Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racer's Edge adjustable drop link installation: 944 S2

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016 | 12:25 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
When do you anticipate leaving Santa Cruz? We should grab coffee...have temporarily relocated from Washington to San Francisco.
Actually, if you're up for a drive in the mountains I'll invite you down to the former Vila Montagne Equestrian B&B one of these days? We're in Big Basin park on the north side of Hwy 236. We have a latte machine and, with good weather, a nice view of the Monterey Bay from the deck.

I'm in Santa Cruz now, we have a broker showing for the house today and I had to help get it ready. Next trip to Paso is on the 10th, I'll probably be back here around the 17th (I hope). My caretaker is pretty good but I hate to leave the place very long when it's for sale.

It's a great drive from SF, you can take 280 or 1 to 92, 92 up to the top, then cruise south on 35 about 30 miles (a really fun road) to Hwy 9. Right on 9 for about eight miles of outstanding road, best in CA as far as I'm concerned. I've been driving it for 35 years and it's one of the things I'll truly miss. But, other roads, other adventures right? Send me a PM if you're interested, I'll show you the project. The road is much more fun on weekdays and I'm here 24/7 unless I have to go down to Paso so if you're open on a weekday let me know? Fewer Sunday drivers on Wednesdays...

Hopefully Jim, aka Oddjob, will chime in, but if not mistaken, the M637-spec Firehawk cars ran with 25.5mm TBs...same bars were carried over to the M030-optioned 951/968.

Definitely. We'll make an afternoon of it?

Photo of progressive front spring and rear Koni coil over damper from M637-optioned M754 Turbo Cup...
Thanks much. I've been wanting to install rear coilovers but got conflicting info on whether they'd be legal in a stock class. As long as the factory installed them on the Firehawks, my understanding is they're OK. I just put in a fresh set of Koni Sport dampers in the rear with matching sport struts in front, but I haven't changed springs or torsion bars. I'll likely keep it this way for a year or so before going to the next level.

Scott.
Old 10-11-2016 | 02:41 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
How long have you had the 930? Would you do it again?
Scott, adopted Helena in 1997 with 15k...Guards/Champagne. She turned 30k earlier this year.

Have driven a 911, 912, 914, 924, 928, 931, 944, 964, 968, 993, and 996...nothing compares to the overall experience [sights, sounds, smells] of driving a 930. Something about a turbo-charged, air-cooled, flat-six...

Granted, she had not been around the block many times before I adopted her, she is as tight and solid as a bank vault. There is a distinct ch-ching when closing her door, sending a pressure wave to your eardrums ~100ms later. Not a noticeable sound, rattle, or vibration under any driving condition.

My favorite view...though, in reality, I'm more of a leg man.
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2016 | 02:59 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

I've been wanting to install rear coilovers but got conflicting info on whether they'd be legal in a stock class. As long as the factory installed them on the Firehawks, my understanding is they're OK.
What venue are you referring to...PCA, POC, NASA, SCCA?

In PCA, 944 turbos run in E stock, 944 turbo Ss run in F stock, and the M637-spec M758 Turbo Cup cars run in G stock. Believe S2s run in same class as 944 turbos, E stock, correct? Replicating the M637 club sport handling package would undoubtedly push you up at least one class to F stock.
Old 10-15-2016 | 10:19 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

What venue are you referring to...PCA, POC, NASA, SCCA?

In PCA, 944 turbos run in E stock, 944 turbo Ss run in F stock, and the M637-spec M758 Turbo Cup cars run in G stock. Believe S2s run in same class as 944 turbos, E stock, correct? Replicating the M637 club sport handling package would undoubtedly push you up at least one class to F stock.
Hey Allen -

Thanks for the breakdown on the different class requirements, it makes things a bit more clear. I'm aiming for PCA right now.

The day after you wrote that message I took a fall and fractured my spine (L3). It's been a bad couple of months. My doc won't let me work on the car for another month at least. Back in Paso Robles waiting for an MRI appt. so no pictures and no idea when I'll be back in Big Basin. Sigh.

Nice shot of that 930 I like that angle myself...

Scott.
Old 10-17-2016 | 06:34 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

The day after you wrote that message I took a fall.
Scott, sorry to hear that. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Please send me a PM when you make it back up to Big Basin.

Quick Reply: Racer's Edge adjustable drop link installation: 944 S2