Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS-style door panels

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 06:13 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure yet, but probably vinyl-covered fiberboard similar to that in the rest of the car. Possibly molded plastic.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:27 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

From a sound persective the fiberboard is probably better. I have to think a hard plastic is going to resonate and actually amplify road noise.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:03 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sure, 2 weeks ago i want to do this for myself and i figured noone would care, now skip wants to do it and your all excited!

:P

skip, just cut the tops off old panels and pre make these so you can sell them plug and play, sell them like you do with the koni strut modifications, charge for the cores.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dan, if you or anyone else wants the ball, I'll pass... I've got loads of other stuff I could be doing, like driving

I'd rather not get into the cores game with these. There are so many variations and colors that it would be a real nightmare. The struts keep me up at night already - dam'd mismatched sets and Bilsteins
Old 10-17-2003, 07:12 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

if the price is right im definately in!
Old 10-17-2003, 09:14 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm intrigued, if I could get the door pulls done in Speed Yellow it would add a touch of color to the interior.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:52 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is good stuff. Like Dan, I have been thinking about this for some time now but never bother to say anything about it. I have always loved the purpose form follows function look of the RS/RSA door skins.

I like the idea of the single piece panel that doesn't need to have a donor panel, and the gap doesn't really bother me. I also like the strap door pull and feel the vinyl covered fiberboard is the way to go.

Old 10-17-2003, 10:57 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice pic of an RS America skin.
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2003, 08:26 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Why not place the door pull further back towards the opening of the door, where it should be? The Germans have always been weird w/that- since the regular cars don't even have door handles- just "oh sh**" handles that are dual purpose- the leverage makes no sense way up front & you have people slamming your door all the time as a result- harder to control... Not sure that this would be much of a factor w/race panels, but, if going through the trouble...
Old 10-18-2003, 08:38 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay, now I HAVE to ask- the RS America & the other RS-type, look pretty cool- the RS America (last picture) shows a little pull thing underneath another handle thing- why two? Is that what it IS? Also, the thing above the handles- looks like a tweeter- is that a mirror adjuster? Seems kind of silly for a minimalist set-up- why not just push the glasss itself & save the extra 1lb or so of linkage b/t the inside & the mirror...?

The speaker- anyone know the size? I assume 5.25"? IF some ring spacers could be made to push it on into the car enough, & did NOT interfere w/the dash corner (& this far down, I doubt it would like in the 944), then you could have a decent speaker too (6.5), but, that isn't exactly the idea for a race car I know- of course, IF using it for racing & STILL wanting stereo, then, why not go larger? You'd be able to hear it better & it really doesn't add much weight (IF ANY) assuming you pick the right speakers... Anyway, just observations- I think I need to design my own car... I'll do it MY WAY (like Bob Hope) & sell them for $300K, no, $500K, no, let's go a cool $mil, like the McClaren's- whose game? I'm thinking quiet like a 540i but w/800+HP/TQ & weighing less than 2400lbs w/full interior, ceramic brakes, titanium, magnesium, billet aluminum, carbon fibre, (& all the other cool sounding materials) everywhere possible & EVERYTHING thought out just RIGHT- for me anyway
Old 10-18-2003, 01:02 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Originally posted by Robby
Okay, now I HAVE to ask- the RS America & the other RS-type, look pretty cool- the RS America (last picture) shows a little pull thing underneath another handle thing- why two? Is that what it IS? Also, the thing above the handles- looks like a tweeter- is that a mirror adjuster? Seems kind of silly for a minimalist set-up- why not just push the glasss itself & save the extra 1lb or so of linkage b/t the inside & the mirror...?
the handle is a handle, that is what you would grab to close the door. the pull thing is a pull thing, if you tug on it the door will open.

above those is a twisty thing that locks/unlocks the door.

technical terms eh?
Old 10-18-2003, 01:15 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Dan Gallagher
the handle is a handle, that is what you would grab to close the door. the pull thing is a pull thing, if you tug on it the door will open.

above those is a twisty thing that locks/unlocks the door.

technical terms eh?
Yeah, you gotta be technical But seriously, the little pull-thingy: you mean that is what's used instead of a latch? I don't see a plastic one like in the normal cars, so I guess that's it, but that's surprising- could that workl for the 944's? would it be any harder to hook up? It's just unique- I've never seen that before- almost have to wonder about it's durability, but I guess it would be fine for a few years at least. That's pretty wild- I guess that strap saves an ounce or two, but just barely- the plastic handle w/trim is EXTREMELY light by itself, but, I guess every little bit helps. huh?

So then, is that round tweeter-looking thing the mirror adjustment or something else entirely? It seems a little far back for the mirror- almost in the location of factory door handles(?)... Strange...any more info?

Old 10-18-2003, 03:38 PM
sushinav
Instructor

Skip,
You mentioned there were panels made similar to this for 944/968s, any pics? How did the 924 Carrera GT/GTS panels look?

I like the idea, we need more weight saving ideas. 951 RS is a great concept, but don't like the idea of hacking original panels up. Maybe contact Coverlay or Paughco (?) industries in Nevada (GPR sells these). They do molded door panels and dash covers in ABS I think. I have a Paughco dash cap, better than the coverlay. But I know these guys already do full replacement door panels for many older american made trucks. Maybe have them do a run of panels on a mold you design, that way you'd have more time to drive and no one would have to slice up their own panels.

http://www.coverlaymfg.com/E_Store/D...reign/Porsche/
http://www.coverlaymfg.com/E_Store/Door_Panels/Ford/

But really if the weight saving turns out to be only a few pounds, then you are only talking about a "boutique" type item. And you'll attract the type of customer that wants carbon look, speed yellow, titanium spray paint finish blah blah blah. You don't want to change your name to "Poseur-gon" do you?

Just kidding, keep up the great ideas and work Skip.
Cheers,
Old 10-18-2003, 10:32 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Look out, here I come with fiberglass again.

If we are ditching the idea of hacking of the top to reuse it with a simple panel beneath yet we still want the upper section of whatever new panel to follow the line of the dash then FG may still be your best bet. Formed plastic (thermal vacuum formed?) will still require expensive tooling up to produce a form over which the panels will be made as will production from some sort of fiber board like the stock panels are made from.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:05 AM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Default Re: RS-style door panels

Originally posted by Skip
The topic regarding "manual window conversion" spawned another regarding the door skins and the possibility of getting some RS-style skins made for the 944/968. Some have been used in production 944/968 cars but are no longer available.

The skins are basically a lightweight version of what you have now, and may or may not make use of the top portion - TBD. These would be available for early and late model cars, and would likely have the manual window crank and speaker holes completely covered in vinyl, allowing you to customize or not. You would be able to use power or manual windows. Standard color would be black.

Here's a picture form the other thread for some frame of reference - the door pull would probably not look like that, but rather be the red or black nylon used on RS Americas and such:

What say you?
Don't RS door panels have pull tabs to open the doors?

Quick Reply: RS-style door panels