Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long time Shark Owner, buys a 944.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 07:20 AM
GuardsRedHammerhead
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

The exhaust is aftermarket stainless 3" and blithering obnoxious! There is no sneaking out of my neighborhood in the morning.

P.O. had the engine "Performance" rebuilt, and they installed the exhaust at that time.

Seats are grubby, but I have a detail shop handling that soon.

Original owner was pretty ****. Dash was replaced with a new Maroon dash in 2004. Have the receipt.

Steering wheel was replaced at the same time.

Has an Alpine Stereo head unit. The previous owner gave me the original Blaupunkt Reno in a box.

Also, has a Saratoga top in excellent condition.

This was a relatively base car, which I am totally fine with. There is minimal to break, and no clunky rear wiper motor to burn out. All switches work, including factory alarm.

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
Congrats on the purchase, looks tidy! Any interior photos?

Looks like it has an aftermarket exhaust - not sure how good or bad it sounds - but I would put an original back on
Old 06-17-2016, 07:22 AM
GuardsRedHammerhead
Racer

Old 06-17-2016, 06:30 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Actually this is NOT a relatively base car.

You have on your option code tag two bundling groups I mentioned earlier. These will consist of option group codes normally not seen on base cars.

A base 944 consists of no LSD, no headlight washers or rear wiper, no sunroof, plain base seats in either a vinyl or cloth surface. No alarm or side trim, no upgraded stereo such as a Reno. ( think a Blaupunkt 2002 instead. ) A base car would have 15 inch phone dials and single stage paint instead of the more expensive metallic. Your car has the paint in brown which should be metallic.

Script seats were extra I believe as were partial leather, full leather, berber tweed, or pasha. Series two cars never got the berber or pasha but pinstripe velour cloth came as a base seat option.

Don't you have access to the original Monroney sticker , as this would ascertain what is in those group options in that A and L three digit code ?

Believe me, this is far from being a base 944. You also have the sport suspension group which was a fairly uncommon and costly extra. M456 and later known as M474.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:31 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Actually this is NOT a relatively base car. You also have the sport suspension group which was a fairly uncommon and costly extra. M456 and later known as M474.
Agree with Don, this is not really a base car.

M454...automatic speed control [cruise]
M456...sport dampers with front/rear sway bars
M533...anti-theft device [alarm]
M650...detachable roof [sunroof]
M946...seats with leather centers and leatherette bolsters

Those look more like M990 front buckets [added by a PO]. Suspect your rear seats do not match the front script seats. Rear seats are probably all leather/leatherette, correct?

M456 was a code used only on 944/1 cars and combined M404 front/rear sways with M474 sport dampers [Koni]. That code was never used on 944/2 cars because they all came with front/rear sways. The M474 sport damper option, though, did carry over to the /2 cars.

Nice find.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:29 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Agree with Don, this is not really a base car.

M454...automatic speed control [cruise]
M456...sport dampers with front/rear sway bars
M533...anti-theft device [alarm]
M650...detachable roof [sunroof]
M946...seats with leather centers and leatherette bolsters

Those look more like M990 front buckets [added by a PO]. Suspect your rear seats do not match the front script seats. Rear seats are probably all leather/leatherette, correct?

M456 was a code used only on 944/1 cars and combined M404 front/rear sways with M474 sport dampers [Koni]. That code was never used on 944/2 cars because they all came with front/rear sways. The M474 sport damper option, though, did carry over to the /2 cars.

Nice find.
But, there are '85.2 cars WITH the M456 option. Sport shocks, Sport springs and the heavy duty front and rear sway bars.

Because I have one .....it came that way from the factory and has the white build code tag listing 456 on the options. Perhaps this changed permanently after that transition year, because as Allen mentioned above, the code M456 has not been seen, (at least by me) on series 2 - 944 sports cars again. It changes to the M474.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:35 AM
GuardsRedHammerhead
Racer

But, there are '85.2 cars WITH the M456 option. Sport shocks, Sport springs and the heavy duty front and rear sway bars.

Because I have one .....
Mine is an 85.5. That M456 is on my option sticker.

I found a receipt for a blown shock in my records. Owner replaced with Koni's. I will have to check the part number on the Koni's that he put on.

I keep finding goodies hiding in it.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:49 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

THOSE are good items rarely seen in their unused entirety today.

Don't open the bag with the disposable gloves, or use that drop cloth. I have only ever once seen that case open up and still have it's white plastic gauge protector still covering the lens.

There are people in the Concours world who would give a sack full of money, their left leg, a couple of digits off their hand, and maybe a gonad for this group.

They simply are never, and I mean NEVER found today, 30 plus years after their production.

Do you have the original book for the glove box in vinyl with option codes listed in the warranty book ? Or how about the plastic embossed first owner's name plate which the Service Advisor used to imprint your invoices on warranty work ?

Antennae wiper ( if it has a mast antennae instead of the windshield one ) in a foil baggie or the tire pressure gauge in a vinyl pouch, as some 944 second series have been seen with them in there.

And the owner's manual , IF original to the car , will be labeled on the cover exactly what this car is: an '85.2 model. This designation is written on the booklet covers of ONLY the latter run of '85 - 944s and not seen again until the Silver Rose edition and subsequent 'colored' model '88 cars and listed as
'88.2 on the turbo S owner's manual.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:41 PM
GuardsRedHammerhead
Racer

Nope, I have nothing else that you mention. Bummer. Your post, here, sent me outside on a looting rampage in the trunk and glove box.

All, I have left other than original spare and a toolkit, is....

Saratoga Top in the Maroon case.

Embossed floor mats.

Porsche bra in a silver carry bag.

THOSE are good items rarely seen in their unused entirety today.

Don't open the bag with the disposable gloves, or use that drop cloth. I have only ever once seen that case open up and still have it's white plastic gauge protector still covering the lens.

There are people in the Concours world who would give a sack full of money, their left leg, a couple of digits off their hand, and maybe a gonad for this group.

They simply are never, and I mean NEVER found today, 30 plus years after their production.

Do you have the original book for the glove box in vinyl with option codes listed in the warranty book ? Or how about the plastic embossed first owner's name plate which the Service Advisor used to imprint your invoices on warranty work ?

Antennae wiper ( if it has a mast antennae instead of the windshield one ) in a foil baggie or the tire pressure gauge in a vinyl pouch, as some 944 second series have been seen with them in there.

And the owner's manual , IF original to the car , will be labeled on the cover exactly what this car is: an '85.2 model. This designation is written on the booklet covers of ONLY the latter run of '85 - 944s and not seen again until the Silver Rose edition and subsequent 'colored' model '88 cars and listed as
'88.2 on the turbo S owner's manual.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:49 PM
GuardsRedHammerhead
Racer

Oh, and he gave me EVERY part that ever came off of it.

Wiper arms, broken foglights, TWO hood ornaments, including one that looks bronze, with no paint. RENO stereo, old seat switch bodies, etc. etc .etc

Old 06-18-2016, 02:15 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Your car is Mahogany Metallic, and seems to have a bit more of a maroon cast to the paint than other Porsche metallic browns such as the brown offered on '82/'83 Anniversary cars which is a Sable Brown.

Probably why the maroon seating and interior trim is so appealing in this brown car, pulling the color from the exterior and blending it in.

Nice score on the goodies..... maybe you should call the seller back and ask if he knows where the other stuff is. ( It will no doubt only get sold on eBay or tossed in a bin when relatives clean out the house and garage when it's time. ) Yes, I have seen worse.

---- like the guy half way around the golf course from me in the city, who moved to Phoenix and his family put his FUCHS wheels on the curb along with a bunch of other stuff. I came around the circle and saw some guy loading everything up in his car, stopped to ask and he said he felt sorry for the family's lack of interest in keeping any of the guy's 911 stuff, so he gave them 100 bucks and took it all with him.

Well, better than going to the landfill.

BUT not as good as if they would have gone in my trunk instead of his......
Old 06-20-2016, 03:25 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Don, I probably misspoke here. I was thinking '85-'86, but wrote 944/1-944/2, instead.

Have you ever seen an '86, or later, /2 with the M456 option?
Old 06-20-2016, 12:19 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

No, as I mentioned above in my previous post, I have not personally seen one in an '86. The last year and model noted was as in this car owned by hammerhead, my own 85.2 and am sure the rest of the 85.2 model range. Not to say someone out there doesn't have an '86 M456 but I have never seen one......

As with Porsche, never say never. There always seems to be a change to the order or to the way things are done. I think this happened a bit more frequently in the earlier years on 356 and 911, 914 cars when more hand work was involved. Until the advent of more robotic and computer controlled assembly with technology sourced from the Japanese ( Toyota ) regarding 'Just-in-time' delivery and Kaisan think, much if not all assembly was hands on with personal involvement including mistakes. Human error seen in mis-stamped body numbers ( go to "Early 911s Registry" forums and see some of those discussions there ! ) and mis-aligned body panels. ( Ever take measurements on the outside body regarding wheel fitment, suspension settings on an early 911 ? ) One side, usually the right hand side, sits way closer than the other. Handbuilt...... and the issues it entails.

This is even more pronounced in the Ferrari world, as one can physically stand back and note the differences of openings, trim fit, grille irregularities, and of body fit in general. Then there are the stories of folks taking apart their windshield frames during restoration and finding the A-pillar assemblies weigh a ton. Well, they are formed and filled with pretty much solid lead around the metal framework, each car differently.....

Kind of a long way around in saying: With handbuilt, low assembly number production cars, just about anything will be seen.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:25 AM
Stout 944
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 86 M456

I’m dusting off an old post here. But to the I’m sure someone may have an 86 with the M456 option, here you go.

regular yellow konis in the rear. Blue dot springs in the front, with what looks like to me replaced shocks by the PO.
The following users liked this post:
mazdaverx7 (10-16-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 03:39 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

That would be a first...an '86 optioned with M456 dampers/sways. Cannot wait for Don to get a load of this!

When you get the chance, please post up a few more interior/exterior photos of your car.
The following users liked this post:
mazdaverx7 (10-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Long time Shark Owner, buys a 944.