Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944, 924S or 928

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016 | 02:11 AM
Jimmyac28
Advanced

Why do you say that?
Old 05-10-2016 | 02:14 AM
Jimmyac28
Advanced

Originally Posted by lart951
Get the 928 or the 924 that 944 is a worthless pile of rust
Why do you say the 944 is a pile of rust?
Old 05-10-2016 | 02:28 AM
Jimmyac28
Advanced

Originally Posted by lart951
Get the 928 or the 924 that 944 is a worthless pile of rust
So I should pass on the 944 and instead get the 928 or the 924?
Old 05-10-2016 | 02:30 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

From: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by AZ520
236.7 LOL Not sure actually, no more than 300?

no worries; theres 4 or 500 parts that will fail first.

you want a 968. way better car than a 928.

way better car for eventual V8 swap than a 928.
Old 05-10-2016 | 02:47 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Take a look at the car, as perhaps Lart already has.

Determine if you have rust under the battery in the box area that butts up against the firewall. Or you have water coming in and is in the floor areas front and rear. Make sure there is sound metal under those rocker mouldings and these things can be done by just simply crawling under and around it and seeing if it has soft areas. Bring a small screw driver to act as a 'pick' and probe those areas.
Then make a decision.

Some may just wish to make these parts cars and rather see them donate their goods to make other cars whole. Not accusing anyone of that here, but sometimes one just has to determine what is right in their own minds by doing their own homework by themselves.
Due Diligence. Go look at it and look closely.
Old 05-10-2016 | 02:53 AM
Jimmyac28
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Take a look at the car, as perhaps Lart already has.

Determine if you have rust under the battery in the box area that butts up against the firewall. Or you have water coming in and is in the floor areas front and rear. Make sure there is sound metal under those rocker mouldings and these things can be done by just simply crawling under and around it and seeing if it has soft areas. Bring a small screw driver to act as a 'pick' and probe those areas.
Then make a decision.

Some may just wish to make these parts cars and rather see them donate their goods to make other cars whole. Not accusing anyone of that here, but sometimes one just has to determine what is right in their own minds by doing their own homework by themselves.
Due Diligence. Go look at it and look closely.
I will
Old 05-10-2016 | 06:46 AM
JBC1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jimmyac28
Why do you say that?
A previous owner (PO) has but side molding on the rocker panels. It is likely that they screwed in the molding. The 944 is treated at the factory and the entire body is "dipped" in a solution that prevents rust well as long as the integrity of that coating on the body sheet metal is not damaged. I have seen pictures where the water leaks into the rocker panel and rust them from the inside out.
Old 05-11-2016 | 11:37 PM
Jimmyac28
Advanced

Originally Posted by JBC1
A previous owner (PO) has but side molding on the rocker panels. It is likely that they screwed in the molding. The 944 is treated at the factory and the entire body is "dipped" in a solution that prevents rust well as long as the integrity of that coating on the body sheet metal is not damaged. I have seen pictures where the water leaks into the rocker panel and rust them from the inside out.
i just went and took a look at it again and did the screwdriver test and rocker panels are solid. And the side moldings look like fatory installed as they are not screwed in. They are intalled using what look like factory plastic clips, no metal screws
Old 05-12-2016 | 12:37 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Good to know there wasn't any lower panel rust. How was the bottom of the battery tray ? Any water leaks into the glove box area or any rusty stains on the passenger carpet from a leaky battery box ?

These boxed rockers are always an aftermarket add or dealer add using a/m parts. These were never put on at the factory.

How else did it appear ? Did you take down the codes in the rear boot area ?
Old 05-12-2016 | 12:57 AM
Jimmyac28
Advanced

Good to know there wasn't any lower panel rust. How was the bottom of the battery tray ? Any water leaks into the glove box area or any rusty stains on the passenger carpet from a leaky battery box ?

These boxed rockers are always an aftermarket add or dealer add using a/m parts. These were never put on at the factory.

How else did it appear ? Did you take down the codes in the rear boot area ?
Battery box is solid and no water or rust spots on passenger carpet

Here are the codes:

I just looked up the paint code and it says saphire metallic, so that it was painted black at some point. Im not too sure about getting it now that I see that it was repainted a different color

Last edited by Jimmyac28; 05-12-2016 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-12-2016 | 01:59 AM
jbob
Racer

if you can get the 924S for a decent deal, and are ok with having to squeeze some power out of your car and aren't too large of a person (924S feels a little tighter and older school than the interiors of especially 1986+ models)

i have a 924S and totally dig the sleeper status. cops cut me breaks maybe more than the slightly ricey lines of not cleanly set up stock or modified 944's which can start to look pretty gatorade and high schooler if ratty. (944 guys I am mainly in jest and know that the 924S is sort of lacking in looks compared to most if not all its brethren under most criteria.)

working on these cars is a fun adventure - they seem super well engineered and have just enough to do while not being as over engineered as the 928 where you would have double the power but maybe 3 times the complexity or more in some areas.

driving them is super fun and if you live in a city they give lots of chances to work em, without ending up at 80mph in several seconds like some of the more pure power cars.
Old 05-12-2016 | 02:17 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jimmyac28
Battery box is solid and no water or rust spots on passenger carpet

Here are the codes:

I just looked up the paint code and it says saphire metallic, so that it was painted black at some point. Im not too sure about getting it now that I see that it was repainted a different color
What you are showing us is this:

-A car originally in Sapphire Metallic...... not a very common color at all.

-Your photo shows the very desirable Recaro Sport Seats still in it.

-Your photo shows it wearing the very desirable FUCHS wheels.

-Codes show it had come with factory Sport 4 spoke steering wheel AND the Raised hub wheel adaptor which brings the wheel closer to you and off your knees. A quite uncommonly seen option and VERY desirable ( to me and many others; I have it in my sunroof delete car and LOVE it. )

- M456 Sport Suspension, sport shocks, heavy duty front and rear sway bars. Not many came this way from Porsche, and is all good. Even if you do have to replace them with o.e. parts.

The only desirable option NOT on this car is 220 - LSD or limited slip diff.

Just go back and get that car tomorrow. The rest can all be made right in time and with money. You have a great foundation to start with.

I wouldn't even give the other two a moments reconsideration as replacements to this sports car. Unless you wish to buy all 3.

This build was as close to an M030 car as you will find. The holy grail of finding a track prepped 944 for the street.
Old 05-12-2016 | 05:48 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I don't know if this is your first Porsche, and how good of a mechanic you are. Or how big your budget is...

What do you want the car for? The track? Cruising? Tinkering?

If you definitely want to do a v8, forget the 924, because its value is in a fixed up engine. And the narrow body can't hold very wide tires.

The 944 needs like $500 in parts for the water pump, belts, rollers, seals, but it has the cooler (and more valuable) seats and wheels. And a wider body. But it looks like the 924S has no sunroof, which is very rare and some people (like me) love it.

The 928 head gasket job isn't very easy. I say don't bother with it unless you're going to do the chevy swap. If you decide to keep the original engine in, the 924S is the best choice because it has all the big work done already. If you're not sure, you can't go wrong with that 944.
Old 05-12-2016 | 10:55 AM
Jimmyac28
Advanced

What you are showing us is this:

-A car originally in Sapphire Metallic...... not a very common color at all.

-Your photo shows the very desirable Recaro Sport Seats still in it.

-Your photo shows it wearing the very desirable FUCHS wheels.

-Codes show it had come with factory Sport 4 spoke steering wheel AND the Raised hub wheel adaptor which brings the wheel closer to you and off your knees. A quite uncommonly seen option and VERY desirable ( to me and many others; I have it in my sunroof delete car and LOVE it. )

- M456 Sport Suspension, sport shocks, heavy duty front and rear sway bars. Not many came this way from Porsche, and is all good. Even if you do have to replace them with o.e. parts.

The only desirable option NOT on this car is 220 - LSD or limited slip diff.

Just go back and get that car tomorrow. The rest can all be made right in time and with money. You have a great foundation to start with.

I wouldn't even give the other two a moments reconsideration as replacements to this sports car. Unless you wish to buy all 3.

This build was as close to an M030 car as you will find. The holy grail of finding a track prepped 944 for the street.
It was originally saphire metallic but now its painted black, that is the part that Im not sure about. Everything else checks out. The fact that it was painted black from being saphire metallic has raised a flag
Old 05-12-2016 | 01:51 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

And ......

that flag is ?

Look at the paint. It needs a total refurb. THAT you knew going in when standing by the car and seeing something which looks like the bottom of a cardboard box after it's been pushed around on a sidewalk by your neighbor's kids.

It can always go back to the fairly rare color Sapphire when you get it running and the dent repaired; a good forum post to follow on this unique color is the one started last year by CTK on his garage find with 3,xxx some miles. It rises to the top of the forum every few weeks...... in fact I will post something on it right now so it will be near the forum page top and you can find it easily. It's a great write-up by a guy who remembers seeing the neighbor's blue car next door and retrieves it 30 some years later and now has it up and running. Inspiring stuff.

You have found a car with very uncommon, somewhat rare and unique features. In some parts of these United States, this kind of model isn't even known. They usually went to mountainous parts of the country, to populated areas with enthusiasts, to locations which were fairly close to tracks where folks would get them out and compete on track days with. I virtually searched for these cars for 25 years to find good examples to add to my collection..... 944s with the codes 456, 220, and wearing FUCHS and Sport Seats. Manual transmission with lsd transaxles.

Believe me, they are just NOT plentiful; not on every curb in every town. You may never see another one in your life, and paint color is scaring you away ?

Think this thru very carefully. The next guy to get it just may be a 15 year old high school kid with 'rice on the mind' and nothing good to come along after.

Quick Reply: 944, 924S or 928