Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prelude to a car theft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 01:36 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

All I have to say is this. When you live among predators, you fear. If you don't, you die. It is not unfounded to fear your neighbor here depending where you live. My uncle was trying to help a woman being raped when he had his guts splattered on the wall by a 12 gauge shotgun. I do believe Canadians are respectful and decent people. Its also the reason I do not believe you can relate or understand. Live in a place where you have your face kicked in for trying to help someone at a party being beaten with a bat by 8 guys will help you believe that "not all men were created equal, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson made them equal". We have a diverse group of people living here, especially in S. Ca. with lots of differences. I personally have dealt with drug dealers, gangsters, murderers, thieves, liars, and a whole assortment of crooks over the years. Its not too hard to find people like that. Just go to the local police impound auctions or insurance auctions where money laundering for drug dealers occur. Its a different jungle down here. Try it before you say we are parenoid.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:46 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

"not all men were created equal, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson made them equal".

And Mr. Colt made them superior.

"The things I don't like about guns are they make killing too easy....."

Not true. It can. But gunfighting is as difficult if not more so than sword fighting. And it's irrelevant. Cars made horse riding obsolete. THat's the nature of tecnology. Swordfighting may make it more difficult to kill someone, but it also maims both parties, it is much more greusome in my opinion, and pretty brutal. THe difference between putting an animal to sleep and dismembering it.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:57 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mr. Thompson made them more than equal though Mr. Browning definitely made his case with the BAR
Old 10-09-2003, 02:05 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

I thought we were just talking handguns. But if that's the case. General Electrics interpretation of Mr. Gatlings work definitely makes a point or two.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:43 AM
RI951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's cliche, but true: Guns don't kill people. People kill people. I would submit that most of us appear technically oriented, and as such, tend to plan contingencies for the unexpected. It's why we have a spare tire, carry an umbrella, wear a seatbelt, and have car insurance.For me, fear comes in part from NOT being prepared. Believe me, if I KNEW when something bad was gonna happen, my way of dealing with it would be avoidance. But none of us know anything about the future. So we plan for it as best we can. The beauty about being an American, is that (so far) I can also plan ahead for confrontation. I got my *** whupped many years ago, just outside the Navy base gates, just walking to the mall by myself one afternoon. I absolutely did not deserve it. The group just wanted to beat up a sailor, and I could not escape. Lord know I tried. Didn't like the beating one bit. Would like it even less if it happened to my wife. Wanted the opportunity to change the odds a bit if I ever got cornered again. A handgun, some training, a permit, and regular practice removes the fear of NOT being prepared. And truth be told, the responsibility from that gun makes me even MORE submissive. Trust me, I am as timid a person as you'll likley meet. Up to the point of genuine fear for my life. So far, I've not felt gotten to that point. Not even close. But there have been times when a little steel provided alot of reassurance.

Do I enjoy the feeling of carrying a gun? Not at all. So much so, that I don't carry 99% of the time, especially when I'm alone. But when the wife and I are dressed up, walking the streets of the city on a beautiful night to a restaraunt 6 blocks down, I believe that we look like an easy mark (I'm maybe 155 lbs). And so I plan for that contingency. Just like carrying an umbrella. And so far, I've never had to draw it (the gun, not the umbrella).

Criminals won't go away. All the foot stamping and whining and kumbuya singing ain't gonna make it happen.

I suppose I would let someone swipe my 951, rather than take their life. It is just a car. (OK, not JUST a car...) But if the sweep of a Crimson Trace laser across their chest causes them to think otherwise, I don't see the harm in trying. If you still REALLY want the car after that, you are not thinking rationally, anyways.

Quick Reply: Prelude to a car theft?