for.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:38 PM
pdxfj
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch.. that sucks.. But as Paul suggested fight them tooth and nail..

Have you considered a paint less dent removal place? I've been amazed at what I've seen them able to fix. Someone backed into the door of my friends 914 and they were able to get it about 95% back to normal. Hard to tell anything happened. Cost of PDR might be cheaper than the cost of parts, and your time/frustration to swap them.

Quick Reply: Ugh...Another insurance question.