Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The most seized clutch fork pin ever

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:20 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The most seized clutch fork pin ever

what tricks have worked for you guys in getting a stuck pin out? I'm trying to free the pressure plate from the bell housing and I have it on my bench. I've tried everything. I've soaked it in PB blaster, I've heated the pin with a propane torch, I've tried a bigass slide hammer. I tried beating the pin out from the top where it's visible opposite where you thread the puller bolt in, I've tried drawing it out with a big socket and washer against the bellhousing, I've tried using a prybar and a 3 lb hammer against said washer/big socket setup. The thing hasn't even budged. Looking into the bellhousing it's obvious the pin is seized badly to the bearings and I don't care about destroying the pin, the fork, or even the bellhousing at this point. I just want the pressure plate and throwout bearing intact. I'm about to perform surgery on the bellhousing with my cutoff wheel. Does anyone have any sage advice I havn't tried yet before I sacrifice this thing to the Porsche gods?

God I ****ing hate this NA. I feel like I'm losing my mind fighting this thing at every step to bring it back to life.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:50 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I had one like that on my 968. I took a flat steel bar (about 3/8 " thick) and drilled a hole in the middle of it. Braced the bar on the ends so that is was about one inch under the pin. Put the bolt through the bar and into the pin and start turning and it pulled the pin out.

I wish I had a picture, started to make one when I did it.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:55 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Charlie
I had one like that on my 968. I took a flat steel bar (about 3/8 " thick) and drilled a hole in the middle of it. Braced the bar on the ends so that is was about one inch under the pin. Put the bolt through the bar and into the pin and start turning and it pulled the pin out.

I wish I had a picture, started to make one when I did it.
Charlie I'm not sure I understand? currently the pin is still flush with the outside of the bellhousing, so I'm not sure what you mean by getting the end under the pin? Could you perhaps elaborate or make a crude MS paint drawing to help illustrate?
Old 06-29-2016, 10:08 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

My best bet was making something like this, but even that didn't work. I had to stop because the bolt started to neck down and I was afraid of snapping it off in the fork pin.

http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/inde...8#.V3RwiNWEDIU
Old 06-29-2016, 10:13 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

It looks something like this. This might be the one I used. The steel bar would fit to where the center was about an inch or more below the pin. I don't think I had to use any kind of shim on the ends to keep it away from the pin. I may have had to use a longer bolt. Turn slowly and do some tapping on the bolt and it will pull the pin out. I'm not very good at explaining.

Put a washer next to the bolt head.
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2016, 10:29 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doug, I marked my bolt so that I would know when I was all the way into the pin and no more thread. Don't run out of thread and break the bolt off in the pin. Seems as if I used 2 or 3 different length bolts but it made the job real easy. I had worked for and hour and had never got it to move.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:35 PM
plyhammer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sledgehammer

Just end it and get a new fork pin and bellhousing. Kill it
Old 06-29-2016, 11:27 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by plyhammer
Just end it and get a new fork pin and bellhousing. Kill it
I'm disgusted, I dont want to look at it anymore tonight. I stripped the threads off 4 bolts attempting to "jack" it out, I don't know what alloy steel the pin is made of but its hard as hell. Even my air hammer with 120 psi behind it only managed to scar the hell out of the opposite end of the pin but didn't budge it. Tomorrow I'm going to take a cutoff wheel to it, there is simply no way its coming out. It's welded to the fork bearings. I have a spare fork, pin, and bell housing.

Last edited by Dougs951S; 06-29-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:13 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

The 968 may bell housing may be a little different. This is a picture of the bar and the bolt going into the pin . Threaded rod would be better screwing it into the pin and then turning the nut against the bar to pull the pin. This is not a good picture but will give you the idea. I can't look at my 944 so the bellhousing might be different In the picture the bolt is too large and would not go into the pin, if you look closely it is not straight. Threaded rod would be the way to go and screw it all the way into the pin then it would not strip. The nut against the bar might strip but I would give it a try.
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2016, 12:25 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

You did take out the locking bolt that holds it in place, right?

I've never had one that the slide hammer didn't budge...
Old 06-30-2016, 12:25 AM
mpd425
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
My best bet was making something like this, but even that didn't work. I had to stop because the bolt started to neck down and I was afraid of snapping it off in the fork pin.

http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/inde...8#.V3RwiNWEDIU
this is how I removed my pin. If you are going to destroy the bell housing with a grinder why worry about snapping it off in the pin, Mine was corroded also but ir was to the bell housing, using a little force it popped then was easy to remove. The pin is heat treated steel and mine had groves on one side from the bearing in the fork.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:33 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Van
You did take out the locking bolt that holds it in place, right?

I've never had one that the slide hammer didn't budge...
LOL. Fair question but yes

Van, I've done over a dozen clutch jobs on 944's, never had one that took more than 5 minutes to remove either. This one has resisted all but complete nuclear annihilation. I can't wait to get it out and post pictures.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:00 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Sounds like it's time to cut it off!
Old 06-30-2016, 01:39 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Victory is mine. I ended up using a deep 16mm thin wall socket with a long grade 12.9 bolt and some washers and cranking on it with a 24" breaker bar figuring if the bolt broke, out would come the grinder. To my surprise, it slid out. Even more shockingly; after cleaning all the grease and liquified rust off the shaft it appears totally fine...reusable in my opinion. Doesnt even have marks on it from the roller bearings like most of the pins I've taken out. The bearings were totally shot though, the rollers practically fell out of the races once the pin slid out. Thanks for the encouragement and letting me vent gentleman!
Old 06-30-2016, 07:58 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good work Doug!

Quick Reply: The most seized clutch fork pin ever