Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS-style door panels

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 12:15 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, where are you at with this Skip?
Old 11-22-2003, 12:30 AM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: RS-style door panels

Originally posted by 944S2NUT
Don't RS door panels have pull tabs to open the doors?
Yes. That would ber VERY awesome if we could get some pull tabs!
Old 11-22-2003, 12:54 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DIW - response from one company indicated they "might" have a go at it again, but they gave up in the first round. No reply from the other. I'd love to see it happen, but not at "any" cost.

The big problem is that the door panel is all one piece, and that the top molded piece has to remain in some form. So, either create a whole door mold (expensive), or, have the customer hack up their door to add a lower panel (no, thanks). I am not even going to entertain the thought of a core program... too many variances.

If anyone would like to run with this, please do.

The good news: the manual window kit will be listed shortly.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:01 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, thanks for having a go, and keep at it if it is worth it to do.

Re. the regulators, etc. - put me down for a right window kit. Maybe for some parts for the left window as well (like the crank)
Old 11-22-2003, 02:49 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

where will i find the best price on flat sheets of carbon fiber? im thinking of just cutting teh top of a stock panel off and doing the flat part in carbon bolted to it.
Old 11-22-2003, 03:11 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

dan...Ive been meaning to pm you. I just started swapping my panels out, I should have both out tommorow. You want pics? They look great but where the window switches attach to the panel there has always been a gap. i dont know why but when I test fitted the 968 panels with the switches there was no gap.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:41 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

so whats the word on the panels?ive been running my car without door panels for a while(cardboard panels somehow got musshy)
Old 12-02-2003, 10:04 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Dan Gallagher
where will i find the best price on flat sheets of carbon fiber? im thinking of just cutting teh top of a stock panel off and doing the flat part in carbon bolted to it.
Dan- I've never heard of anyone selling flat sheets of finished carbon fibre- JUST the cloth- comes in rolls- cut by the foot, etc & YOU have to cure it, etc... I would REALLY like to find sheets already done, so I could cut some small circular plugs out of it- wanting to cover up a few places inside the car- specifically the rear bolt holes from where ther rear seat belt anchors attached- BEFORE I removed them... other similar style things- I've never been able to find anything of the sort though & even still, probably wouldn't find any sheets that looked the way I wanted- there are many dif patterns of CF so you really have to know what you're looking for- twills & such are the ones that usually have the best striped effect, but there ARE many others- dif weights (thread counts?), etc too...

IF you find anything like this, PLEASE let me know- otherwise, the best place I know of is the place in Hawaii- I can get the specifics if you need- PM me- I got a sample kit from them long ago- great little kit BTW- had ~12 pieces, including some Kevlar & carbon kevlar patterns... ~4x6" swatches- would be enough to do the plugs I want, BUT, I would have to finish it myself & doubt I could do a good job... Anyway....
Old 12-02-2003, 10:24 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a place that sells finished sheets. They make carbon bodied cars. Search fleabay, they advertise there often but their website appears to be very legit.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:41 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

COOL! I'll try to find them... If not too pricey, that might be an excellent solution for me- nice & simple...
Old 12-02-2003, 10:57 AM
Matt H
Race Director

I think the sheets were pretty cheap, like 60 bucks for a 4X4 sheet. I could be wrong but I remember looking at their website thinking, wow, that is cheap!
Old 12-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Originally posted by Robby
Dan- I've never heard of anyone selling flat sheets of finished carbon fibre- JUST the cloth- comes in rolls- cut by the foot, etc & YOU have to cure it, etc... I would REALLY like to find sheets already done, so I could cut some small circular plugs out of it- wanting to cover up a few places inside the car- specifically the rear bolt holes from where ther rear seat belt anchors attached- BEFORE I removed them... other similar style things- I've never been able to find anything of the sort though & even still, probably wouldn't find any sheets that looked the way I wanted- there are many dif patterns of CF so you really have to know what you're looking for- twills & such are the ones that usually have the best striped effect, but there ARE many others- dif weights (thread counts?), etc too...

IF you find anything like this, PLEASE let me know- otherwise, the best place I know of is the place in Hawaii- I can get the specifics if you need- PM me- I got a sample kit from them long ago- great little kit BTW- had ~12 pieces, including some Kevlar & carbon kevlar patterns... ~4x6" swatches- would be enough to do the plugs I want, BUT, I would have to finish it myself & doubt I could do a good job... Anyway....

www.carbontrix.com door panel size sheets are too expensive
Old 12-02-2003, 03:27 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Dan Gallagher
www.carbontrix.com door panel size sheets are too expensive
Yeah- I just measured my Turbo S door panels- they're conveniently sitting in my room: ~19.5" X 40" (at their largest sections). So, you really have no choice (b/c of the length), but to buy TWO of the largest pieces- 48x36 @ $220/ea. BUT- you said something about doing just from the upper section down, IIRC(?)- the upper section is ~6" wide (the panels taper & aren't perfectly straight, etc, but my measurements are pretty close). SOOO- IF just that section, you only need ~14" x 40" sections, so you could concievably get BOTH panels from ONE large piece & still have a tiny bit left over- just a thought- would STILL be $220, but, new Porsche panels are a LOT more! A new pr of 968 door panels run ~$1400 & THAT is w/OUT ANYTHING else- you add pockets (@ $300/ea) w/armrests, door handle inserts, hardware & you'll EASILY break $2K- add speakers, etc, & you're out >$2500- I think I got a good deal on mine for $500, which included ALL of the above... that's ONE thing I did well on w/this car...

SOOOO- anyone else know of any cheaper places to buy finished carbon fibre sheets that Dan (& possibly I) can try?

BTW- Dan- IF you decide to buy one of the large sheets to do both door panels, you SHOULD STILL have some lefft over- 2 x 14 = 28, so a TOTAL of <30" x 40" & the sheet is 36 x 48, so, you should have a 6" x 8" sheet left- not much, but I would pitch in on the sheet & buy it from you- we can pro-rate it(?) ACTUALLY, that MIGHT be enough to make a full panel for the backside of the glove box door- I'm DYING to get rid of that ugly-*** AB warning sign & heavy (for what it is) panel- the whole thing's made of metal- I REALLY want someone who can work w/this stuff to make a mold for the backside of the glove box door (ESPECIALLY for later cars WITH AB's) that mimicks the earlier cars w/cup holders, ONLY, make them DEEPER so they'd actually be worth something- any ideas here? Otherwise I only need some scrap pieces- the largest plug I need is ~2" in diamter, so I'm not willing to spend that much $ on the stuff....

Last edited by Robby; 12-02-2003 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:34 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

i never took any measurements so i assumed i would need 2 large pieces ($440)

if i can do both doors out of one piece ($220) by reusing the top half of the cores i will probably do it soon, i also have no idea how much it costs to ship something that big to me from carbontrix
Old 12-02-2003, 06:05 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I was not talking about Carbontrix, they are very high. I will try to find the link tonight.

Quick Reply: RS-style door panels