Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944, 924S or 928

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 02:47 AM
Jimmyac28
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944, 924S or 928

Posted this on the 928 forum also

Im looking into buying one of this cars as a project. Currently looking at one of each but not sure wich one to get, al 3 are priced around the same and all 3 need work. I will do the repairs myself, what do you guys recommend. Also thinking of maybe doing an LS engine swap into the car so Im not too concerned about engine issues but if its not an expensive fix I will get the engine running so I can drive it while I get all the parts for the swap or just keep it with stock engine if it runs good.

1983 928S auto: body and interior in good condition except for cracked dash, 78000 miles, engine currently off due to head gasket failure.

1984 944 5 speed: body in good condition, clearcoat peeling off, has fuchs wheels, interior in good condition also. Brand new clutch, runs good but leaks coolant (needs new water pump)

1987 924S 5 speed: paint and body in good condition with few small dents, interior good, owner replaced belts, water pump and seals about 3 years ago, replaced clutch recently but gas tank had a leak, gas tank was fixed but he never put the car together. It needs gas tank and transmission installed.

924S

928S

Last edited by Jimmyac28; 05-09-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:38 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

928s are harder to work on, and have more problems. And it'll be tough sourcing all the parts to convert it to a manual (unless you want to keep it auto).

If you're going to swap a chevy engine into it, I recommend looking at completed swaps to see if you like the end result. It all comes down to which car's styling you like more.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:20 AM
AZ520
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

944 Sounds like the cheapest/ easiest route. The early ones are easier and less expensive to maintain. 924s would be nice, its the lightest, but not as sexy. Automatic 928, no fun. Engine swaps are going to cost big, I personally would do a v6 swap in the 924 or 944. A stock 3.8 chevy/ buick would make decent power with no need to upgrade transmission or brakes. Cost 3-5k. Another option is the 924s, if the engine is internally sound, do a mild build and tune. Shave the head for more compression, install 274 web cam, maf kit and tune with a free flowing exhaust. Cost 2-4k just around for just around 200hp. If you can swing it, get both 944 and 924. I have 2 944 and love it, makes trouble shooting very easy and I always have one that is running.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:35 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

You seem like you're kinda new to this - I suggest you get the car which you can start using the soonest. That is the reason for getting a Porsche right? To actually use it?

A 944 (and that includes the 924S) is typically a $5k car. If you buy it for $1k, it needs $4k of work. If you buy it for $5k, it needs very little. I do not know the typical "value" of a 928, but assume it's higher.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:41 AM
Jimmyac28
Advanced

Originally Posted by AZ520
944 Sounds like the cheapest/ easiest route. The early ones are easier and less expensive to maintain. 924s would be nice, its the lightest, but not as sexy. Automatic 928, no fun. Engine swaps are going to cost big, I personally would do a v6 swap in the 924 or 944. A stock 3.8 chevy/ buick would make decent power with no need to upgrade transmission or brakes. Cost 3-5k. Another option is the 924s, if the engine is internally sound, do a mild build and tune. Shave the head for more compression, install 274 web cam, maf kit and tune with a free flowing exhaust. Cost 2-4k just around for just around 200hp. If you can swing it, get both 944 and 924. I have 2 944 and love it, makes trouble shooting very easy and I always have one that is running.
How much power can the stock 944 transmission hold?
Old 05-09-2016, 09:02 PM
AZ520
Instructor

236.7 LOL Not sure actually, no more than 300?
Old 05-09-2016, 09:03 PM
AZ520
Instructor

I like the 924 the best, sleeper status!!
Old 05-09-2016, 10:40 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In this particular case ONLY:

Because the 928 is a Euro spec car AND an automatic, much is model specific and country oriented. You will be searching for many more elusive parts and much more expensive parts because of this. There was a time in America one could not even have a Porsche dealer work on a Euro spec Porsche as the parts and info was not available. This was Porsche's intent. With the advent of the internet, this has changed, but 928 parts are extremely expensive even used. ( the automatic is a Mercedes Benz built item and even carries it's parts numbers and Daimler Benz logo on the case ).

The choice for me would be the 944 because of the FUCHS and the fairly desirable Recaro sport seats (even tho they appear to have been recovered in areas with vinyl ?)
Check that option code tag which is directly below that rear dent on the inside panel by tail light. You may also have an M456 Sports suspension car as well as one with limited slip transaxle.

Skip the notion about a V6 or V8 transplant. They are a waste of time and energy unless you have a couple years to fettle it out, 10 grand in the bank, and hours of hours of research time and phone/face time with the guys who have successfully done it.

The 944 engine is a rewarding engine to rev and enjoy just the way it is. Fix the water pump and t-belt problems and get it running well; that process in itself is a very satisfying experience with lots of people on this forum and others willing to help. This is the very thing which keeps many folk from maintaining these cars and so many get parked because of it. On the outside figure around 1500 to 2000 to do the repairs, as there is always more to be found once a person gets in there. On the other hand, parts can be had for around 5-600 bucks and a do it yourself project can be a very learning , a GREAT experience if you have mechanical aptitude.

That would be my choice. But, the 924 looks to be much more well cared for. Only you know what you're capable of so do that which will make you happy. If you want frustration buy any of them and do the transplant, but I bet in two years it will not be complete and you will have a whole new hatred for the Porsche marque. Which would be totally undeserving for all involved ..... the cars and you.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:05 PM
Jimmyac28
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
In this particular case ONLY:

Because the 928 is a Euro spec car AND an automatic, much is model specific and country oriented. You will be searching for many more elusive parts and much more expensive parts because of this. There was a time in America one could not even have a Porsche dealer work on a Euro spec Porsche as the parts and info was not available. This was Porsche's intent. With the advent of the internet, this has changed, but 928 parts are extremely expensive even used. ( the automatic is a Mercedes Benz built item and even carries it's parts numbers and Daimler Benz logo on the case ).

The choice for me would be the 944 because of the FUCHS and the fairly desirable Recaro sport seats (even tho they appear to have been recovered in areas with vinyl ?)
Check that option code tag which is directly below that rear dent on the inside panel by tail light. You may also have an M456 Sports suspension car as well as one with limited slip transaxle.

Skip the notion about a V6 or V8 transplant. They are a waste of time and energy unless you have a couple years to fettle it out, 10 grand in the bank, and hours of hours of research time and phone/face time with the guys who have successfully done it.

The 944 engine is a rewarding engine to rev and enjoy just the way it is. Fix the water pump and t-belt problems and get it running well; that process in itself is a very satisfying experience with lots of people on this forum and others willing to help. This is the very thing which keeps many folk from maintaining these cars and so many get parked because of it. On the outside figure around 1500 to 2000 to do the repairs, as there is always more to be found once a person gets in there. On the other hand, parts can be had for around 5-600 bucks and a do it yourself project can be a very learning , a GREAT experience if you have mechanical aptitude.

That would be my choice. But, the 924 looks to be much more well cared for. Only you know what you're capable of so do that which will make you happy. If you want frustration buy any of them and do the transplant, but I bet in two years it will not be complete and you will have a whole new hatred for the Porsche marque. Which would be totally undeserving for all involved ..... the cars and you.
How do you know the 928 is a euro spec car?
Old 05-09-2016, 11:41 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It has a red rear fog lite required in Europe and also refitted/ non standard appearing side marker lights.
Look on the left door jamb either by the door lock or somewhere on the jamb plates for a Certification plate to be affixed. It may be gold or silver foil or pop riveted on. The vin will be an EPA designated and given number by the federal agency to the importer to register it within the guidelines at the time.
The speedo and switch gear as well as temp control settings will also be in Euro markings, not the US spec or North American spec style, but the speedo should be converted to MPH not KMH. Your gauge pod appears to be North American spec. but the front bumper also looks as if it has Euro front lights/ fogs...... ALL of this can be verified by the vin number on the windshield pillar as well, because N.A. cars start out with a WPOAA not WPOZZ. There may or may not be a VIN on the A pillar and it also may or may not appear as Porsche original fitment.

It could also just have all those indicators on the exterior I went by, added by a former owner, but it usually is an indicator when one sees those trim items, the car is Euro Spec. They also more commonly have cloth interiors and door cards and no sunroof or air con.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:56 PM
Jimmyac28
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
It has a red rear fog lite required in Europe and also refitted/ non standard appearing side marker lights.
Look on the left door jamb either by the door lock or somewhere on the jamb plates for a Certification plate to be affixed. It may be gold or silver foil or pop riveted on. The vin will be an EPA designated and given number by the federal agency to the importer to register it within the guidelines at the time.
The speedo and switch gear as well as temp control settings will also be in Euro markings, not the US spec or North American spec style, but the speedo should be converted to MPH not KMH. Your gauge pod appears to be North American spec. but the front bumper also looks as if it has Euro front lights/ fogs...... ALL of this can be verified by the vin number on the windshield pillar as well, because N.A. cars start out with a WPOAA not WPOZZ. There may or may not be a VIN on the A pillar and it also may or may not appear as Porsche original fitment.

It could also just have all those indicators on the exterior I went by, added by a former owner, but it usually is an indicator when one sees those trim items, the car is Euro Spec. They also more commonly have cloth interiors and door cards and no sunroof or air con.
Thanks for all the good info
Old 05-10-2016, 12:32 AM
Jimmyac28
Advanced

I might have made up my mind, think Im getting the 944
Old 05-10-2016, 12:46 AM
JBC1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jimmyac28
I might have made up my mind, think Im getting the 944
I'd have the rocker panels checked out carefully. The body molding is likely caused rust on the panels.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:52 AM
Jimmyac28
Advanced

I will
Old 05-10-2016, 01:48 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Get the 928 or the 924 that 944 is a worthless pile of rust