Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 02:27 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Light Problem

Does one fuse run all of the "running lights"? Here's the gig...Started the car this morning, and flipped the lights on to running lights (no headlights). Nothing happened, so I flipped the switch to headlights, and they popped up and lit without a problem. Only the headlights came on, no dash, or running lights.

When I turned them off, they wouldn't go back down. So I turned the car off-and down they went. Brake lights, etc seem to operate normally, but the antennae doesn't work. I checked the fuses in the box under the dash, and all seemed fine-nothing blown.

Anybody got any idears?
Old 10-20-2003, 03:07 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Yeah, I've been thinking about it, and I am guessing your headlight switch might be suspect.

Regards,
Old 10-20-2003, 03:12 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Light switch, eh. How do I check the switch?
Old 10-20-2003, 04:30 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by HY M8NC
Light switch, eh. How do I check the switch?
When you turn it on none of the lights come on.

The running lights are fused per side on the 83. Fuses 13 and 14. So if both sides go out it's not the fuses, it's the switch.

If this was a problem with the turn signals you would look at the e-flasher relay and/or the turn signal switch behind the steering wheel.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:33 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nice Tardis picture SoCal-I guess there are still Doctor Who fans out there. Soooo-it would be the switch is what it sounds. I'll yank it out and bang it on the ground to try and fix it..then I'll go buy a new one.

Thanks guy's.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:31 AM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Befor you undertake any drastic action...
Check for power on the switch, your antenna is dead as well, so maybe an fuse in the control circuit or an tapping from the X-relay died.
TakeCare
Old 10-21-2003, 08:01 AM
Martin
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check for loose plugs at the rear of the fuse box, same symptoms
Old 10-21-2003, 10:02 AM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well, I pulled the headlight switch-and then I check the thread to see these suggestions. I am going to need to check the antenna, it seems totally unrelated to the lights. It acts more like a loose connection.

Is there any way I can test the switch? It's only $50 at Performance Products, but that's more than I want to spend to diagnose.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:41 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by Hans
Befor you undertake any drastic action...
Check for power on the switch, your antenna is dead as well, so maybe an fuse in the control circuit or an tapping from the X-relay died.
TakeCare
85.5 onward has the X relay. This is an 83.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:46 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by HY M8NC
Well, I pulled the headlight switch-and then I check the thread to see these suggestions. I am going to need to check the antenna, it seems totally unrelated to the lights. It acts more like a loose connection.

Is there any way I can test the switch? It's only $50 at Performance Products, but that's more than I want to spend to diagnose.
Use an ohm meter or a test light. Largest lug is usually power in.

You can also test for power at the fuses for the side marker lights with a test light and not have to pull the switch. Aux fuses 3 and 5 are for the cooling fans and always have battery power to them. Use a jumper clipped to one and clip it to the appropriate fuse on the plastic covered longer fuse block. Check www.clarks-garage.com for a diagram of the early fuse blocks.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:07 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks SoCal-
I'll let you guy's know what I find.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:06 AM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Welll---the story continues.

I replaced the headlight switch, not it. Did I mention that the turn signals don't work? It's like the running lights aren't getting power. Relay?
Old 10-26-2003, 05:17 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Anybody got a suggestion? I decided to check the connections on the back of the fuse panel. It might be a good lead, I mesed with it for a while, then decided to go in-and the lights worked-for about 10 seconds. The frustration is growing...
Old 10-26-2003, 05:28 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Electrical problems are a pain if they want to be. You need to get the electical diagrams at Pelican, print them out and do some serious study.

There really isn't that much to electrical other than stepping through the logic of the circuits. A test light and volt/ohm meter helps bunch.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:31 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I feel your pain! Electrical gremlins can be a whole lot of fun to chase down!

I decided to check the connections on the back of the fuse panel. It might be a good lead, I mesed with it for a while, then decided to go in-and the lights worked-for about 10 seconds.
Just like Sid says all the time......"Check your grounds" (or something like that)

Kinda sounds like a poor connection/ground somewhere in that area. Have you been checking and cleaning the ground points on your car as you go? Directly above the fuse block is one, maybe two on your car, grounding spade type connector trees that provide the main grounding points for the fuse block area. You might want to check/clean these connections. Other very important ground points to check/clean are battery post, main engine ground at bell housing/firewall, grounding points on the frame next to each headlight bucket (and while your there, look for bad/fractured wires going to headlights), and even the one behind the carpet at the back of the car next to the left rear tail light. I do suggest checking/cleaning these ground points as the first step to chasing down any electrical gremlins.
Also check that the tabs holding the fuses in are not corroded, and are tight on the fuses. If the above does not resolve the problem, then the real fun begins! But at least you have eliminated one possible headache, and it doesn't cost ya anything, just a little time.
Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Light Problem