Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing 8v or 16v n/a

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 09:28 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 16V engine is a blast. It "feels" kind of gutless at low RPM but it's actually making more power than the 8V at all points. It just has a much more defined power band and really takes off after 4K RPM.

Plus, you can always downshift. The 16V loves to rev.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:43 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by odonnell
Larger rear sway = less understeer.
Fixed it for you.

Noah - do a search on chassis tuning. There are plenty of matrices out there that split out oversteer vs understeer, when you do X.

For example, increasing rear roll stiffness (larger anti-roll bar) reduces understeer. The same thing with tire pressure, etc. Start with the cheap and easy things.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:54 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Eddie, you make a good point with sideways is not always faster. I noticed at the last rally that I was trying skandi flicks under (dry conditions) where they might not be required... and I think I was loosing time compared to taking them like an autocross, but mid way through the long event it started pouring rain hard & then... magically that technique started to really show it's strength. So, could the trick be to "drive for the conditions"? Or is the ideal line ALWAYS the same?
I think on good pavement sideways is pretty much always going to be slower.. Unless maybe you have to go around a barrel twice or something silly like that..

I think even in the wet on pavement straight is going to be faster but the tightness of a turn that may benefit from some sideways may grow a bit, maybe add tight hairpins to the barrels..

I don't think sideways is ever a good idea if you have any traffic with you..

That's for pavement, dirt is a whole other animal.

On dirt going fast you kinda float on top of it.
The point of going sideways on dirt is to get your power wheels pointed in the direction you want to go and use your cars power to push you around the corner.

On pavement you loose all sorts of traction when you slide or spin, not so much on dirt..

For example a car will stop faster on pavement breaking hard but not locking up.
On dirt you actually stop faster completely locked up because of the way your tires plow the surface..

That plowing effect is also probably why, in my mind, some overseer slip angle can be beneficial on dirt..

Do you want to race or do you want to drift?
Drifting is fun but its not about laptimes..

Quick Reply: Choosing 8v or 16v n/a