Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 01:45 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This is the original Monroney window option and price sticker required by Federal law to be attached to any new vehicle sold in the United States.

It isn't as pristine in condition as some of those I have for my other Porsches, but it is complete and tells a vast amount of information pertinent to the car's history.

( I just love this stuff and am so glad it came with this car along with the little booklet from the original owner, documenting the good and bad, the services, the purchases made to make this car what it is. I wouldn't have been privy to the info contained in that I82 Sport Touring Group if not for his writings in that little book, as little is recorded or retained on option lists for any of the 'H48, H50, H52, H54' groups or the 'I' groups associated with how Porsche marketed and bundled options in sales techniques.)

Old 06-08-2016, 01:50 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Old 06-08-2016, 05:43 AM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, this car is stunning! It's like a window into what these cars were like when they were new.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:23 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

That's really amazing that they grouped the options into one particular code like that. I'll have to be on the lookout for those particular codes when 944 hunting. Seeing this car makes me want to take a week off of work and drive across the country in one of my 944's and see this car in person, lol. Do you know any back story on the car? How did you find the car and how long have you owned it?
Old 06-08-2016, 08:33 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Joe, to the left are the two headlight covers for the Porsche bra. Which was carried when wet out or while stored, in the black vinyl bag to the right which has the title, bill of sale, and invoices on it.

The two items directly in front of the tool roll are the left and right mirror bras. They look unused as well except for a couple of bug splats on them. The fuzzy backing is as clean as your morning underwear before they go on your bottom.....

.....and Joe it would be an honor to show my car with yours on any field of 'dreams'.

Will you be at Jay Peak VT in a couple of weeks for Porsche Parade ? I regrettably will not make it due to family conflicts and a local event I plan to attend in Mpls.
Thanks for explanations MGJ and the especially the compliment to my car I'm not going to Jay's Peak. Even though I'm retired a couple of familial responsibilities keep me close to home for now. Maybe next year
Old 06-08-2016, 11:30 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Dave, to answer your question about 'backstory'..... ( as I am unraveling it bit by bit as I peel back those layers shrouded by the mists of time )

I saw this car a few years back, but not until late last fall did I know it was going to shake out and become sold to me. If even it was going to be sold at all.

There were apparently a few folks interested, and I had to come up from the other's offers a few times, but not as high as what the owner had been originally asking. He also has an automotive appraisal service and is licensed in 7 states to do business, so his evaluations were certainly at the far end of a fair market value. ( I got 'schooled' real fast.)

It took a few back and forths and about a few weeks of negotiations with the previous owner to come to a figure we could both live with, right around Christmas/New Years of the closeout of 2015.

As I get to know more about it's past before William owned it, I will reveal it with photos relating to the story. This much I am confident of: the previous owner was a bona-fide car enthusiast, who thru his connections in the world of collector cars, had been tipped off this was available. That owner chose to enjoy the car sparingly and for special occasions take it on short mountain drives around Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, and surrounding local landmarks. Showing it at PCA and other Sports Car events and driving it sparingly. According to the invoices I have sifted thru, he owned it since around '90 and somewhere around the 19,000 mile mark.

I notice on the invoices it had a stereo issue that was looked at several times by two different Porsche dealers, and had the oil cooler seals replaced as preventative maint. under warranty ( a recall ? ) It also had the left seat release button "repaired" and today it shows it's missing completely. I already have a new one to replace it...... they commonly break when folks try to single handedly tilt and release the seat instead of using two hands, one to release, the other to tilt the back forward. Resulting in the plastic **** splitting apart where it slides over the metal stem inside the seat.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:52 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Note the "factory duct tape" used to hold the stiff vinyl tubing which runs down the 'c' pillar of the car to drain the sunroof. There was a bit of discussion about this stuff over on the forum page started by CTK about his wonderful Sapphire colored, low mileage ( less than 4,000 mile ), barn find he started last fall here on Rennlist. All my 944s have this stuff as I am sure yours do as well, and it's kind of funny to see how much was used by Horst one shift and maybe by Bernhard the next. Some cars have maybe two inches and others five or six, some one patch, others 3 or more !

On this car there isn't any, nor any evidence of any used, in the right side fender well. If I remember from the pix CTK shared, there was a generous application of tape available to the workers the day his car was built; maybe cost trimming was the word in '86 ?

They had spray glue tho !

Old 06-08-2016, 12:08 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

The unused ashtray and pristine console cover.......

Yeah, they weren't called 'armrests', which usually became the result. And when folks wonder why they have cracked hinges, crushed and split vinyl, or dirty and torn vinyl, this description should be a reminder:

Console.
Console cover.
Coin Box/ Cassette holder.

Thankfully, the previous owner's knew and respected it.
It brings me joy just looking at it /-;}

If one looks closely, there is a bit of scuffing from the seat belt on the vinyl and a white spot on the latch button. (probably from me).
Gotta get after it ~

note: all photos taken as it arrived in my possession and before my detailing. It'll get taken care of and I will post images of the results. ( sorry about that dead moth and dirt under the carpet pad in the one photo of the 'spray glue' tracks.)

---- just presenting 'raw data'. Unabridged. Unadulterated.

Unmolested by the vacuum, spray bottle, and wet-wipes (-;
Old 06-08-2016, 01:31 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

A few more details

Old 06-08-2016, 01:37 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Old 06-08-2016, 06:54 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

more data exhumed; let me know if this stuff is boring you /-;

Those ignition keys; they have dried grease on them from new. Never been in a lock or ignition as there are NO scratches on the shank at all. Same goes for the other spare keys. And there are two extra plastic cap heads on the ring for the small secondary key or 'Valet' key.

The books fit in the binder so tightly it appears they have not been out in decades. And by the dates recorded in them it could easily be 2 1/2 decades indeed.....
Old 06-08-2016, 07:13 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

the console coin box/ cassette holder, but without any dividers.
Besides the loose insurance card and the penny, there was a small bag of Cherry NIBS. It was dated 06/06.

I didn't eat any or even open it. Felt as hard as buckshot .....
Old 06-08-2016, 11:04 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Keep it coming MGJ. This example shows us the paper work and accessories that in most cases have been scattered to the 4 winds of time.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:19 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I always like to look up old dealer addresses to see what's there now. Looks like there's a still a dealer at 2950 S. Havana but it's now a Mitsubishi dealer.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:36 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Tom!
I was going to call the number tomorrow and see who answered..... but now I know what to expect.

The dealership I ordered my first new Porsche from ( Century Motors- Bismarck, ND ) is gone as well. It was phased out in the late '80s- early '90s during a point in time when the family decided after the patriarch and principal owner, Vance P. died to change course. Porsche was also downsizing their operations nationwide in the U.S. due to the downturn in vehicle sales. I think the low volume they sold and the fact there was a dealer in Fargo, Winnipeg, and two in Mpls-St.Paul, plus one in Sioux Falls was a decision made easy.

This I do know. My first Porsche dealership arrangement was with a man who was a very strong enthusiast. He introduced me to joining PCA right during the deal. He gave me a half dozen recent magazines of the club...... Panorama. He put me in contact with folks at the track and the local region represented by an ardent group of folks in Nord Stern, headquartered out of the Twin Cities.

I look back on his relationship with me at the outset and it set my whole life in motion as a Porsche sports car lover. He in fact ordered the exact same color car as this white one, but in series one guise and it was delivered along with my Guards Red M456. Both were sent thru Weissach prep at the Porsche skunk works and got hand built and fettled engines that were quicker right out of the box. Both were set up with sport shocks and sport springs and limited slip differentials. His car came with a dark brown full leather sport seat arrangement as opposed to the Grey Beige color in my car.

I often wonder what happened to it. It was not at the Estate Sale of all his cars after he died. He had numerous collectible Audis, Porsches, and VWs including transporters, things, pickups, pop-tops, and a spectacular low mileage 2.0 litre 914 in Sunflower that a good friend of mine bought.

Thanks to YOU Vance, I have followed your passions and own the mate to your car you ordered out with mine. Just a couple years off in age and with a few small differences in trim options.

Quick Reply: Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944