Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

84 944 n/a Sparkplug Wires

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 05:52 PM
I-Wana-951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 944 n/a Sparkplug Wires

Could somone plz tell me on the stock wire sets how the molded spark plug connector attaches to the wire. Is it possible to remove the connector form the wire to re-use it? If so what is the means of re-attachment of the new wire? Are these stock wires 7mm? What makes the new wire sets so expensive? Is there some huge amount of energy going through them that makes them special, or can an average" run of the mill" set by re-using the sparkplug connectors at one end?
Old 10-21-2003, 07:13 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The price is due to the expensive ends, I've never tried taking one apart so I can't answer the rest of your question. I will point out that a new set of wires with old ends is not the same as a new set of wires with new ends. I have had an end go bad, at which point stock wires are equal to wire with "cheap" ends. I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:16 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ends are BERU (???) connections. I think the way it works is that the act like capacitors so the wire's resistance can be ignored. The longer the wire, the more resistance, so the #4 plug would see less voltage than the #1.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:43 PM
I-Wana-951
Racer

Shlicten Hows $25 sound for those wires?
Old 10-21-2003, 08:01 PM
Dave
Race Car

Originally posted by iloveporsches
The ends are BERU (???) connections. I think the way it works is that the act like capacitors so the wire's resistance can be ignored. The longer the wire, the more resistance, so the #4 plug would see less voltage than the #1.
Close, The Beru ends have a load (electrical impedance) that lesser ends don't have and use high quality with very little resistance, the result is that all wires from the longest to the shortest have the SAME resistance. Lesser wires (Accel, Magnecor, Nology, etc) use a cheaper grade of wire that has a high resistance per foot and plain ends that have no resistance, this results in wires that vary in resistance depending on the length and the longest wire may have twice the resistance of the shortest (or more). I don't know what benefit would come of having twice the spark at the #1 cyl that you have at the #4 . One manufacturer adds a capacitor in the end as a form of "poor man's" capacitive discharge/multi-spark system, but that tiny capacitor can't possibly store enough current to make any difference. You want CDI, buy a real CDI unit, there are a number to choose from starting under $100. Most feel that these units are good for 2-3 HP or less, how much power can tiny caps in the plug wires add?
Old 10-21-2003, 08:03 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by I-Wana-951
Shlicten Hows $25 sound for those wires?
Give him $35!

Just two of the resistor ends are worth that.

And:

Yes you just unscrew the wires from the ends.

Yes you can replace just the 7mm OD 16 gage stranded core wires if you have the BERU ends and the ability to crimp them properly. They unscrew from the ends.

But!

Many ends are corroded inside and the brass wire ends tend to twist off. This makes the ends unusable even with some surgery. I've found that the bottom two ends on the dist. cap and the coil wire to be corroded more than the others.

www.kingsborne.com
Old 10-21-2003, 08:23 PM
Dave
Race Car

Or try paragon, I think those Kingsborne wires are the same as the ones they sell, the price is within pennies and the service is the best.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:38 PM
Terry Jamison
Instructor

Give him the $35 bucks.
If you don't I will.
I could use a set on my current project, the bent-valve-engine-rejuvination.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:25 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dave is right on all three counts...
Old 10-22-2003, 02:03 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

I use KingsBorne's web site as a reference. Buy through their resellers.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:32 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Close, The Beru ends have a load (electrical impedance) that lesser ends don't have and use high quality with very little resistance, the result is that all wires from the longest to the shortest have the SAME resistance. Lesser wires (Accel, Magnecor, Nology, etc) use a cheaper grade of wire that has a high resistance per foot and plain ends that have no resistance, this results in wires that vary in resistance depending on the length and the longest wire may have twice the resistance of the shortest (or more). I don't know what benefit would come of having twice the spark at the #1 cyl that you have at the #4 .
Ok, so that's what the BERU's do. I knew that the BERU (high-quality/price) wires give each plug the same resistance, and that the cheapo wires didn't.

I wonder though, if the #1 plug has say twice the needed spark and the #4 has the bare minumum? Talking about cheapo wires, of course.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:40 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Yes Ilove. That would be true if the #4 plug was 4 times as long as the number 1 plug.

And I don't mean in total length but in resistance to voltage ratios.

In laymans term the # 4 plug wire would be about 52 kilometers long and coiled up in the engine bay.

I exagerate. BUt no that is not true. If you have resistance wire you will get more spark out of a shorter wire, but in actuality the #4 plug is only about twice as long, maybe three times, and even at that we are talking about a difference of like 6 or 7 ohms across nearly infinite resistance at the plug.

Read up on the P/I*E stuff, figure out how a series parellel circuit works and you'll be about 2% of the way towards figuring out all this elcetronics crap.

Suffice to say. The Beru plugs/wires are worth the money, over regular everyday type stuff, but there is a variety of factors, besides wire length and wire resistance.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:51 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Sid, I hate electronics. But I have had two years of physics so far so I vaguely remember enough of those circuit equations. I was just wondering whether some plugs had more than optimum, or if some plugs were getting less than optimum when you don't have the BERU connections.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:08 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

The BERU wire set ends also stay stuck on the plugs. Not only from the spring for the plug tip but the seals on the outside. The other mfg wires don't seem to seal properly.

Last edited by SoCal Driver; 10-22-2003 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:08 AM
Dave
Race Car

Having more than optimum spark is like having too much money, it ain't gonna happen!

Quick Reply: 84 944 n/a Sparkplug Wires