Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944, 924S or 928

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 04:49 AM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Perhaps there are those who actually LIKE the beauty of driving a momentum sports car well; driving a slower car fast, rather than driving a faster car slow ( we all gotta brake sometime for that apex ), and doing it with an original drivetrain saying Porsche on the engine rather than Chevrolet.
Or you want to choose the third option...to drive a fast car fast. Something you can't do with an N/A 944. Which leaves you with two options, buy a Turbo or do an engine swap.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:47 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
Can we make a subforum for V8 conversions? I'm tired of the topic hijacking every thread, being crammed down our throats, then they go on the attack when we don't embrace it like the gospel.
THIS ~
Old 06-01-2016, 03:04 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
----- sad to see you take this perception, but what I was referring to began @ post 19. It became even more assertive in post #47. I really never attempted to 'bash' Jimmy's concept, just pointed out exception to that position. Perhaps 'bashing' is your choice of words in an attempt to make things personal as you have attempted on other posts in other threads. Again, sad.

Why do folks who support the notion of rearranging the personality of a car, become the ones so quick to become defensive ?

Why do you think we who are appreciative of a sports car's originality, somewhat less than 'getting it' and perhaps live unfulfilled and semi-barbaric lives by not planning similar swaps ?

If there is merit in repowering of these models, after re-engineering why do they have zero resale value other than to the perhaps several hundred people thinking Corvette power the holy grail ? Why don't the rest of us owners jump ship and join the group of 're-purposed' Porsches ? Why are there so many incomplete attempts at swaps lying half butchered under a tree in the backyard ?

Why do race sanctioning bodies or PCA not allow 'non-Porsche' engined Porsches to compete in events ?

Perhaps there are those who actually LIKE the beauty of driving a momentum sports car well; driving a slower car fast, rather than driving a faster car slow ( we all gotta brake sometime for that apex ), and doing it with an original drivetrain saying Porsche on the engine rather than Chevrolet.

And using a book or download commensurate with make and model, rather than hazarding a guess at what a previous swapper has done on installation.
Please, show me where I made things personal.

I don't think anyone who likes a car in original form is barbaric. I don't know how or why you draw such conclusions or try to cast me in such a light.

The fact that v8 conversions have low resale value is because of people like you, who consider them bastardizations and convince everyone else to stay away from them. The 944 itself has a really poor resale value - doesn't mean it's a piece of crap!

PCA doesn't allow v8 944s because, among other reasons, it's an impossible thing to class properly. Also, it is the Porsche Club, after all. Yet, what about if someone were to put a 928 V8 into a 944? PCA would allow it. And how would you feel about that car?

You are free to drive your car however you like, and with whatever word written on your engine that you like. But don't go around saying that the other option is garbage just because you don't like it and it's not pure.

I hope it never happens to you, but if your #2 rod bearing ever fails, or your timing belt breaks, or your cylinders get scored, I hope you can take solace in that really cool name written on your engine.

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
Can we make a subforum for V8 conversions? I'm tired of the topic hijacking every thread, being crammed down our throats, then they go on the attack when we don't embrace it like the gospel.
I'm not cramming anything down any throats. I'm coughing because purism is being crammed down my throat.

I guess haters gonna hate, no matter what.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:59 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

V-8 conversion fails have NOTHING to do with any Porsche purist/enthusiast persuasions; they fail on their own lack of merit. And expense. And complexity.

The value retention fails quite simply because it appeals to a very small audience and usually has come from a very distinct group of folks who best leave mechanical complexities such as these to professionals. Maybe you are. BUT, most have been done by less than able folks and the results are usually less than 'professional' in appearance and performance. You've seen them; please don't deny it. We all have. Even the so called bastardized versions which have turned out well, FAR outstrip in cost what they will ever be worth in the future. Reality.

The aforementioned issues with t-belts, rod bearings boils down to one thing and one thing only.

Improper or lack of maintenance by owners who have not done the right thing by their machine.

I own one 944 which I bought new; the others came from owners such as I who have attended to maint. values scrupulously. Never had any issues with either bearings or belts destroying valvetrains. I know of ONE car locally which failed on the track with less than 5,000 miles in 1986 due to a rod bearing turning. The car was run low on oil and began to knock on a high speed corner when the oil pump scavenged dry.

HOW do these issues discard the relevancy and beauty of the 944 engine design, when most fails are relating to a lack of owner's doing their due diligence and properly caring for their cars ? Why do these items always come to the forefront of the fray when discussing the necessity to improve 944s by dumping in a crate 350 ? I own several Chevrolet high performance V-8s and certainly do not believe they are superior in every way to Porsche engine design......and would never consider one as a replacement. No matter if it made the car 'far superior' in so called performance.

By the way.... this IS a place where Porsches are discussed. Many of us here don't consider a re-powered by Chevrolet-944 a Porsche any longer. Even you yourself underlined the word Porsche in your last comment, seeming to emphasize the fact that Porsche Club IS for Porsches and Porsche owners. So, why is it YOU who is getting your nose out of joint with so called purists cramming anything down your throat ?

Quick Reply: 944, 924S or 928