Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The most seized clutch fork pin ever

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 12:57 AM
I <3 enginerding
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FROZEN CLUTCH FOR PIN

It seems I may have had worse than anyone so far but, good news, I concocted the most fool proof method yet. I tried slamming a slide hammer for an hour, torching the bell housing, slide hammering some more, using a bolt to clamp against a deep well socket to draw the pin out. With the last technique I was able to pull the pin out a quarter inch before it stripped the first 4 threads straight out of the pin.

What worked for me was to remove the bell housing with the PP still attached. There is a hole in the bell housing which you can easily access the back of the pin and bash it out with a hammer and punch.

You can remove the PP by removing the 6mm Allen head bolts that hold the PP to the flywheel. Reach through the hole in the bellhousing where the starter sits to access the bolts. I had somebody lay in front of the car and rotate the crank as I removed the bolts. It took me about 15 minutes to undo the bolts, drop the bell housing and bash the pin out.

This was surprisingly easy and I was able to do the hard work on my bench. Next time if the slide hammer doesn't work I'm going straight to this method. It certainly beats laying on your back getting ****ed by a hard rod for 2 hours.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:41 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

i bet you could drill a small hole in the BH at the other end of the pin for future punch-hammering...
Old 07-08-2017, 12:21 PM
kens_74911s
Racer

Default Fork Pin removal - back driving it

Originally Posted by I <3 enginerding
There is a hole in the bell housing which you can easily access the back of the pin and bash it out with a hammer and punch.
It works even better if you pound the stop pin out first using a small diameter punch, drive it through into the bell housing. The small pin in the bell housing stops the pivot pin insertion depth. If you don't pound it out, it obstructs the available punch diameter to get to the back side of the pivot pin.
When the pivot pin is removed, locate the stop pin (that fell into the bell housing) and press it back in. Stop pin pointed out below.

K
Old 07-10-2017, 11:42 PM
CVR_Rally
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job. The 83 was stuck in a bad way and eventually I had to use rebar and hammer it out from the opposite end.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:23 AM
evildrome
1st Gear

My next door neighbor came to me exasperated by a stuck clutch fork pin.

I made him this as an emergency measure and he has used it successfully now on the original problem clutch and another one.

IIRC its a length of 12mm all thread with a short length at the end turned and threaded 8mm for the pin.

The piece of 3/4 hex rod is tapped 12mm and is used as the jackout nut.

Cheers,

Wilson Logan.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:57 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by evildrome
My next door neighbor came to me exasperated by a stuck clutch fork pin.

I made him this as an emergency measure and he has used it successfully now on the original problem clutch and another one.

IIRC its a length of 12mm all thread with a short length at the end turned and threaded 8mm for the pin.

The piece of 3/4 hex rod is tapped 12mm and is used as the jackout nut.

Cheers,

Wilson Logan.
I have one of those in my "Special Porsche Tools" drawer.

Quick Reply: The most seized clutch fork pin ever