Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Cab build date

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 05:02 AM
aussie944cab
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 944 Cab build date

Hi all,
I'm in a situation of trying to get my fathers 944 Cab (which he's giving me) into Australia,
For it to be eligible it needs to have a build date of pre Jan 1 1989,
Now on first look you would say no way as the cabs first real production year was 1990, except that my VIN numbers shows as it being 1989 MODEL year, (WP0ZZZ94ZKN431347 )
I believe that the 89 model year runs from September 88 to August 89, ((correct me if I'm wrong),
I've tried loads of VIN decoders but none give me the build date, Australian rules state that the "build date is when it leaves the factory after the body and engine have been mated"
I thought I heard somewhere that 944 Cabs were modified 944 coupes, so could it have left the factory in 1988, then modified in 1989???
I know I'm clutching at straws but I really want to be able to import it as it has great sentimental value
Thanks for taking the time to read this and look forward to any comments
Steve

Last edited by aussie944cab; 04-01-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:02 AM
911lnv87
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually you can find the build date of your car in the engine bay, there is a sticker (Black) on the driver side along/around the fuse box if my memory is good enough. This at least is trus for 944 coupe
Old 03-31-2016, 04:39 PM
aussie944cab
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks,
Unfortunatly the sticker is no longer readable,
Another option is to remove the speedo cluster and see the date stamp on the back of that but as I'm in Aus and the car is in the UK, that would be a costly excersise.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:54 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie944cab
Another option is to remove the speedo cluster and see the date stamp on the back of that but as I'm in Aus and the car is in the UK, that would be a costly excersise.
The date stamp on a part, unless the cluster has some sort of specific exception, is not an indicator of build date. It is possible it could match, but unlikely. The date on the cluster could range anywhere from a month or a year prior to the car's production. Parts would sit on shelves or in bins before they made their way to a car.

As for the cabriolet modification, I don't think that is too relevant. The cars would have returned from ASC (conversion company) back to Neckarsulm for final painting and assembly. Then they would obtain their build month. While I could be wrong, I highly doubt the cabriolets' departure to port was from ASC, the logistics would have been a nightmare.

In what country was the car originally delivered? If you call a Porsche dealer in that country, they should be able to tell you (with the VIN*) what the car's delivery date and build date are. At the very least they should be able to tell you the delivery date (arrives at dealer / "in-service date" / purchased).

You can also call Porsche AG, via which you can obtain a Certificate of Authenticity which shows when the production month.

The CoA is somewhat expensive. You could talk to them and see if, alternatively, you could get a notarized document from Porsche stating what month it left the factory.

You can also look in the trunk at the build sticker (obviously not easy since the car isn't accessible) - that sticker may have build month on it.

All that said; I would start by calling a UK Porsche dealer (assuming the car originally was delivered to the UK). If they can't help, call Porsche Cars Great Britain. You can also try Porsche Club Great Britain. If neither of them help getting some sort of documentation proving the build date, call Porsche AG in Stuttgart.

*You may need to provide some sort of proof of ownership to get this sort of build documentation. I can't remember if it is required.

Good luck in your quest!
Old 04-01-2016, 04:49 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie944cab
I've tried loads of VIN decoders but none give me the build date.
Is there a sticker with the VIN and build date, on the driver side, along the door jam near the striker plate or on the door itself near the lock mechanism?
Old 04-01-2016, 11:33 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Also, search the internet for 944s similar to yours. Then check their VIN and build date (assuming their sticker has not worn out) and you should be able to narrow it down.

Quick Reply: 944 Cab build date