Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Say a prayer for Kenny Brack

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 05:30 AM
mixor
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Swedish media is reporting that both legs are broken on several places, and that he's sustained serious injuries to chest, back and head. Seems he was concious after the crash though, and that his current status is "Serious but stable". Looking at the crash it seems unbelivable that he's even alive. Hope he'll pull through!

/Matti
Old 10-13-2003, 05:46 AM
pikey7
Drifting

according to his own website.......

"Skadorna är inte livshotande och vi förväntar oss att Kenny Bräck blir helt återställd", säger IRL:s egen läkare, Henry Bock i en kommuniké.

"His injuries are not life threatening and we expect Kenny to make a full recovery" says IRL doctor Henry Bock in a press statement.

Thank god!
Old 10-13-2003, 07:28 AM
JoakimJ
Instructor

I wonder if he is going to continue with racing after this...

Last edited by JoakimJ; 10-13-2003 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:31 AM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

Multiple fractures in the lumbar area, fractured sternum, fractures in both ankles and a fractured right femur is what was reported last night... along with the obvious concussion. There are reports that he was cracking jokes (after regaining consciousness) in the infield care center to diffuse the tension and to calm his wife since they are expecting a child in the near future. To do that while in excruciating pain tells us quite a bit about him.

Last edited by 924Superwagen; 10-13-2003 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:19 AM
icat
Race Car

WOW! Prayers are definitely in order.

Dan, thanks for posting the video link.

I'm shocked by two things. First, of course, is the severity of the crash. And second - where are the fans? The stands look empty? I realize that the IRL isn't the most popular race venue, but those stands look totally empty.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:26 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by icat
WOW! Prayers are definitely in order.

Dan, thanks for posting the video link.

I'm shocked by two things. First, of course, is the severity of the crash. And second - where are the fans? The stands look empty? I realize that the IRL isn't the most popular race venue, but those stands look totally empty.
I was thinking the same thing. At one point during the commentator said there were over 100K in the stands, I am not buying it. The place looked empty. Only fans I saw were in the center grandstands on the main straight starting like 15 rows up. Not very impressive.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:00 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are looking at the back side of the track. Those stands are not used except for Nascar (with the IRL cars the speeds are too great and accidents, as you saw can injure the people in those areas). TMS, is never full except for NASCAR. There were 100K plus there, it is a really large grandstand opposite the crash. Additionally, this happened very near the end of the race and people rooting for certain drivers had already left. I have seen a lot of race crashes (no I dont watch NASCAR) and this one is right up there with the one that took the legs of Alex Zanardi. I think Kenny will be okay, he was life-flighted to Parkland Memorial. ESPN reports that he has a broken sternum, broken lower back, fractured femur, broken ankles, etc. We is scheduled for more surgery today at Parkland.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:20 PM
icat
Race Car

Thanks for the clarification on the attendance Matt. I know the CART boys declined to race there a year or so ago because of the high speeds. The NASCAR bunch, for all "some" of us seem to dispise them, do put on a great show and that's what fills the stands.

From what I can recall from when I lived in the DFW area, Parkland is a fine medical facility. Hopefully the surgeons will be able to get Kenny back to 100%.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:51 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I am sure they will do their best. When CART decided not to race there I had a group of over 200 people. They were probably right in their decision, cars were topping 240 IIRC.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:47 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While a long time ago, Parkland is where JFK was taken after he was assassinated. It is a pretty good hospital.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:17 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Kenny is one down to earth guy, one of my favorite drivers that I have actually met (pretty good guitar player, too). My heart almost stopped when I saw all of the rescue crew around the car cutting him out. Reminded me of one of my other favorites who I had just met at the time, Greg Moore. Greg was the resident prankster and gang leader among the young guns at the time (Kanaan, Papis, Carpentier, Tagliani) and although Kenny is not as extroverted as Greg was, he has the same kind of wit. No wonder he was cracking jokes through the pain. People sometimes don't really realize what these guys actually go through for their jobs even when they don't have horrific crashes and how "cold as ice" they can be when the pressure is on. They wouldn't have it any other way. Wouldn't surprise me to see him right back in a car again. Until then, I wish him all the best.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:36 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Wade, I would say from the extent of the injuries (just talked to a friend at Parkland and they are doing more surgery) I dont think he will be back at it in the near future. He is lucky to be alive and even more lucky to be able to walk again. The plan AFAIK, is to finish at Parkland today and fly him to Indy in the next few days. There will be a lot of recovery because of the broken thigh bone, he will be in a back brace because of the broken back and sternum, lots of pins in the ankles. It was really bad because my wife was there and she is doing her first DE in November. It is hard to explain to some people that accidents on track are the exception and not the norm.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:39 PM
Mark Parker
Burning Brakes

I know that those cars are equipped with telemetry, and I can't help but wonder as I watch the video,,I know it may seem a little bizarre,,but what kind of G forces were being generated as the tub was spinning. They had to have been phenomenal. I've read that F1 and Indy car crashes have been logged at upward of 30G, which makes these guys, unintentionally, some exreme case studies in the limits of human physical endurance.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:46 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

That he survived is a testament to how the cars are built. The way that the dirvers compartment went spinning down the track, it was hard to believe he was still in the car. Good to see safety keeping up with the speeds these cars reach.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:46 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

40-50G is pretty much the norm in those crashes where they hit the wall at larger angles (that's momentarily of course, but SHEESH.......). Greg Moore's black box was in the 90's. But you are right, what about the way that tub was spinning, and while you are in pain from the injuries in the initial impact.

Quick Reply: Say a prayer for Kenny Brack